Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »

Good morning, Dave. It was hot as balls yesterday but I'll take it! Heck, I spend most of my days in a/c anyway.
So how was Providence?  First one off to college is a big one!
The actual move went smoother than I'd thought. What sucked is that we only had one elevator pass per student and so I had to make two trips via the stairs to the eighth floor.

Daughter said it wasn't a restful night's sleep because of the heat. Three fans in the small room but it wasn't enough. Lucky for her, there will be more cold than warm during the semester.
So you definitely got your steps in yesterday.

Sucks to hear about the room. Almost as bad as the heat is the mental aspect, knowing there's absolutely no way to get any relief from it while also trying to shut down your mind to sleep.
Just sleep in class like I did.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2021, 11:49:33 AM »

Good morning, Dave. It was hot as balls yesterday but I'll take it! Heck, I spend most of my days in a/c anyway.
So how was Providence?  First one off to college is a big one!
The actual move went smoother than I'd thought. What sucked is that we only had one elevator pass per student and so I had to make two trips via the stairs to the eighth floor.

Daughter said it wasn't a restful night's sleep because of the heat. Three fans in the small room but it wasn't enough. Lucky for her, there will be more cold than warm during the semester.
So you definitely got your steps in yesterday.

Sucks to hear about the room. Almost as bad as the heat is the mental aspect, knowing there's absolutely no way to get any relief from it while also trying to shut down your mind to sleep.
I imagine they don't allow air conditioners.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »

Good morning, Dave. It was hot as balls yesterday but I'll take it! Heck, I spend most of my days in a/c anyway.
So how was Providence?  First one off to college is a big one!
The actual move went smoother than I'd thought. What sucked is that we only had one elevator pass per student and so I had to make two trips via the stairs to the eighth floor.

Daughter said it wasn't a restful night's sleep because of the heat. Three fans in the small room but it wasn't enough. Lucky for her, there will be more cold than warm during the semester.
So you definitely got your steps in yesterday.

Sucks to hear about the room. Almost as bad as the heat is the mental aspect, knowing there's absolutely no way to get any relief from it while also trying to shut down your mind to sleep.
I imagine they don't allow air conditioners.
I wonder if they'd allow a dehumidifier. Would definitely help.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 12:18:01 PM »

So Tony, got a chance to check out Providence restaurants?
Around college campuses, there generally four types of restaurants.  Ones that students frequent, one that students frequent when drunk, ones that students go to on "special occasions" [like first dates], and ones that they will go to when the parents are paying.

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »

[...]

They don't usually allow much, no heaters, AC, microwaves, even coffee pots.  Fire hazard and uses electricity.  Do sometimes allow mini fridges that you can rent from the school.

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »

Room 101 12th Anniversary cigar was made by AJF this year.

https://atlanticcigar.com/room-101-12th-anniversary-toro-6x50/

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »

Good morning, Dave. It was hot as balls yesterday but I'll take it! Heck, I spend most of my days in a/c anyway.
So how was Providence?  First one off to college is a big one!
The actual move went smoother than I'd thought. What sucked is that we only had one elevator pass per student and so I had to make two trips via the stairs to the eighth floor.

Daughter said it wasn't a restful night's sleep because of the heat. Three fans in the small room but it wasn't enough. Lucky for her, there will be more cold than warm during the semester.
So you definitely got your steps in yesterday.

Sucks to hear about the room. Almost as bad as the heat is the mental aspect, knowing there's absolutely no way to get any relief from it while also trying to shut down your mind to sleep.
I imagine they don't allow air conditioners.
The windows aren't conducive to installing a/c units. It would be extremely difficult to find something that fits.

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »

So Tony, got a chance to check out Providence restaurants?
Around college campuses, there generally four types of restaurants.  Ones that students frequent, one that students frequent when drunk, ones that students go to on "special occasions" [like first dates], and ones that they will go to when the parents are paying.
You nailed it. We're still experimenting but definitely found some worth returning to.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »

Good morning, Dave. It was hot as balls yesterday but I'll take it! Heck, I spend most of my days in a/c anyway.
So how was Providence?  First one off to college is a big one!
The actual move went smoother than I'd thought. What sucked is that we only had one elevator pass per student and so I had to make two trips via the stairs to the eighth floor.

Daughter said it wasn't a restful night's sleep because of the heat. Three fans in the small room but it wasn't enough. Lucky for her, there will be more cold than warm during the semester.
So you definitely got your steps in yesterday.

Sucks to hear about the room. Almost as bad as the heat is the mental aspect, knowing there's absolutely no way to get any relief from it while also trying to shut down your mind to sleep.
Just sleep in class like I did.
When I was at the University of Arizona, I discovered Astronomy classes.  They frequently were held in the on-campus Flandrau Planetarium, or required time spent there.  I loved that place.  It'd be 105 outside, but the planetarium was air-conditioned, quiet, dark and had really comfortable laid-back chairs.  On Friday nights we'd hit the nearest Eegee's frozen lemonade stand, spike the lemonade slushies with Rum, and sneak them in our backpacks into the Flandrau to watch the Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd laser shows.  I STILL love that place.

You find ways to beat the heat.  ;-)

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »

[...]

That sounds awesome!

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2021, 12:59:05 PM »

So Tony, got a chance to check out Providence restaurants?
Around college campuses, there generally four types of restaurants.  Ones that students frequent, one that students frequent when drunk, ones that students go to on "special occasions" [like first dates], and ones that they will go to when the parents are paying.
You nailed it. We're still experimenting but definitely found some worth returning to.
Ain't this the truth?  As a college parent I've now done Moscow, Idaho and Ellensburg, Washington, and I can tell you in both towns where the best burgers and milkshakes are, who's got the best beers on tap, which pizza joints are open late, which bars are careless about ID, and where to get the best steak.  Professional tip: the iHop in Ellensburg has absolutely awful service and food.  You're better off at Perkins across the street next to the truck stop, and they have pie and decent coffee.

Ellensburg has the best Goodwill thrift store on earth (I bought a pristine Pronto Uomo wool tuxedo there for $25).  But in Moscow, the natives go to a place called Tri-State Outfitters, where you can outfit the college student cheaply AND stock up on cases of ammunition, while avoiding the horde of Karens at Walmart.

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2021, 01:07:26 PM »

[...]

I don't remember if we had any restrictions, though, I'm sure we probably did. But I know everyone had some sort of mini-fridge.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

[...]

The fridge my daughter's roommate brought is almost as big as the one I have at home.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »

[...]

Need lots of room to store all that water and lemonade.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »

It's Friday afternoon!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4