CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 12/15/2020  (Read 2592 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 12/15/2020
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »

Good morning, ProfessionalFootballFans.  One red light, in case you were wondering.  GFM.
Fishy isn't here to give you proper Tuesday abuse, so karma finds another way...

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

Morning, muchachos.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »

Morning SlowToRecoverRick, ToughLossDave, SpankMeTony, OyBot and SlowGoinBeanNotBeaner.
Hahaha. You have a talent, my friend. Good morning to you.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2020, 11:09:46 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:
Rock musician Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge) is 74.
Wonder if he could still play the drums like he used to.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »

It was only a matter of time....

https://halfwheel.com/jas-sum-krals-thc-infused-cigar-goes-on-sale/384990/
I guess we're inhaling this one? Unless of course, we are former Presidents.  ;)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2020, 11:15:06 AM »

One night in early November, I had a friend coming by to have a drink and a cigar and talk.  I needed ice, so I ran up to the convenience store.  Young guy was sitting out front of the store drinking coffee and having a cigarette.  When I came out, he introduced himself as Kevin Urpman, and very politely asked if I could give him a ride into town.  It was out of my way, but...what the hell.  I called my friend.  "Hey, Derek.  I'm giving a guy ride into town from the Boise Creek Grocery.  I'll be back at the house in 10 minutes."

So I drove Kevin into town.  We talked.  He was extroverted, chatty, talked quickly and in bursts.  I'm thinking to myself, "yeah...junkie." I know the symptoms.  I know the smell.

I mentioned I went to high school with some Urpmans.  He told me what kin they were to him.  When I pulled into the parking lot of a store, I saw him eyeing a half-pack of Marlboro's my brother left on the dashboard of my Suburban.  "Take 'em," I said.  "Thanks, man," he said. 

When I got back to the house, Derek was there.  I mentioned the kid's name.  Derek graduated high school same year I started.  It's a small town.  We've known a lot of the same people, even though we didn't know each other until 15 years ago.  He knew the Urpmans that I knew.

I never even thought about the encounter again until an hour ago.  Derek called.  "That was Kevin Urpman you gave a ride to that night I came over, right?"  My recollection was fuzzy.  "Yeah, I think that was his name."

"He was found dead of an overdose in a Sani-Can on December first."

I can't figure out why I'm sitting here grieving.  Not my kid.  I haven't encountered anyone from his family in 37 years or more.  I spent a grand total of about 6 minutes with him.  Gave him my brother's cigarettes.  That's it.

And I'm fucking sitting here weeping and telling some friends about a junkie I gave a lift and it's fucking up my morning.

Christ.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »

One night in early November, I had a friend coming by to have a drink and a cigar and talk.  I needed ice, so I ran up to the convenience store.  Young guy was sitting out front of the store drinking coffee and having a cigarette.  When I came out, he introduced himself as Kevin Urpman, and very politely asked if I could give him a ride into town.  It was out of my way, but...what the hell.  I called my friend.  "Hey, Derek.  I'm giving a guy ride into town from the Boise Creek Grocery.  I'll be back at the house in 10 minutes."

So I drove Kevin into town.  We talked.  He was extroverted, chatty, talked quickly and in bursts.  I'm thinking to myself, "yeah...junkie." I know the symptoms.  I know the smell.

I mentioned I went to high school with some Urpmans.  He told me what kin they were to him.  When I pulled into the parking lot of a store, I saw him eyeing a half-pack of Marlboro's my brother left on the dashboard of my Suburban.  "Take 'em," I said.  "Thanks, man," he said. 

When I got back to the house, Derek was there.  I mentioned the kid's name.  Derek graduated high school same year I started.  It's a small town.  We've known a lot of the same people, even though we didn't know each other until 15 years ago.  He knew the Urpmans that I knew.

I never even thought about the encounter again until an hour ago.  Derek called.  "That was Kevin Urpman you gave a ride to that night I came over, right?"  My recollection was fuzzy.  "Yeah, I think that was his name."

I can't figure out why I'm sitting here grieving.  Not my kid.  I haven't encountered anyone from his family in 37 years or more.  I spent a grand total of about 6 minutes with him.  Gave him my brother's cigarettes.  That's it.

And I'm fucking sitting here weeping and telling some friends about a junkie I gave a lift and it's fucking up my morning.

Christ.
You are grieving because you are a good man. Heck, I'm almost grieving by reading your post. Addiction sucks and this kid died way too young. You gave him a ride less than a month ago and now he is no longer walking the earth. I'd have to question if you didn't feel any emotion at all. In any case, I am sorry for your loss.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »

Christ.
You are grieving because you are a good man. Heck, I'm almost grieving by reading your post. Addiction sucks and this kid died way too young. You gave him a ride less than a month ago and now he is no longer walking the earth. I'd have to question if you didn't feel any emotion at all. In any case, I am sorry for your loss.
I won't try to add anything to what Tony already said. Condolences.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »

Good day Raz.
There is nothing wrong with feeling.  It's when you feel nothing that there is a problem.
There is too much need out there, for employment, for food, for shelter, for compassion.  There is also so much wasted potential.  We should all weep for those in need.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »

Good day Raz.
There is nothing wrong with feeling.  It's when you feel nothing that there is a problem.
There is too much need out there, for employment, for food, for shelter, for compassion.  There is also so much wasted potential.  We should all weep for those in need.
Well said.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »

Later, all.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact