Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2022, 12:56:15 PM »

Ahoy, buckos.

So we're muchachos on land and buckos on the sea?
Correct. The words convey the same meaning. As does the once oft-used term among sailors "bully."
Who woulda known that "Feeling Blue" has a nautical origin...

This term refers to a custom to mark when a ship had lost her captain at sea.  The ship would have a blue band painted along her hull and would fly a blue flag when she returned to port. Now, the term refers to being sad or down.
As with

Pooped: This term refers to waves breaking over an aft deck when a vessel is sailing downwind in high seas. This now means “exhausted,” as a sailor assigned to bailing the pooped deck might have been.

Scuttlebutt: Now a slang term for gossip, this term is thought to have referred to the drinking ladle on boats. Captains often cut small holes or “scuttles” in it to reduce the chatter and wasted time at the water barrel, encouraging the sailors to drink fast before the water ran out.

Square meal: Now a somewhat confusing way of describing a wholesome, filling meal, this term comes from the square plates that the Royal Navy served sailors’ meals on.

Cat’s out of the bag- The cat o’ nine tails whip was used to punish sailors, so if it was out of the bag in which it was stored, that meant that the secret of someone’s wrongdoing was known. This phrase is now used to mean that a secret is out.

Dressed to the nines: When a maritime victory was celebrated, a ship would return to her home port "dressed" in bunting and flags. The crew would also be dressed in their best and out on the nine yards of a tall ship to greet their country. Today the phrase is used to describe a person who is very elaborately dressed.

Whole nine yards: This term is now used to mean “the whole lot” or “everything.” It’s thought this expression comes from square-rigged sailing vessels that had three masts with three sails hung from yard arms on each.  The whole nine yards meant all sails were up.

Some randomness inspired by Captain Raz.

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2022, 12:59:41 PM »

Scurvy lull?

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2022, 01:02:26 PM »

[...]

Or maybe I should say Razdomness... :P

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »

Ahoy, buckos.

So we're muchachos on land and buckos on the sea?
Correct. The words convey the same meaning. As does the once oft-used term among sailors "bully."
Who woulda known that "Feeling Blue" has a nautical origin...

This term refers to a custom to mark when a ship had lost her captain at sea.  The ship would have a blue band painted along her hull and would fly a blue flag when she returned to port. Now, the term refers to being sad or down.
That one I had not heard.

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2022, 01:13:37 PM »

Now I think this is taking things just a bit too far...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oklahoma-football-coach-cale-gundy-resigns-after-reading-hateful-word-in-team-session/ar-AA10qRrj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ae80243295cc41c1ab4afa3e35157e62
Don't read out loud. I should warn my kids in school to read each sentence silently and then if it is ok to re-read it aloud.

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2022, 01:13:39 PM »

Ahoy, buckos.

So we're muchachos on land and buckos on the sea?
Correct. The words convey the same meaning. As does the once oft-used term among sailors "bully."
I actually say this quite often.

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »

[...]

Very interesting.

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2022, 01:17:35 PM »

Now I think this is taking things just a bit too far...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oklahoma-football-coach-cale-gundy-resigns-after-reading-hateful-word-in-team-session/ar-AA10qRrj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ae80243295cc41c1ab4afa3e35157e62
Don't read out loud. I should warn my kids in school to read each sentence silently and then if it is ok to re-read it aloud.
I wonder if someone complained about it between when it happened last week and yesterday? Cause otherwise, a resignation definitely seems like an overreaction.

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

Tire couldn't be repaired. I either replace it with another run-flat tire for $425, get a regular tire for $200, or try getting it repaired somewhere else. #&@$!!!
I'm at the dealership now. The tire might actually be covered. But I won't get my hopes up.

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2022, 01:19:13 PM »

Now I think this is taking things just a bit too far...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oklahoma-football-coach-cale-gundy-resigns-after-reading-hateful-word-in-team-session/ar-AA10qRrj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ae80243295cc41c1ab4afa3e35157e62
Don't read out loud. I should warn my kids in school to read each sentence silently and then if it is ok to re-read it aloud.
I wonder if someone complained about it between when it happened last week and yesterday? Cause otherwise, a resignation definitely seems like an overreaction.
Something tells me there's more to this story.

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »

[...]

They aren't correct about scuttlebutt. The scuttlebutt was a keg - or butt - of drinking water. It got its name because you scooped water from it with an attached ladle that resembled a coal scuttle. While it's true that sailors would exchange gossip around the scuttlebutt, it was because the scuttlebutt was usually the first stop for the oncoming watch and the last stop for the outgoing watch. So it was the place where information would be exchanged between the watches. Captains didn't need to worry about the bullies lollygagging at the scuttlebutt. If you were slow about getting your drink, the other sailors would make you suffer for it until you changed your ways.

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2022, 01:21:03 PM »

Ahoy, buckos.

So we're muchachos on land and buckos on the sea?
Correct. The words convey the same meaning. As does the once oft-used term among sailors "bully."
I actually say this quite often.
If my memory is right, there was an old commercial back in the day with 2 either cartoons or puppet looking things yelling bully! about a bunch of stuff. I wish I could remember what the commercial was for, cause looking up bully commercial on Youtube just gives me a bunch of anti-bullying spots.

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »

Ahoy, buckos.

So we're muchachos on land and buckos on the sea?
Correct. The words convey the same meaning. As does the once oft-used term among sailors "bully."
Who woulda known that "Feeling Blue" has a nautical origin...

This term refers to a custom to mark when a ship had lost her captain at sea.  The ship would have a blue band painted along her hull and would fly a blue flag when she returned to port. Now, the term refers to being sad or down.
That one I had not heard.
This has been an unusually educational day for the banter.

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2022, 01:22:17 PM »

Now I think this is taking things just a bit too far...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oklahoma-football-coach-cale-gundy-resigns-after-reading-hateful-word-in-team-session/ar-AA10qRrj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ae80243295cc41c1ab4afa3e35157e62
Don't read out loud. I should warn my kids in school to read each sentence silently and then if it is ok to re-read it aloud.
I wonder if someone complained about it between when it happened last week and yesterday? Cause otherwise, a resignation definitely seems like an overreaction.
Something tells me there's more to this story.
I would certainly hope so.

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2022, 01:31:18 PM »

Suggestion from Rick.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7