Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023  (Read 1533 times)

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Shooting at MSU was by a man that grew up in my town and went to my HS.  In fact, notes on him indicated that his next target was back in NJ at the school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/michigan-state-university-shooting-live-updates-rcna70528

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Shooting at MSU was by a man that grew up in my town and went to my HS.  In fact, notes on him indicated that his next target was back in NJ at the school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/michigan-state-university-shooting-live-updates-rcna70528
So aside from being famous by being my hometown and the center of the anthrax mail scare a while back, now we have crazy mass shooters.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Here's a sad story for any NYPD Blue fans out there:

https://tvline.com/2023/02/13/austin-majors-cause-of-death-nypd-blue-actor-theo/
An Eagle scout, salutatorian, college graduate...and ODs at 27 in a homeless shelter. Mental illness is a killer. So is fentanyl.
Indeed, really sad state of affairs.
Historically, it appears if a celebrity can get passed age 27, that's a huge milestone.
You're right, weird how that seems to be such a defining number for so many.
My Statistics professor in college used the "27 Club" as a case study illustrating several concepts about anecdotal evidence, how fake statistics gain significance, and preventing corruption of statistical measurements. It's a classic case of celebrity and cultural significance over-influencing public perception. The truth is that the most common age at which celebrated artists die is 56, and variances in definition of what qualifies as "celebrity" only alter how much of a spike there is, but not the age itself.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

So what do you romantic devils have planned for your ladies today?
Picking up the kids from school while she goes to work. :D
I knew you guys would come through!   ::)  Although heart shaped ravioli is kinda cute.
I bet Ras already has the rose petals scattered thoughout the bedroom.
The Warden would NOT find that romantic.

There is a consensus among scientists and perfumers that if a man wants to smell attractive to women, he should wear food-related scents, rather than floral scents.

I made oatmeal cookies last night. That worked fine.

[...]

Truth is, you can generally make statistics say whatever you want them to.

For example, more than 80% of the CigarBanter posts are complete bullshit.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Snowed here last night. Coupla inches.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Snowed here last night. Coupla inches.
I read that as "showed" and I thought you were referring back to the oatmeal cookie post.  :P

[...]

I'm thinking 80% might be a bit optimistic. ;-)

My Statistics class was among my favorite experiences in college, and one of the few classes that really changed my thinking.

Even saying "statistics can be made to say anything," which is a common trope, and one I had been given to before I took Statistics, is a misnomer. It's more accurate to say, "any numbers can be made to look like statistics."

[...]

I found statistics to be my most difficult class in college. Definitely interesting but it wasn't easy.

[...]

Well, I did have an extremely good professor, so that may have helped.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Wonder what Dean is up to? He's a hopeless romantic.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Wonder what Dean is up to? He's a hopeless romantic.
I think I read somewhere he's trying to nail 80% of the widows in FL. Or something like that.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Shooting at MSU was by a man that grew up in my town and went to my HS.  In fact, notes on him indicated that his next target was back in NJ at the school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/michigan-state-university-shooting-live-updates-rcna70528
So aside from being famous by being my hometown and the center of the anthrax mail scare a while back, now we have crazy mass shooters.
Sounds like the bar has been raised pretty high for whatever newsworthy event comes next.

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Hazzuh!

Re: Happy Valentine's Day! - 2/14/2023

Wonder what Dean is up to? He's a hopeless romantic.
I think I read somewhere he's trying to nail 80% of the widows in FL. Or something like that.
I think we'll have to keep him accountable to that metric.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5