Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

Lot of news today...
http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Obama-to-Nominate-Federal-Appeals-Court-Judge-Merrick-Garland-For-the-Supreme-Court-372223072.html
Just as would be expected, this is from the Wasington Times:

conservative Judicial Crisis Network, which plans to spend at least $2 million on an advertising campaign to oppose Judge Merrick Garland’s nomination, says the nominee “has a very liberal view of gun rights.”

JCN chief counsel Carrie Severino said in a blog post that Judge Merrick’s record on the bench since 1997 “leads to the conclusion that he would vote to reverse one of Justice Scalia’s most important opinions, D.C. vs. Heller, which affirmed that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to keep and bear arms.”
Why am I not surprised?
Great way for Judge Severino to get herself from easy attention and free posts.
And just what is Obama trying to get besides more attention?
He doesn't need more, I believe he will be happy just coasting into retirement.
Don't kid yourself
In the past, especially on the CI site, there was a ban on political or religious speech ... I can see the reason why, and still there were still certain individuals who would drop a bomb, then quickly say, no more of that kind of speech (effectively getting his opinion in, but shutting down any dissent).  Personally, I am interested in what other on the banter think on various issues (because of the different areas of the country and different backgrounds of the BOTLs here).  The main thing is that the discussion, even heated at times, doesn't degenerate in to slugfests and insults (except on Tuesdays ... though those insults should be limited to scurrilous personal attacks rather than ideological discussions). So, for my two cents on the SCOTUS nomination ... I don't know the candidate, but I do know that ANYTHING O. does is carefully politically planned, and he'll continue to do so until he leaves office.  He didn't get into office after 2 years in the Senate (and then 2 years campaigning for the Presidency), without a great deal of help, and hasn't continued without the cadre, supporting, directing, guiding him.  Vice President Joe Biden, is on the record (video is available), in 1992 as head of the Senate Judiciary Committe, saying absolutely there should not be a SCOTUS appointment in the election year (when the shoe was on the other foot).  Lyin' hypocrites ... they know exactly what they are doing ... trying to make the Repubs look bad in blocking a seemingly qualified candidate. Too bad that he's being made into a political football (if he is a good guy), but he seems to be entering into it willingly with eyes wide open.  Still, I watched the entire Press Conference and introduction.  It was made clear over and over what O. was trying to do, constantly referring to how bad the Repubs would be to block hearings.  Made me ill, he's such a player ... a deceitul hypocrite, playing the patriotic Constitutionalist when it suits him and shredding it on the other hand when it suits him.  Rant over ... sorry ...but I hope folks wake up and open up their eyes ... The Repubs better lose their weeniehood, come together, and unite with a positive plan ... but sadly, they are not as savvy as the other side.
Spot on correct and Said like a true Stateman Sly👍
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »

Some Mark Twain on politics:

When politics enter into municipal government, nothing resulting therefrom in the way of crimes and infamies is then incredible. It actually enables one to accept and believe the impossible...
- Letter to Jules Hart, 17 December 1901

Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
- "The Character of Man," inserted in autobiographical dictation 23 January 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 (University of California Press, 2010)

To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals.
- Autobiographical dictation, 24 January 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 (University of California Press, 2010)

I was an ardent Hayes man, but that was natural, for I was pretty young at the time, I have since convinced myself that the political opinions of a nation are of next to no value, in any case, but that what little rag of value they posess is to be found among the old, rather than among the young.
- Autobiographical dictation, 4 February 1907. Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 2 (University of California Press 2013)

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Autobiographical dictation, 12 September 1907. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 3 (University of California Press, 2015)

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
- Autobiographical dictation, 10 July 1908. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 3 (University of California Press, 2015)

...one of the first achievements of the legislature was to institute a ten-thousand-dollar agricultural fair to show off forty dollars' worth of pumpkins in -- however, the Territorial legislature was usually spoken of as the "asylum".
- Roughing It
Good stuff, TD.  Thanks.

« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »

[...]

Nope, we don't need no ban's or rules here.  We can act like adults, agree to disagree on whatever and move on.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »

[...]

Thanks, TR.  It does make me sad for our Nation and the ideals on which it was founded.

« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »

Old HC Maduro Torp lit with a Jefferson Stout from the Lazy Magnolia, Mississippi's Brewery.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »

[...]

+1, TD.

« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »

[...]

Absolutely, me too.  Only thing you left out (IMHO) is the issue of out of control rampant corruption throughout the entire government structure from cities all the way to and including the White House.

« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »

[...]

Agree to disagree? Nah, we'll just insult hell out of each other until we're tired of it, then we'll move on until we do it again.

It SOUNDS like the same thing, but it's less polite.

;-)

« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:33 PM »

[...]

While I agree with most everything you say Sly, he is as calculating a political animal as there is out there, he has played and continues to play the Republican party.  Maybe I'll give him the first election, liberals were all dewey about having a black president, and he was a dynamic young personality on the block, but even with all that, he would not have beaten John McCain without the party saddling him with the Alaska psycho.  He should never have been reelected if not for the Republican snafu of out of touch rich guy Mitt Romney and suck up for the tea party Paul Ryan.  That election was handed to the Democrats.  The Republicans have all but guaranteed Hillary a free ride in with the circus that is going on....the Republicans may even manage to give away the house if not the senate.  And yes, maybe the Justice candidate of Obama will not get in under his watch, but he sure as hell will skate in under Hillary, which is probably what they promised him....lay low and we'll get you in in 6 months.  All that remains to be seen is if the Republican party has now self inflicted a mortal blow, or if they will be able to recover from this in a decade or two.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »

Old HC Maduro Torp lit with a Jefferson Stout from the Lazy Magnolia, Mississippi's Brewery.
  TR, I still have one more Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale from LM ... have to find just the right cigar to pair.
I'm trying to remember the cigar I had last night ... I know it was middle of the road (still recovering from cough),
 so I didn't want anything too strong, but at the end I wanted something with more punch, so I had an LHC Core Chisel,
which provided the kick, and lasted a long time down to the barest of nubs ... while sitting on a deck under the stars with a buddy
(Justice Dept. lawyer, who had just invited me to come down to visit the Supreme Court (he's now a member).  Little did we know
that an announcement was forthcoming today.  He's liberal on some issues, but serious on liberty and Second Amendment issues.

« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »

I wanted to buy several cigar offers today but all humi facilities are stacked and packed.  I did get my CroMagnon's from the Mash today.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 3/16/2016
« Reply #206 on: March 16, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »

[...]

You will never stop that until we get some real sort of election reform when it comes to campaigns.  Way too much money and power brokering going on to really and truly run a country.  (quite frankly, I wouldn't let them run a convenience store let alone a country)
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #207 on: March 16, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »

[...]

Thanks for your insights, Dave.  Can't disagree with a thing you said.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 3/16/2016
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »

ok, I'm heading home with a Diesel Uncut connie for the ride.  y'all have a great evening!
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »

[...]

+1.  It even affects the food we buy.  I was just at the store shopping for a corned beef to cook.  I had a choice between a package that came from Detroit, Michigan or Colorado ... I felt I'd have a better shot of getting quality beef from Colorado than Detroit ; ^ )
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16