CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: 10/25/2017  (Read 5683 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 10/25/2017
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »

WS Game 2 tonight on Fox Local channel at 8:09 ET

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »

:o :o :o

While not much else there is worth a crap I have always been satisfied with the quality of Sears Craftsman Hand Tools (not power tools). And today I needed some wire cutters and some wire strippers so went to the Sears store very close to the new place.

Holy Chit Shirley, all of their hand tools I looked at are now MADE IN CHINA, FMTT's.   I looked around and they had some old style screwdriver sets for 1/2 price, damned if they were not MADE IN USA.  Bought a couple of nice sets because the boy can always USE & LOSE Tools.  Checking out and commented to the old guy at the cash register and he said yeah, they have been marking down the old Made in USA stuff.  No USA wire cutters left though.
Sears has been in deep schitt for a long time.
Well yeah, I am surprised they have managed to stay open this long but switching to Chinese made tools is sure not going to help.  Fuk'n Chinese stuff is the same price too, told the guy if I wanted Chinese tools I would just go to Harbor Freight and save 90%.

Tools are one of the only things people even buy there anymore
Just announced that Sears will no longer be selling Whirlpool, Kitchen-Aid or Maytag appliances.  (although Whirlpool will continue to make some Kenmore appliances)
The business relationship was over 100 years old.
Funny, warden was looking at new appliances when we were there and the top level Kenmore refrigerators are made by LG.

Sears remaining days are pretty numbered.
They missed the internet bigger than anyone else. Even Microsoft. They were too invested in their brick-and-mortar presence...which is cosmically funny, given their origins. They were the Amazon of the 19th century.
Maybe they'll go back to catalogue.
They're bringing back the Christmas Wishbook.
They are toast, might as well bring back the buggy whips.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »

While not much else there is worth a crap I have always been satisfied with the quality of Sears Craftsman Hand Tools (not power tools). And today I needed some wire cutters and some wire strippers so went to the Sears store very close to the new place.

Holy Chit Shirley, all of their hand tools I looked at are now MADE IN CHINA, FMTT's.   I looked around and they had some old style screwdriver sets for 1/2 price, damned if they were not MADE IN USA.  Bought a couple of nice sets because the boy can always USE & LOSE Tools.  Checking out and commented to the old guy at the cash register and he said yeah, they have been marking down the old Made in USA stuff.  No USA wire cutters left though.
Well yeah, I am surprised they have managed to stay open this long but switching to Chinese made tools is sure not going to help.  Fuk'n Chinese stuff is the same price too, told the guy if I wanted Chinese tools I would just go to Harbor Freight and save 90%.

Just announced that Sears will no longer be selling Whirlpool, Kitchen-Aid or Maytag appliances.  (although Whirlpool will continue to make some Kenmore appliances)
Funny, warden was looking at new appliances when we were there and the top level Kenmore refrigerators are made by LG.

They missed the internet bigger than anyone else. Even Microsoft. They were too invested in their brick-and-mortar presence...which is cosmically funny, given their origins. They were the Amazon of the 19th century.
I dunno. It might stave off death for a little while, albeit they'll be greatly diminished. Guess we'll see.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »

I dunno. It might stave off death for a little while, albeit they'll be greatly diminished. Guess we'll see.
They will last until there is no more money for the execs to steal.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »

Dead on analogy.  The Sears catalog to the rural US was everything.  You could even buy houses, cars and livestock through it.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »

Don't give Dean any ideas...

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »

Dead on analogy.  The Sears catalog to the rural US was everything.  You could even buy houses, cars and livestock through it.
Back when Amazon got started, my dad asked me how the company was going to survive selling booms without making any money. I explained what their strategy was, and said that they weren't going to stay with books, that eventually they'd try to become the Sears-Roebuck of the 21st century. 

What I missed is that they'd try to also become the NCR of the 21st century.

Still, I wish I'd had money to buy stock back then.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

I swear the same thought crossed my mind when writing that, in fact I almost changed it to wagon wheels.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »

back from golf and dinner at the redheads. no boating until it warms up. we had a little fire going by the water but was still cold so we lit her little fireplace and got cozy.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »

I swear the same thought crossed my mind when writing that, in fact I almost changed it to wagon wheels.

I'm not into whips, but thanks for thinking of me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]