CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 8/11/2021  (Read 1885 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 8/11/2021
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »

Won't be around much today. Band registration to help with.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2021, 09:23:09 AM »

Won't be around much today. Band registration to help with.
Hi and bye, ClemsonDave.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »

Funny though, Dave still got us over to Page 2.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »

Funny though, Dave still got us over to Page 2.
Everyone has their responsibilities, that's one of his.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »

You know what helps post counts on slow days like today? Controversy! So I just had a thought. It's probably not an original one and I'm too lazy to Google it...

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2021, 10:26:31 AM »

If they tax the hell out of tobacco and alcohol because it's in our collective best interest, why not tax corporations/manufacturers for using plastic containers? We all know that very little of it actually gets recycled and I bet companies would get very creative if they were so motivated.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »

If they tax the hell out of tobacco and alcohol because it's in our collective best interest, why not tax corporations/manufacturers for using plastic containers? We all know that very little of it actually gets recycled and I bet companies would get very creative if they were so motivated.
Because I assume something like that would take Congressional action, and half of Congress treats corporations better than they do people.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »

Because I assume something like that would take Congressional action, and half of Congress treats corporations better than they do people.
I'm sure you got point but let me mansplain it anyway.  If buying a gallon of water costs 99¢ but then because it comes in a plastic container they taxed an additional 9$ onto the price, I bet they'd figure out another way. Or the government would make a shitload more money in taxes that we can then misappropriate. Win/win, right?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »

I'm sure you got point but let me mansplain it anyway.  If buying a gallon of water costs 99¢ but then because it comes in a plastic container they taxed an additional 9$ onto the price, I bet they'd figure out another way. Or the government would make a shitload more money in taxes that we can then misappropriate. Win/win, right?
For sure. But it doesn't change the fact that one side of the aisle is vehemently opposed to taxing corporations any more than we already do. This was evident in the recent infrastructure talks, where they didn't want to give up what they consider their "greatest" achievement of the previous administration, regardless of the benefit to the American people.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »

For sure. But it doesn't change the fact that one side of the aisle is vehemently opposed to taxing corporations any more than we already do. This was evident in the recent infrastructure talks, where they didn't want to give up what they consider their "greatest" achievement of the previous administration, regardless of the benefit to the American people.
Hence the controversy.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »

Hence the controversy.
Well, we got half a dozen posts out of it, so that's something. I'm sure we'd have a few more if Raz wasn't stuck at sea.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »

Hence the controversy.
Well, we got half a dozen posts out of it, so that's something. I'm sure we'd have a few more if Raz wasn't stuck at sea.
Should we try to tackle gun control?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »

Hence the controversy.
Absolutely. I say give everyone a gun and let it work itself out.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »

Hence the controversy.
Absolutely. I say give everyone a gun and let it work itself out.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Who's paying for all these guns?

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »

Hence the controversy.
You guys are forgetting who pays corporate taxes. Want me to mansplain how the tax gets built into the price of goods and services? When you buy tobacco, you pay the sales tax for you, and you pay the corporate taxes for the manufacturer. If you order it online, you pay your shipping costs, and the seller's shipping costs. Even when it's "free" shipping...because as we all know, nothing is free.

That's why I'm one of those assholes who opposes taxation. Because I remember who pays it, and who doesn't.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4