CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: 8/4/2014  (Read 36991 times)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
Re: 8/4/2014
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2014, 01:19:09 PM »

Well, I don't see TXDave on today, but wanted to share that I received my replacement Xikar cutter Saturday and it was made in Taiwan... gotta keep costs down I suppose. Outsourcing.... sheesh.
That's a bit disappointing.

Yeah, but it's brand new. I wasn't going to get much from a broken one... even if it was Made in America. It's just too bad though. You figure for the price they get for them, there'd still be enough margin to manufacture here.
True enough, just disappointed. I'm sure they're saving money which they pass on to us, or whatever companies usually say, but it would be nice if it were still made here, for America's sake.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

Sake bombs on a bit of a discount... +$10 off cpn.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/601+la+bomba+sake+bomb+cigars/item+44904
Not much of a discount but I'm thinking about it, they'd be nice to have on vacation in 2 weeks

I know. I figure if I get a price close to your breaking point, you'll cave. Then you can give us a review.  ;D
I just get the feeling they'll come down in price and I'll feel stupid for paying the current price
Once they're bought, forget the price, move on and enjoy them.

Like NFL draft picks.  Once camp opens, draft position doesn't mean shit.  Ask Brady Quinn.

That's a long list... if you're taking light-hearted shots a Cleveland.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

Well, I don't see TXDave on today, but wanted to share that I received my replacement Xikar cutter Saturday and it was made in Taiwan... gotta keep costs down I suppose. Outsourcing.... sheesh.

Yeah, but it's brand new. I wasn't going to get much from a broken one... even if it was Made in America. It's just too bad though. You figure for the price they get for them, there'd still be enough margin to manufacture here.

Based on taking acccounting classes for 2 months now, which essentially almost kinda sorta makes me CPA-esque, I've learned that costs of running a business are staggering.  There is so damn much that goes in to it that I'd never even think to factor in that I can understand occasional price increases (or taking action to reduce operational costs to keep pricing the same). 

Cigars don't cost the same as they did 3-4 years ago because it now costs more to make, sell, and deliver them. 

So you can keep the Xikar stuff made here and charge more, or you can outsource it and not have to charge more.  The latter would cause the least amount of push back from the buyers.

Sorry, got business on the brain since I'm doing some school work at the moment...

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Not much of a discount but I'm thinking about it, they'd be nice to have on vacation in 2 weeks

I know. I figure if I get a price close to your breaking point, you'll cave. Then you can give us a review.  ;D
I just get the feeling they'll come down in price and I'll feel stupid for paying the current price

Like NFL draft picks.  Once camp opens, draft position doesn't mean shit.  Ask Brady Quinn.

Wow,  Ken Dorsey... I remember watching him play at Miami when they came to Blacksburg.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »

Based on taking acccounting classes for 2 months now, which essentially almost kinda sorta makes me CPA-esque, I've learned that costs of running a business are staggering.  There is so damn much that goes in to it that I'd never even think to factor in that I can understand occasional price increases (or taking action to reduce operational costs to keep pricing the same). 

Cigars don't cost the same as they did 3-4 years ago because it now costs more to make, sell, and deliver them. 

So you can keep the Xikar stuff made here and charge more, or you can outsource it and not have to charge more.  The latter would cause the least amount of push back from the buyers.

Sorry, got business on the brain since I'm doing some school work at the moment...
I guess you have your topics for your term papers picked out.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

Indeed. And like I said, just disappointed. Not like I'm gonna swear off Xikar, it's still the best stuff out there, IMFO, no offense, etc. So long as the overseas cutters still work as good as the old, that is.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »

We'd need a whole new banter for that topic.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

I understand all that. It was more about the price almost being a 'premium' already because it WAS made here.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

Wow,  Ken Dorsey... I remember watching him play at Miami when they came to Blacksburg.

sfish

« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

That's the way I'm leaning

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Indeed. And like I said, just disappointed. Not like I'm gonna swear off Xikar, it's still the best stuff out there, IMFO, no offense, etc. So long as the overseas cutters still work as good as the old, that is.

True.  Made in China.  Pay no attention to the camera on the bottom. 

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »

There may be lead in the paint, but it cuts like a razor!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

Wonder if they were truly made in America in the first place?  Or if they were 'assembled' in America... parts originating elsewhere.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »

Wonder if they were truly made in America in the first place?  Or if they were 'assembled' in America... parts originating elsewhere.
I just put the foot of the cigar in my mouth and light the cap, I dont need no stinkin cutter.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

Hazzuh!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19