dogdays

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »

Por Larranaga Panetela, July '13 box.  1 week of downtime here, I believe.  Caramel and floral pre-light aroma, nice wrapper shade, a bit rough looking.  Draw is that usual tripa corta draw--kinda resistant, kinda not, but will smoke just fine.

Quick light, initial flavors are wood and a faint sweetness.  And as expected, plenty of smoke.  Next few puffs reveals a slightly dry, woody smoke, with a light/creamy coffee flavor and some of that caramel sweetness on the back end/as a real lingering finish.  Basically nothing in the way of spice/pepper.  Retro is slightly floral.
Hey Will I have a box of PLP, on the way.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »

And some Jose L. Piedra , 25 for $40 .
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

Por Larranaga Panetela, July '13 box.  1 week of downtime here, I believe.  Caramel and floral pre-light aroma, nice wrapper shade, a bit rough looking.  Draw is that usual tripa corta draw--kinda resistant, kinda not, but will smoke just fine.

Quick light, initial flavors are wood and a faint sweetness.  And as expected, plenty of smoke.  Next few puffs reveals a slightly dry, woody smoke, with a light/creamy coffee flavor and some of that caramel sweetness on the back end/as a real lingering finish.  Basically nothing in the way of spice/pepper.  Retro is slightly floral.
Hey Will I have a box of PLP, on the way.

I think you'll enjoy them.  This one is burning straight, though getting some runs from the coarse veins in the wrapper.  First one I had was a bit prettier and burned nicer.  No touch ups yet, though.

A little less dry, coffee flavor getting a bit stronger, still kinda creamy with a lingering sweetness.  Touch of spice.  Last retro was a blast of cedar.  It's on the milder side of things, but a very nice, strong flavor to it.  For ~$2.50/ea or so they're a real solid value and absolutely have a place in the rotation.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

[...]

They sound great , cant wait to try them.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

PLP continuing on much the same.  Overall a sweet smoke, somewhere around medium bodied.  Laid back, non-aggressive flavor profile--little to no spice/pepper.  Lingering sweet finish.  At times it reminds me of creamy coffee and at others a caramel type flavor.

Core flavors are still coffee, wood, slightly dry/leathery.  Just a hint of spice.  Retro is slightly cedary/spicy with a touch of floral notes.  Draws fine, plenty of smoke, bit of resistance.  Ash lasts .5-.75 of an inch, not great but consistently every 3 or 4 puffs it'll fall off when you put down on the ash tray.  I'd rather that than something which sometimes lasts an inch and other times falls off on your shirt.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »

PLP continuing on much the same.  Overall a sweet smoke, somewhere around medium bodied.  Laid back, non-aggressive flavor profile--little to no spice/pepper.  Lingering sweet finish.  At times it reminds me of creamy coffee and at others a caramel type flavor.

Core flavors are still coffee, wood, slightly dry/leathery.  Just a hint of spice.  Retro is slightly cedary/spicy with a touch of floral notes.  Draws fine, plenty of smoke, bit of resistance.  Ash lasts .5-.75 of an inch, not great but consistently every 3 or 4 puffs it'll fall off when you put down on the ash tray.  I'd rather that than something which sometimes lasts an inch and other times falls off on your shirt.
for sure , I hate when the ash falls on me , cuba libre on fire here, not a bad cigar. but would I buy more no.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »

Into the second half the core flavors have gotten stronger along with a slight increase in spiciness.  I'd say it's a dark roasted coffee type now, not much in the way of creaminess though it still has a sweet finish.  Not the most complex smoke ever, but very rich, satisfying core flavors and a very wallet friendly price point.

While it's apples and oranges, I'd take the PLP or RG Perla over the Papa Fritas or Illusione CC, no question.  I'd also probably skip on buying the Quinteros again in lieu of spending a little more for these.  Not that the Quinteros are bad. I just prefer this flavor profile more (and I'm sure the opposite could apply based on who is doing the smoking).
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »

Por Larranaga Panetela, July '13 box.  1 week of downtime here, I believe.  Caramel and floral pre-light aroma, nice wrapper shade, a bit rough looking.  Draw is that usual tripa corta draw--kinda resistant, kinda not, but will smoke just fine.

