CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: 12/27/2018  (Read 8586 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 12/27/2018
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »

Some very sad news to report regarding our BOTL.

Richard Overton, once America's oldest living WWII veteran, dies at 112

Lately, Overton had spent many of his days on the front porch of the home he built 70 years ago. His friends called it his "stage." It's on Richard Overton Avenue, as the town renamed the street for his 111th birthday. That's where Overton smoked his 12 daily cigars -- Tampa Sweet Perfectos -- and sometimes enjoyed his favorite drink, a whiskey and Coke.

Overton was born on May 11, 1906, the same year as the first wireless radio broadcast, and a year before Oklahoma became a state. He was 5 years old when the Titanic sank.

The Army veteran fought in World War II in a segregated unit. After returning from war, he spent the bulk of his career working at furniture stores, then at the Texas Department of Treasury.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/people/2018/12/27/nations-oldest-man-wwii-veteran-austins-richard-overton-dies-112
That breaks my heart. RIP, Mr. Overton.

Threebean

« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »

Looks like this 125 year old icon is going down the tube.

Sears may be down to its last 24 hours. Iconic retailer likely liquidates if no bid comes in tomorrow.
Sears, 2 stores and all Kmarts are gone by me.
Always did well by Kenmore appliances.  :(
I believe they sold off the Craftsman line years ago.  Tools and the appliances were the only reason to walk in a Sears.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »

What are you smoking Dave?
Any Dave can answer
Bellas Artes Maduro.
I like that one. I pick one up from time to time from my city b&m

Threebean

« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »

Lately, Overton had spent many of his days on the front porch of the home he built 70 years ago. His friends called it his "stage." It's on Richard Overton Avenue, as the town renamed the street for his 111th birthday. That's where Overton smoked his 12 daily cigars -- Tampa Sweet Perfectos -- and sometimes enjoyed his favorite drink, a whiskey and Coke.

Overton was born on May 11, 1906, the same year as the first wireless radio broadcast, and a year before Oklahoma became a state. He was 5 years old when the Titanic sank.

The Army veteran fought in World War II in a segregated unit. After returning from war, he spent the bulk of his career working at furniture stores, then at the Texas Department of Treasury.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/people/2018/12/27/nations-oldest-man-wwii-veteran-austins-richard-overton-dies-112
Indeed.  On the plus side he was a great spokesperson for whiskey and daily cigars.  Don't think the warden is buying it, though.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »

Sears may be down to its last 24 hours. Iconic retailer likely liquidates if no bid comes in tomorrow.
I believe they sold off the Craftsman line years ago.  Tools and the appliances were the only reason to walk in a Sears.
Tough to compete vs the online stores, Lowe's, and Home Depot

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »

I don't believe Craftsman are made in the U.S. any longer.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »

What are you smoking Dave?
Any Dave can answer
Bellas Artes Maduro.
I like that one. I pick one up from time to time from my city b&m
I'm definitely a fan.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »

Indeed.  On the plus side he was a great spokesperson for whiskey and daily cigars.  Don't think the warden is buying it, though.
Yeah, I've been trying to sell that one too for the last several years.

Threebean

« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »

Sears just didn't keep up and got beat at their own game.  Mail order became on-line order, and they missed it.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »

Craftsman used to stand for quality. millennials don't buy tools.

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »

Sold Craftsman Tool Brand to Ace Hardware and Lowe’s but only a few years ago.  Absolutely correct on the Tools and Appliances theory.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »

Sears just didn't keep up and got beat at their own game.  Mail order became on-line order, and they missed it.
Sears self destructed, nobody’s fault but their own mismanagement.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »

Correct, the hand tools have been produced in China and other Asian countries for a few years now.  The power tools have been contracted out all over the world for many many years.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »

Just a good old fashion GFY works fine for me.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »

Just a good old fashion GFY works fine for me.
Only I get yelled at for drawing that card
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10