Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016  (Read 8845 times)

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Picking up my parents, driving down to my brothers an eating whatever size turkey and whatever else they serve.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Beautiful daybreak this morning

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

But before that, starting out with this little number from Viaje:

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Picking up my parents, driving down to my brothers an eating whatever size turkey and whatever else they serve.
Saved yourself a lot of thinking and planning that way.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

But before that, starting out with this little number from Viaje:
Good start to the day!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Local store provided my favorite Thanksgiving pie fresh baked yesterday, Peach Praline.  They are some kind of good.

Everything else from scratch at home, Mesquite Smoked Turkey, Cornbread Dressing (made with homemade cornbread), Candied Sweet Potatoes (fresh sweet potatoes) and Green Bean Casserole made with fresh green beans.
I'm doing simple. cherry pie (frozen), apple raison (homemade ), pumpkin (filling from a can), custard (store bought), 16# turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, dinner rolls. lady's oldest daughter might show up, and a friend of ours that has no family or place to go.
11# turkey here and just the warden and me this year.  Boy and DIL are coming for a week in mid-December for the holidays.  They are leaving SC after lunch today headed to Alabama to visit the new grandog for the weekend.

Invited the older neighbors down the street last year and they came at 10 in the morning, drank up a bottle of vodka worth of bloody Mary's before 1:00 pm lunch and then just stayed for dinner too.  They don't care about football just like to talk, Fuct up our whole day so they did not get an invite this year.
you better hope they don't think they have an open invitation now.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

But before that, starting out with this little number from Viaje:
ha, never seen one of those.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

why is pardoning turkeys such a big fucking deal. I hope Donald doesn't take that route.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all. Looking forward to a couple smokes later around the turkey fryers

[...]

Ha, they asked us last week what we were doing for Thanksgiving and we told the getting the house ready to sell.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all. Looking forward to a couple smokes later around the turkey fryers
Morning Fish

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

why is pardoning turkeys such a big fucking deal. I hope Donald doesn't take that route.
Be careful what you ask for:

President Harry S. Truman receiving a non-pardoned Thanksgiving turkey (this one a Bronze) from members of the Poultry and Egg National Board and other representatives of the turkey industry, outside the White House on November 16, 1949.
On various occasions, turkeys had been donated to the President as gifts from private citizens. Henry Vose, a Rhode Island turkey farmer, presented a turkey to the President each year from 1873 until his death in 1913.[2]

The official presentation of a turkey to the President each year began in 1947 under President Harry Truman, and many sources erroneously attribute the origin of the turkey pardon to Truman. However, the Truman Library says that no documents, speeches, newspaper clippings, photographs or other contemporary records are known to exist that specify that he ever "pardoned" a turkey; there are records that he publicly admitted to eating at least some of them.[1][3] The Eisenhower Presidential Library says documents in their collection reveal that President Dwight Eisenhower ate the birds presented to him during his two terms. President John F. Kennedy spontaneously spared a turkey on November 18, 1963, just four days before his assassination. The bird was wearing a sign reading, "Good Eating Mr. President." Kennedy returned the massive 55-pound turkey to the farm, saying "we'll let this one grow."[4] At least one headline in the Los Angeles Times referred to it as a pardon, but Kennedy did not refer to it as such.[5] Likewise, Richard Nixon also spared some of the turkeys given to him during his time as President.[6]

The first President on record issuing a "pardon" to his turkey was Ronald Reagan, who pardoned a turkey named Charlie and sent him to a petting zoo in 1987. The reference to it being a pardon was in response to criticism over the Iran-Contra affair, in which Reagan had been questioned on whether or not he would consider pardoning Oliver North (who had yet to be tried for his involvement in the affair); Reagan conjured the turkey pardon as a joke to deflect those questions.[1][7] Reagan did not pardon a turkey in his final year as President in 1988, but his successor, George H. W. Bush, instituted the turkey pardon as a permanent part of the presentation beginning his first year in office, 1989, in response to the protests of animal rights activists.[2] Since then, at least one of the turkeys presented to the President has been taken to a farm where it will live out the rest of its natural life. For many years the turkeys were sent to Frying Pan Farm Park in Fairfax County, Virginia. From 2005 to 2009, the pardoned turkeys were sent to either the Disneyland Resort in California or the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, where they served as the honorary grand marshals of Disney's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In 2010, 2011 and 2012,[8] the turkeys were sent to live at Mount Vernon, the estate and home of George Washington; Mount Vernon stopped displaying and accepting the turkeys due to the fact that they violated the estate's policy of maintaining its own historical accuracy (Washington never farmed turkeys). The 2013, 2014 and 2015 turkeys were sent to Morven Park in Leesburg, Virginia, the estate of former Virginia governor (and prolific turkey farmer) Westmoreland Davis.[9] Virginia Polytechnic Institute will house the 2016 pardoned turkey.

[...]

I may have to make a Bloody Mary this morning, sounds good

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all. Looking forward to a couple smokes later around the turkey fryers
Morning Fish
Morning Tex, Warheads and Neanderthals will be here tomorrow

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! 11/24/2016

Picking up my parents, driving down to my brothers an eating whatever size turkey and whatever else they serve.
Saved yourself a lot of thinking and planning that way.
That's the plan.  I host Christmas eve, but don't do any cooking for that either... ???
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8