Quick light, initial flavors are wood and a faint sweetness.  And as expected, plenty of smoke.  Next few puffs reveals a slightly dry, woody smoke, with a light/creamy coffee flavor and some of that caramel sweetness on the back end/as a real lingering finish.  Basically nothing in the way of spice/pepper.  Retro is slightly floral.
Hey Will I have a box of PLP, on the way.
whats PLP dd
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »

Oy-Dave, that's the Por Larranaga Panetela.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »

Por Larranaga Panetela, July '13 box.  1 week of downtime here, I believe.  Caramel and floral pre-light aroma, nice wrapper shade, a bit rough looking.  Draw is that usual tripa corta draw--kinda resistant, kinda not, but will smoke just fine.

Quick light, initial flavors are wood and a faint sweetness.  And as expected, plenty of smoke.  Next few puffs reveals a slightly dry, woody smoke, with a light/creamy coffee flavor and some of that caramel sweetness on the back end/as a real lingering finish.  Basically nothing in the way of spice/pepper.  Retro is slightly floral.
Hey Will I have a box of PLP, on the way.
whats PLP dd
ok, I see wills post
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

Oy-Dave, that's the Por Larranaga Panetela.
will I got a $120 visa I need to use. Any box buy you would hit at that price point?

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »

Into the second half the core flavors have gotten stronger along with a slight increase in spiciness.  I'd say it's a dark roasted coffee type now, not much in the way of creaminess though it still has a sweet finish.  Not the most complex smoke ever, but very rich, satisfying core flavors and a very wallet friendly price point.

While it's apples and oranges, I'd take the PLP or RG Perla over the Papa Fritas or Illusione CC, no question.  I'd also probably skip on buying the Quinteros again in lieu of spending a little more for these.  Not that the Quinteros are bad. I just prefer this flavor profile more (and I'm sure the opposite could apply based on who is doing the smoking).
You dissin' Joe's Papa Fritas?
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »

Oy-Dave, that's the Por Larranaga Panetela.
will I got a $120 visa I need to use. Any box buy you would hit at that price point?

Bunch of different stuff.  Just depends on what you're looking to get in terms of vitola and quality.  You can get 10 or 15 of different robustos/petit robustos for that, 25 of most petit coronas.  If you go tripa corta, you might be able to swing 2 boxes of something in the petit corona range.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/26/2014
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »

Into the second half the core flavors have gotten stronger along with a slight increase in spiciness.  I'd say it's a dark roasted coffee type now, not much in the way of creaminess though it still has a sweet finish.  Not the most complex smoke ever, but very rich, satisfying core flavors and a very wallet friendly price point.

While it's apples and oranges, I'd take the PLP or RG Perla over the Papa Fritas or Illusione CC, no question.  I'd also probably skip on buying the Quinteros again in lieu of spending a little more for these.  Not that the Quinteros are bad. I just prefer this flavor profile more (and I'm sure the opposite could apply based on who is doing the smoking).
You dissin' Joe's Papa Fritas?

Yes.  Straight up, same price, I'd smoke the PLP.  It'd be a close call, might depend on if I was really in the mood for a maduro.  But for basically half the price of a PF?  No question.

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »

Into the second half the core flavors have gotten stronger along with a slight increase in spiciness.  I'd say it's a dark roasted coffee type now, not much in the way of creaminess though it still has a sweet finish.  Not the most complex smoke ever, but very rich, satisfying core flavors and a very wallet friendly price point.

While it's apples and oranges, I'd take the PLP or RG Perla over the Papa Fritas or Illusione CC, no question.  I'd also probably skip on buying the Quinteros again in lieu of spending a little more for these.  Not that the Quinteros are bad. I just prefer this flavor profile more (and I'm sure the opposite could apply based on who is doing the smoking).
You dissin' Joe's Papa Fritas?
Tryin' to start trouble sparky?