DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
Friend of mine used to say if it was red it was too weak......cuts down on the tomato juice issue.

Hmm, I'll try that.  Or rather the next time we go out to brunch or something I'll request lighter tomato juice from someone who actually knows what they're doing.  I want to like them because it's OK to drink bloody marys in the morning.  If you start with whiskey you're an alcoholic.
Exactly.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »

[...]

Bingo...I can't do Bloodys tho, but I also don't eat ketchup or like tomatoes.  Do you guys have Ceasars in your part of the country?(aka: a spicy bloody with clamado juice)-less thick/red and good with a beer chaser.

Never heard of Ceasars.  They sell beer with clamado juice.  The Mexicans love it.
Michelada....Clamato, Lime, Lemon, Beer and a salted rim.....delicious. The one Bud sells in a can, not so much.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »

[...]

LOL, yeah, that 'thing' that Budweiser sells is nasty.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They were mashing for around $26 this morning

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They are solid, but like you said, heavy on the pepper.  Great aging potential.

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
I mostly agree with that but I recently had one with a good amount of black pepper and horseradish and loved it.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They are solid, but like you said, heavy on the pepper.  Great aging potential.

The one I had last night was dated January 2013... still pretty potent.  Definitely need a strong drink to stand up to it.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They were mashing for around $26 this morning
$27

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They are solid, but like you said, heavy on the pepper.  Great aging potential.

The one I had last night was dated January 2013... still pretty potent.  Definitely need a strong drink to stand up to it.
Damn, yeah I bet 2-3years would make that cigar pretty awesome.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »

Heading to NYC tomorrow with (6) people total. I got my wife tix to Rock of Ages on Broadway for her birthday and tomorrow is it. Matinee @2:00, taking a car service in @10:00AM, straight to 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen for lunch before the show. Have to decide on a "roadie" beverage for the ride in, bloody mary or other not sure. Place has a great drink and solid beer menu, should be fun although my wife is a much bigger fan of Broadway than I am

Mmmm, booze.   Bloody Marys are one of the few drinks I really don't care for.  Don't like tomato juice even though I love tomatoes.
I mostly agree with that but I recently had one with a good amount of black pepper and horseradish and loved it.

That sounds good, too.  Lotta work for early in the morning... are coffee beers OK in the morning?  Seems like they should be.  That's how I first tried a coffee beer.  We went to brunch before an early afternoon Padres game last year and I wanted a drink.  Wasn't feeling anything mixed but coffee beer sounded good.  10am or so, coffee... why not?
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They were mashing for around $26 this morning
$27

And not a penny more.  Any idea what they go for on the DDA?  Either way... two of those 5-packs, catsrule... heck of a cigar for $4.50.  IMO.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/25/2014
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
They were mashing for around $26 this morning
$27

And not a penny more.  Any idea what they go for on the DDA?  Either way... two of those 5-packs, catsrule... heck of a cigar for $4.50.  IMO.
No idea on the DDA.

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
Holy cow, really? I've always liked them and I agree they're very strong. Tough to get a really good price on them, jam or mash is probably best bet, they still go pretty high on bid sites
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »

I finally got around to trying a Jamie Garcia (robusto) last night... man, that was a great cigar.  Chocolate and pepper, my two favorite profiles.  It was a little strong than I'd prefer and I have one or two more of these laying around, but they're definitely something I'll look to stock up on.  I've seen them on the DDA but never really paid attention to the pricing.
Holy cow, really? I've always liked them and I agree they're very strong. Tough to get a really good price on them, jam or mash is probably best bet, they still go pretty high on bid sites

Don't know why I'd never reached for one until last night... just didn't.  If the strength could be dialed down just a notch they'd be great.  Probably don't actually want a box because of their strength but I wouldn't mind another 5'er once the ones I have are gone.