CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: 11/26/2014  (Read 44709 times)

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 11/26/2014
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »

This getting old had really effected my not being able to make a decision.  I passed up the 55" Panasonic TV a couple of weeks ago, waiting for a Samsung to go on sale.  Now Best Buy has a 55" Smart Samsang for $599 and same model 60" for $799.  They also have a Smarter Samsang with a quad core 55" for $799 and same model 60" for $999.  Do I need a quad core and Smarter HUB for the extra $200..? I do want to use the tv with Netflix and the Internet.  The $599 is probably all I really need. But when I think about looking at it for the next 5 plus years..?
IMHO You have no need for a Smart TV based on your age and what you said, the smarter the TV the more complicated the bastard is to work.  60" Samsung @ $799 sounds like a nice deal.

If you only think you'll use NetFlix, either 'smart' would be fine. The Quad-Core is basically future engineering for web surfing on your tv. Basically putting a computer brain in your tv.
Actually, I thought it would be nice to be able to surf the web, and post on the banter, and even buy cigars from my TV. Do Smart Tv's work like that...?  Maybe with a remote keyboard..?
What store are these available at BD?  Why not just go there with the plan on buying and determine what you need then.  Unless it's a cute saleswoman, then you'll come home with the 3K model.
LOL
Best Buy has them on sale.  And your right, I'm a sucker for a cute sales girl.  But I've learned to only let cute girls sell me draught beer at the bar.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »

This getting old had really effected my not being able to make a decision.  I passed up the 55" Panasonic TV a couple of weeks ago, waiting for a Samsung to go on sale.  Now Best Buy has a 55" Smart Samsang for $599 and same model 60" for $799.  They also have a Smarter Samsang with a quad core 55" for $799 and same model 60" for $999.  Do I need a quad core and Smarter HUB for the extra $200..? I do want to use the tv with Netflix and the Internet.  The $599 is probably all I really need. But when I think about looking at it for the next 5 plus years..?
IMHO You have no need for a Smart TV based on your age and what you said, the smarter the TV the more complicated the bastard is to work.  60" Samsung @ $799 sounds like a nice deal.
But what's he going to hook his Xbox 1 up to?  You're exactly right...if its any smarter than a smart TV, then it's probably too smart for me.
I have Wii bowling...  But I do have a 90 average.. Yeah..!!!  Now that your bring it up, it would be nice to have a 1st person shooter game on a big tv.. :)  Years ago I used to play Team Fortress on the computer, but I had a dial-up and everyone else had high speed, and I kept getting killed...

I'm not sure Wii is even HD... Get a PS4 or XBox. Then you can upgrade all your adult film's to BlueRay... you'll never leave the living room. lol

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »

AHHHH yanks, 70 degrees and sunny here now I smell a lit cigar and a nice beer in about 2.5 hours.   Had a yummy cup of gumbo and a corned beef and pastrami on rye for lunch
5deg here, feels like -16...GFY!
;D  Warden's home guess I could GFH which might be more fun.
No argument here....I mean, not that I know personally....but....well, yes, you could do that...

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »

If you only think you'll use NetFlix, either 'smart' would be fine. The Quad-Core is basically future engineering for web surfing on your tv. Basically putting a computer brain in your tv.
Actually, I thought it would be nice to be able to surf the web, and post on the banter, and even buy cigars from my TV. Do Smart Tv's work like that...?  Maybe with a remote keyboard..?
If you can figure out how the hell to do it yes they can but that is 180 degrees from your last description of need so get your shit together and call us back! :)
I've been reading up on this stuff over the past 2 weeks.  But it still reads like Chinese to me. I'm not too worried about how difficult the tv is to work, because I have a 5 year old granddaughter that will teach me.. :)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »

Don't pay extra for a smart TV...too many options from $20-100 that are much better anyhow(Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc)
Wow, more  decision to make... YIKES...!!!  No wonder I drink...!  Matter of fact, I feel like drinking now..!

Buy the 60" Smart for $799.... Now go!  ;D

Let us know when the delivery guy is bringing it in.
I'm sure plenty in the hood will be watching as well.  Not much available in the stores downtown the last few days...

