CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: 7/9/2014  (Read 68704 times)

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
Re: 7/9/2014
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »

Morning, all.  Had an Oliva Connie Reserve lonsdale with about years down time last night and it was great, much better than any I'd had previously.  Not sure if it was the size or the age but if they all end up tasting like that over time, I'd put it about the EPC NWC, Griffins, and Camacho Connie.  IMO.
Mornin', Joe.  Been craving a connie lately but keep forgetting to pack one in my portable.  May go with a Heisenberg today after work.

Morning, Tony.  I like 'em quite a bit, just don't smoke them all that often because I tend to drink heavier beers when smoking.  Kinda drowns out the milder connie profiles. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

So, am I the only one here who - it would seem - doesn't like cigars with Corojo wrappers?

I generally do not, with a few exceptions.
What are notorious smokes with Corojo wrappers?  I seem to be a Maddy and Habby guy myself
Camacho and CLE for starters
I wouldn't say notorious.  Those are some of the better examples.
True but they invented the leaf
Really? I thought Corojo went way back. Or did you mean they invented modern hybrids?

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »

So, am I the only one here who - it would seem - doesn't like cigars with Corojo wrappers?

What are notorious smokes with Corojo wrappers?  I seem to be a Maddy and Habby guy myself

The DPG Blue & Black, San Cristobal, Tat Havana, Omar Ortez

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »

Mmmm, love the San Cristobal and DPGs

sfish

« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »

Really? I thought Corojo went way back. Or did you mean they invented modern hybrids?
My understanding is that the name Corojo is the name of the Camacho family farm so they named the leaf after it

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »

Howdy, humpers!
Howdy , Steve .
So did you end up having that D#4 the other night, Steve?
No,  a thunder storm came in rain and lighting , not wanting to get hit by lighting so I decided not to . but will try again tonight  .
The warden threw a flashlight at me once... It wasn't so bad.
Sounds like Steve was on a movie set, better fire the key grip
Those ellipsoidals'll fuck you up.

sfish

« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »

My understanding is that the name Corojo is the name of the Camacho family farm so they named the leaf after it
Did some quick reading, Corojo was invented in Cuba back in the day. It seems Camacho kind of bought it back to life in Honduras now others also use it

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »

If the OOOs have Corojo wrappers, then it's not the Corojo I'm objecting to and it's something else.  I like the hell out of the OOOs.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »

Did some quick reading, Corojo was invented in Cuba back in the day. It seems Camacho kind of bought it back to life in Honduras now others also use it
Pretty much it, but like most things with cigars, companies have blurred the lines and definitions, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to.   Just like cigar sizes.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Howdy, humpers!
Howdy , Steve .
So did you end up having that D#4 the other night, Steve?
No,  a thunder storm came in rain and lighting , not wanting to get hit by lighting so I decided not to . but will try again tonight  .
The warden threw a flashlight at me once... It wasn't so bad.
Sounds like Steve was on a movie set, better fire the key grip
Those ellipsoidals'll fuck you up.
You could always just smoke them instead..... just sayin'

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

Pretty much it, but like most things with cigars, companies have blurred the lines and definitions, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to.   Just like cigar sizes.
That reminds me...  What the fuck is up with La Duena Petit Robustos?  I thought 5x50 was just a robusto.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

From what I can find, the Omar Ortez Original has a Habano wrapper.  The OOO Maduro is alleged by some to have a Corojo wrapper. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »

That reminds me...  What the fuck is up with La Duena Petit Robustos?  I thought 5x50 was just a robusto.
Persistent misprint.  It's a 4.6x52.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »

ROFL...NOT AGAIN!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »

Yeah, they've developed hybrids to address the genetic weaknesses of Corojo, and now there's the inevitable debate about hybrid vs. pure, discussions of yield, and so on.  Then there's the out-and-out lunacy, like the fact that the Punch Rare Corojo hasn't got any Corojo.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29