CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: 7/9/2014  (Read 68684 times)

sfish

Re: 7/9/2014
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »

So, am I the only one here who - it would seem - doesn't like cigars with Corojo wrappers?

I generally do not, with a few exceptions.
What are notorious smokes with Corojo wrappers?  I seem to be a Maddy and Habby guy myself
Camacho and CLE for starters
I wouldn't say notorious.  Those are some of the better examples.
True but they invented the leaf
Really? I thought Corojo went way back. Or did you mean they invented modern hybrids?
My understanding is that the name Corojo is the name of the Camacho family farm so they named the leaf after it
Did some quick reading, Corojo was invented in Cuba back in the day. It seems Camacho kind of bought it back to life in Honduras now others also use it
Pretty much it, but like most things with cigars, companies have blurred the lines and definitions, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to.   Just like cigar sizes.
That reminds me...  What the fuck is up with La Duena Petit Robustos?  I thought 5x50 was just a robusto.
We'll discuss it tomorrow when you get to Dave's at 7:30

sfish

« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

So, am I the only one here who - it would seem - doesn't like cigars with Corojo wrappers?

What are notorious smokes with Corojo wrappers?  I seem to be a Maddy and Habby guy myself
Really? I thought Corojo went way back. Or did you mean they invented modern hybrids?
My understanding is that the name Corojo is the name of the Camacho family farm so they named the leaf after it
Did some quick reading, Corojo was invented in Cuba back in the day. It seems Camacho kind of bought it back to life in Honduras now others also use it
Pretty much it, but like most things with cigars, companies have blurred the lines and definitions, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to.   Just like cigar sizes.
Yeah, they've developed hybrids to address the genetic weaknesses of Corojo, and now there's the inevitable debate about hybrid vs. pure, discussions of yield, and so on.  Then there's the out-and-out lunacy, like the fact that the Punch Rare Corojo hasn't got any Corojo.
Right, the cigar was named that because it's rare you'll actually find any Corojo in there

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »

That reminds me...  What the fuck is up with La Duena Petit Robustos?  I thought 5x50 was just a robusto.
Persistent misprint.  It's a 4.6x52.
I know, Bret.  I'm just being an asshole.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »

...And quite tasty

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »

My ETA has shortened since I won't be picking up Flip and my meeting went from 90 minutes to 60.  So I'm back to looking at 5:pm.

Is it just we 3?

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »

Dammit.  I should have known.  GFY.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »

Morning, all.  Had an Oliva Connie Reserve lonsdale with about years down time last night and it was great, much better than any I'd had previously.  Not sure if it was the size or the age but if they all end up tasting like that over time, I'd put it about the EPC NWC, Griffins, and Camacho Connie.  IMO.
Mornin', Joe.  Been craving a connie lately but keep forgetting to pack one in my portable.  May go with a Heisenberg today after work.

Morning, Tony.  I like 'em quite a bit, just don't smoke them all that often because I tend to drink heavier beers when smoking.  Kinda drowns out the milder connie profiles.
I like connies with coffee as a morning smoke.  Really like the CLE connies, but I'm running low and having trouble finding a deal to stock up, so casting about for an alternative.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »

Dammit.  I should have known.  GFY.
You should have, since it's Whiny Wednesday.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »

Morning, all.  Had an Oliva Connie Reserve lonsdale with about years down time last night and it was great, much better than any I'd had previously.  Not sure if it was the size or the age but if they all end up tasting like that over time, I'd put it about the EPC NWC, Griffins, and Camacho Connie.  IMO.
Mornin', Joe.  Been craving a connie lately but keep forgetting to pack one in my portable.  May go with a Heisenberg today after work.

Morning, Tony.  I like 'em quite a bit, just don't smoke them all that often because I tend to drink heavier beers when smoking.  Kinda drowns out the milder connie profiles.
I like connies with coffee as a morning smoke.  Really like the CLE connies, but I'm running low and having trouble finding a deal to stock up, so casting about for an alternative.

The Oliva Connie reserve really jumped out at me.  Nice, big flavors, relatively speaking.  Also enjoy the Perdomo Champagne.  My true favorite "connie" is the EPC Short Run 2012, with the NWC wrapper over the core maduro binder/filler.  Good stuff, kinda like a connie on steroids.  Jury is still out for me on the SL Oval Connecticut.  Enjoyed the larger size, but the coronas I've got have been a bit rough.

sfish

« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »

My ETA has shortened since I won't be picking up Flip and my meeting went from 90 minutes to 60.  So I'm back to looking at 5:pm.

Is it just we 3?
I believe so, see you at 7:00

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »

The Oliva Connie reserve really jumped out at me.  Nice, big flavors, relatively speaking.  Also enjoy the Perdomo Champagne.  My true favorite "connie" is the EPC Short Run 2012, with the NWC wrapper over the core maduro binder/filler.  Good stuff, kinda like a connie on steroids.  Jury is still out for me on the SL Oval Connecticut.  Enjoyed the larger size, but the coronas I've got have been a bit rough.
Usually a morning smoke for me means I'm driving myself to work, so don't want too large a cigar or I end up wasting it.  I'll have to try the Oliva.  Seems to me I've had them, but don't remember for certain.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »

I've mentioned this but it bears repeating... I really like the regular SL connie more than the Oval connie.

sfish

« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »

I really enjoyed a SL oval connie toro that Tony gave me, restored some faith in connies. Have yet to try the CLE, Camacho or EPC connies

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »

Yeah, they've developed hybrids to address the genetic weaknesses of Corojo, and now there's the inevitable debate about hybrid vs. pure, discussions of yield, and so on.  Then there's the out-and-out lunacy, like the fact that the Punch Rare Corojo hasn't got any Corojo.
see that's how rare it is. no Corojo....  8)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »

I'm feeling pressure to find sticks you two haven't tried.  I may be late.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29