Author Topic: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014  (Read 216387 times)

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

Hey Joe, you were posting the other day about how you're not used to the higher abv craft scene, right?

The brewery down the street from me, Carton Brewing, has a session IPA.  4.2%, solid bitterness/flavor/aroma, nice and light. They also have a handful of other session styles, including a Milk stout and a salted veggie/fruit ale.  And probably a few others, but I haven't tried them all yet.
Will, we weren't talking about beers with an abv THAT high, geez. Do you think we're drunks?

You act like that's a bad thing.  And you can't be a drunk from drinking beer.  Just an enthusiast.
Just bustin' Tuesday balls Will, I enjoy stouts/beers with 9-11% abv. Plenty of great stuff out there right now

I usually don't brew so high because of the increased time needed for aging and increased chances of the fermentation getting stuck/repitch/infected, etc.  I have done a few high gravity Belgians that ended up around there that were great, though.

My wife brews/makes her own kombucha (sp??) which is kinda interesting to watch.  Somewhat similar to brewing beer since it involves fermentation and whatnot.  I'm intrigued by beer brewing but know that I'll get sucked in.
Uh-Oh!

Nope, won't go there.  Involves too much time/energy.  Opening a bottle is about as much energy as I'm willing to put in to my boozing.  I don't even like having to find a bottle opener.  Why can't everyone just use twist tops?
More and more wines are going to screw tops
Blasphemy!
Yeah! Stick to fuckin' boxes I say!
/////Too slow. ;)
\\\\Story of my life..... :-[

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »

good afternoon all!
Hey there Sam

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »

good afternoon all!
Hey there Sam
Howdy, Sam. Quite the banter you walked into today.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

[...]

Keeps it fresher, longer, dontcha know.  I much prefer whiskey with screw tops, even though I kinda like that 'pop' from pulling out the cork.  Keeps more air out, which is good when it's a bottle of something I sip from only on very rare occasions.
True enough, I guess, but I don't really drink the stuff. Wife does though, and there definitely isn't a need to save any for very long. Haha.

True!  Open that bottle of wine and get to drinking!  Goes south real quick.  I'll always remember the very first apartment the wife and I had together.  The fridge was so small that we had to take the bag of wine out of the box to save room.
LOL,when you say fridge, do you really mean cooler?

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »

[...]

While brewing your own can be fun, it is cheaper with infinely more choices when you just buy.
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

[...]

Indeed.  Why spend all that time making a shitty coffee peanut butter chocolate cream stout when I can just go buy one?  No offense to the home brewer in attendance, I'm sure the stuff can be quite good after some practice.   Surprised nobody has tried a bourbon finished beer.  Make a stout, add bourbon.  ABV would be through the roof!

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »

[...]

My dad made an EPIC Bourbon Barrel Porter...had Makers Mark in it, around 12%...was amazing!

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »

good afternoon all!
Hey there Sam
Howdy, Sam. Quite the banter you walked into today.
Good afternoon Sam!
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »

[...]

Eclipse makes a MM barrel finished beer.  I'm talking straight up bourbon, though.  So 45% (give or take) from the bourbon, plus 10% from the stout... mmmm... that'd make for a short but fun night.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »

Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

good afternoon all!
Hey there Sam
Howdy, Sam. Quite the banter you walked into today.
looks pretty interesting.  wish I had time to read back!
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Pepino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »

good afternoon all!
Hey there Sam
Howdy, Sam. Quite the banter you walked into today.
looks pretty interesting.  wish I had time to read back!

Smiley faces, frowny faces, dusty faces... there ya go.  Afternoon, Sam.