CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023  (Read 1533 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2023, 12:15:54 PM »

Shooting at MSU was by a man that grew up in my town and went to my HS.  In fact, notes on him indicated that his next target was back in NJ at the school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/michigan-state-university-shooting-live-updates-rcna70528

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »

Shooting at MSU was by a man that grew up in my town and went to my HS.  In fact, notes on him indicated that his next target was back in NJ at the school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/michigan-state-university-shooting-live-updates-rcna70528
So aside from being famous by being my hometown and the center of the anthrax mail scare a while back, now we have crazy mass shooters.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2023, 12:19:09 PM »

Here's a sad story for any NYPD Blue fans out there:

https://tvline.com/2023/02/13/austin-majors-cause-of-death-nypd-blue-actor-theo/
An Eagle scout, salutatorian, college graduate...and ODs at 27 in a homeless shelter. Mental illness is a killer. So is fentanyl.
Indeed, really sad state of affairs.
Historically, it appears if a celebrity can get passed age 27, that's a huge milestone.
You're right, weird how that seems to be such a defining number for so many.
My Statistics professor in college used the "27 Club" as a case study illustrating several concepts about anecdotal evidence, how fake statistics gain significance, and preventing corruption of statistical measurements. It's a classic case of celebrity and cultural significance over-influencing public perception. The truth is that the most common age at which celebrated artists die is 56, and variances in definition of what qualifies as "celebrity" only alter how much of a spike there is, but not the age itself.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »

So what do you romantic devils have planned for your ladies today?
Picking up the kids from school while she goes to work. :D
I knew you guys would come through!   ::)  Although heart shaped ravioli is kinda cute.
I bet Ras already has the rose petals scattered thoughout the bedroom.
The Warden would NOT find that romantic.

There is a consensus among scientists and perfumers that if a man wants to smell attractive to women, he should wear food-related scents, rather than floral scents.

I made oatmeal cookies last night. That worked fine.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2023, 12:26:00 PM »

https://tvline.com/2023/02/13/austin-majors-cause-of-death-nypd-blue-actor-theo/
An Eagle scout, salutatorian, college graduate...and ODs at 27 in a homeless shelter. Mental illness is a killer. So is fentanyl.
Historically, it appears if a celebrity can get passed age 27, that's a huge milestone.
My Statistics professor in college used the "27 Club" as a case study illustrating several concepts about anecdotal evidence, how fake statistics gain significance, and preventing corruption of statistical measurements. It's a classic case of celebrity and cultural significance over-influencing public perception. The truth is that the most common age at which celebrated artists die is 56, and variances in definition of what qualifies as "celebrity" only alter how much of a spike there is, but not the age itself.
Truth is, you can generally make statistics say whatever you want them to.

For example, more than 80% of the CigarBanter posts are complete bullshit.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »

Snowed here last night. Coupla inches.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2023, 12:28:22 PM »

Snowed here last night. Coupla inches.
I read that as "showed" and I thought you were referring back to the oatmeal cookie post.  :P

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2023, 12:35:30 PM »

I'm thinking 80% might be a bit optimistic. ;-)

My Statistics class was among my favorite experiences in college, and one of the few classes that really changed my thinking.

Even saying "statistics can be made to say anything," which is a common trope, and one I had been given to before I took Statistics, is a misnomer. It's more accurate to say, "any numbers can be made to look like statistics."

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2023, 12:41:42 PM »

My Statistics class was among my favorite experiences in college, and one of the few classes that really changed my thinking.

Even saying "statistics can be made to say anything," which is a common trope, and one I had been given to before I took Statistics, is a misnomer. It's more accurate to say, "any numbers can be made to look like statistics."
I found statistics to be my most difficult class in college. Definitely interesting but it wasn't easy.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »

I found statistics to be my most difficult class in college. Definitely interesting but it wasn't easy.
Well, I did have an extremely good professor, so that may have helped.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »

Wonder what Dean is up to? He's a hopeless romantic.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »

I think I read somewhere he's trying to nail 80% of the widows in FL. Or something like that.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2023, 01:24:59 PM »

So aside from being famous by being my hometown and the center of the anthrax mail scare a while back, now we have crazy mass shooters.
Sounds like the bar has been raised pretty high for whatever newsworthy event comes next.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2023, 02:17:02 PM »

Hazzuh!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2023, 02:18:54 PM »

I think I read somewhere he's trying to nail 80% of the widows in FL. Or something like that.
I think we'll have to keep him accountable to that metric.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5