Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2023, 10:11:06 AM »

Titanic submersible still missing, so they're right up against the clock, from an oxygen standpoint.
Just heard something about how after so much time those things just float right back to the top. Why don't they time that with the amount of oxygen is left?
Apparently, it was supposed to pop up after 24 hours. It's designed with the ropes holding the ballast in place that dissolve after 24 hours, which should allow it to come up. So not sure why that hasn't happened yet, but it doesn't bode well.

I heard a guy describing worst case scenarios about this, and he suggested the worst-case scenario, and the one he think is the case, is that they are bobbing on the surface and the searchers can't find them in the six-foot swells and whitecaps. The hatch must be unbolted from the outside. So the folks inside could suffocate while bobbing on the surface.

There's a cheery thought for you.
You would think that they would put a transponder on subs.  Not like it's a difficult addition.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2023, 10:12:46 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 10.
Raz Over/Under is 15
12. I didn't count Prunella Scales, because even though I know who she is (Fawlty Towers is absolutely brilliant), I don't think I'd be able to pick her out of an old lady lineup these days.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2023, 10:13:22 AM »

[...]

Sounds like the guy who developed it isn't really much into things like safety and common sense.

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2023, 10:19:00 AM »

Page 3 already?

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »

And...

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2023, 10:22:13 AM »

[...]

Not just this little death trap.  I mean all subs.  Sure, you have it turned off when sneaking around, doing spy stuff, but in case of emergency...

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2023, 10:24:30 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 10.
Raz Over/Under is 15

Sixteen.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2023, 10:39:49 AM »

[...]

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. Transponders don't work underwater below a certain depth, and they require power. In a vehicle as complicated as a deep-diving submersible, a transponder can become more liability than benefit.

Regardless, there's nothing safe about what they were doing, and no way to make it so. The passengers had to sign a, like, seven-page waiver that detailed all the ways they could die. They knew the risks, and paid dearly to take those risks. Skydiving is far safer than diving to the Titanic. Climbing Everest is safer than diving to the Titanic. And people die every year skydiving or climbing Everest, having happily accepted the risks.

If you set out to enrich your life experience by venturing into environments fundamentally hostile to human life, you risk dying. That's the choice.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »

Wordle 733 5/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2023, 10:52:02 AM »

[...]

No question it was a huge risk, and those aboard went into it knowing full well how dangerous it was. That doesn't change the fact that the company in charge of this seemed to really make this thing as bare bones as possible. And I don't think the overcomplication of the vehicle itself was the reason, as the founder has been quoted bemoaning safety regulations and seemed to relish in cutting corners around them whenever he could.

Not to say a transponder would've helped in this situation, depending on what actually happened. But it sure would be nice for them if that would've given them a chance.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »

[...]

Yeah, I've seen the quotes, but I don't ever allow myself to be convinced by quotes because context is always lacking in media quotes. All discussions of risk inevitably end up in compromise. The only way to guarantee safety or security is not to do something. If you want to secure a computer from hacking, you have to disconnect it from the outside world and prevent users from getting within arms reach of it - and that reduces its utility to zero.

So if one cherry-picks quotes about safety, and they aren't presented in context, they can make the speaker look vile. And maybe this guy is the devil, I dunno. But I'm always skeptical of such things.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »

[...]

Well, we'll probably never get clarification, since he's onboard right now and likely already dead.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2023, 11:45:10 AM »

[...]

Which will either be an awful shame or justice well-deserved.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2023, 11:50:26 AM »

[...]

Agreed

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2023, 01:05:44 PM »

[...]

The highway and airport are hostile enough to challenge my life experience.  I think the following is much more enriching to my experience.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4