« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
I mostly agree with that but I recently had one with a good amount of black pepper and horseradish and loved it.
Here's the deal - In a pint glass, add all dry ingredients: black pepper, celery salt, horseradish, then 10 drops Tabasco, Worcestershire and lime wedge. Fill glass 1/3-1/2 gin and the rest Clamato. Add celery stalk

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
Holy cow, really? I've always liked them and I agree they're very strong. Tough to get a really good price on them, jam or mash is probably best bet, they still go pretty high on bid sites

Don't know why I'd never reached for one until last night... just didn't.  If the strength could be dialed down just a notch they'd be great.  Probably don't actually want a box because of their strength but I wouldn't mind another 5'er once the ones I have are gone.
I guess I've smoked maybe (10) of those total. Bought them on the mash and added a few here and there onto bids
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »

[...]

Works for me.  :P

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »

[...]

Same thing we do minus the lime wedge-we add pickled vegetables if available and a pickle spear and some pickle juice.

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »

Friday!  Morning, all.  Crazy weather here... raining at the gym, dry but thundering here at the office.
Hey JoJo!

Hey there, Shaun.  The boy has his first "real" hockey tonight.  Gotta swing by the arena after work and pick up his gear and everything.
Nice! How's he doing? My son is still skating once a week during the summer, still loves it

They closed the rink for the past three weeks or so for maintenance but we got him roller blades to practice outside.  Asks to do it almost every day. Not nearly as quick on the skates because he doesn't really move fast enough to glide, but he enjoys it.  Doesn't complain when he falls, has a good attitude about wanting to keep trying and practicing.  So gotta hand it to him, he's doing well.  We'll see how much he enjoys it now that it's 'real' and not just randomly skating around a rink.  I doubt they do much of anything resembling hockey, though, similar to the "soccer" he did a year ago.
I would call it a mob skate.  That's awesome he likes it, if he isn't scared to fall and picks himself back up we might have found the next Great One!
Just like kids soccer, we called it seagull formation...wherever the ball (or puck) goes, the whole bunch of them flock to it.

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
Not a fan of tomato juice either, use Clamato. Still tomato base but thinner and more flavor. I actually use gin instead of vodka, considered a Bloody Caesar...now I want one
Or you could skip all of that delicate chemistry and go with a Screwdriver.

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »

[...]

Add a shrimp....you need your protein.

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »

[...]

That's always a welcome addition
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:47 PM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
Not a fan of tomato juice either, use Clamato. Still tomato base but thinner and more flavor. I actually use gin instead of vodka, considered a Bloody Caesar...now I want one
Or you could skip all of that delicate chemistry and go with a Screwdriver.

That's more my style.  Morning, Dave.

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
Not a fan of tomato juice either, use Clamato. Still tomato base but thinner and more flavor. I actually use gin instead of vodka, considered a Bloody Caesar...now I want one
Or you could skip all of that delicate chemistry and go with a Screwdriver.
True but less fun, also a lot less time and effort
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »

[...]

I doubt there'll be 'teams' or any sort of hockey games going on, but ya never know.  His soccer was more like random drills and running around that also involved dribbling the soccer ball.  At no point was there any sort of game or match or whatever.  Either way, looking forward to it tonight.  Hope the gear is easy to figure out, LOL, I don't know a damn thing about hockey.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
Holy cow, really? I've always liked them and I agree they're very strong. Tough to get a really good price on them, jam or mash is probably best bet, they still go pretty high on bid sites

Don't know why I'd never reached for one until last night... just didn't.  If the strength could be dialed down just a notch they'd be great.  Probably don't actually want a box because of their strength but I wouldn't mind another 5'er once the ones I have are gone.

The Jaime Garcia North East was one of the best cigars I had last year.  Normal blend, CT shade wrapper.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

[...]

I really enjoy cigars where a a connie wrapper is over a 'regular' blend of something else.  EPC Short Run '12 is one of my favorite cigars.  SL Oval Connie is interesting.  Want to try that My Father connie, too.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »

[...]

Now I want some ceviche....

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »

[...]

Is that a short joke?