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »

What store are these available at BD?  Why not just go there with the plan on buying and determine what you need then.  Unless it's a cute saleswoman, then you'll come home with the 3K model.
LOL
Best Buy has them on sale.  And your right, I'm a sucker for a cute sales girl.  But I've learned to only let cute girls sell me draught beer at the bar.
Especially if they wear yellow shoes.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »

Don't pay extra for a smart TV...too many options from $20-100 that are much better anyhow(Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc)
Wow, more  decision to make... YIKES...!!!  No wonder I drink...!  Matter of fact, I feel like drinking now..!

Thanks... I hope my credit card is still good.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

AHHHH yanks, 70 degrees and sunny here now I smell a lit cigar and a nice beer in about 2.5 hours.   Had a yummy cup of gumbo and a corned beef and pastrami on rye for lunch
+1 on the GFY.
Jealous Bastidge :)
Yes.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »

;D  Warden's home guess I could GFH which might be more fun.
Hey, when the mood strikes, do it..!!!

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

Good morning everyone...
Mornin Steve and Dad!

Afternoon, Shaun. You having turkey or some of those water birds you shot down?
We are doing turkey tomorrow.  I do need to finalize my duck recipe - I will be doing 2 of them roasted and then trying out a crock pot recipe on the rest.
Duck & Goose Cooking

http://www.ducks.org/related/recipes
Thanks Tex!  One thing to note too, is the cooking difference between the farm raised and wild ones - almost zero fat on the wild ones and a lot less cooking time
For sure and no game is worth a crap if it is overcooked!  Want a touch of pink in those duck breasts.  I have a super goose recipe (they are hard to make good) from many years back if you ever want it let me know.  It is a caserole with rice and really good and pretty easy.
I like a touch of pink in all my breasts!
I just think of all of them as sitting ducks.
You guys are making me hungry, but I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to eat...? Turkey or titties...?

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »

If you can figure out how the hell to do it yes they can but that is 180 degrees from your last description of need so get your shit together and call us back! :)
I've been reading up on this stuff over the past 2 weeks.  But it still reads like Chinese to me. I'm not too worried about how difficult the tv is to work, because I have a 5 year old granddaughter that will teach me.. :)
She might could work it but she damn sure can't teach yoou!  In the workd of electronics what you read two weeks ago is out of date now anyway.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

But what's he going to hook his Xbox 1 up to?  You're exactly right...if its any smarter than a smart TV, then it's probably too smart for me.
I have Wii bowling...  But I do have a 90 average.. Yeah..!!!  Now that your bring it up, it would be nice to have a 1st person shooter game on a big tv.. :)  Years ago I used to play Team Fortress on the computer, but I had a dial-up and everyone else had high speed, and I kept getting killed...

I'm not sure Wii is even HD... Get a PS4 or XBox. Then you can upgrade all your adult film's to BlueRay... you'll never leave the living room. lol
In the back of my mind I have always been thinking adult movies and a 3d tv...

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

Good morning everyone...
Mornin Steve and Dad!

Afternoon, Shaun. You having turkey or some of those water birds you shot down?
We are doing turkey tomorrow.  I do need to finalize my duck recipe - I will be doing 2 of them roasted and then trying out a crock pot recipe on the rest.
Duck & Goose Cooking

http://www.ducks.org/related/recipes
Thanks Tex!  One thing to note too, is the cooking difference between the farm raised and wild ones - almost zero fat on the wild ones and a lot less cooking time
For sure and no game is worth a crap if it is overcooked!  Want a touch of pink in those duck breasts.  I have a super goose recipe (they are hard to make good) from many years back if you ever want it let me know.  It is a caserole with rice and really good and pretty easy.
I like a touch of pink in all my breasts!
I just think of all of them as sitting ducks.
You guys are making me hungry, but I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to eat...? Turkey or titties...?
Yes. But only eat the turkey at the table.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »

That'll just about do it for me. Hope everyone has a great feast tomorrow and tops it off with a fine smoke or 2. Hazzuh!

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »

I'm sure plenty in the hood will be watching as well.  Not much available in the stores downtown the last few days...
That reminds me of the time I placed a sheet over the living room drapes to project x-rated 8mm movies on.  About 1/2 hour later my brother dropped by and said, "what the hell are you doing..? You didn't close the drapes and I can see the movie on your picture window...!!!"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22