« Reply #540 on: June 12, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

take care boys, i'm out of here...
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #541 on: June 12, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

glob of sweet chocolate, heavy dose of sharp cedar, touch of pepper...

First read this as a dose of sharp cheddar... thought that was kind of a weird flavor to pick up in a cigar, but it's all subjective, so...
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #542 on: June 12, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »

My Father La Antigueded.....
The aroma is great, like toasted nuts. First few draws were wide open draw with loads of smoke and a harsh aftertaste. Draw continued a loose but the flavors started to settle in just after a few puffs. You know immediately it's a DPG. Just into the first 1/2" it's a sweet cedar almost delicate in nature. The pepper is faint and only late onto the finish, like it's telling you it's time for another puff. Sooooo much sweet mellow smoke, I had to stop and look at the cigar and tell it "your very good".   Grey ash and the burn is just a bit off, but wow here come more flavors. A spicy Mexican cocoa with a lingering pepper, and this is all in the first 1". The cigar continues with toasted nuts and sweet cocoa, the cigar almost begs to be retrohailed. My only issue is I can't keep the burn even and it wants to go out if unattended for some time.

Sounds good.  I find myself retrohaling almost every single puff.  It's become second nature/habit, seems more difficult not to.
it's a good cigar joe, it merits a $6 price point. I also think a robusto is a good size. The toro may be a bit of overkill.

Does it compare at all to the FdlA or do the similarities end with the band?
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #543 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

glob of sweet chocolate, heavy dose of sharp cedar, touch of pepper...

First read this as a dose of sharp cheddar... thought that was kind of a weird flavor to pick up in a cigar, but it's all subjective, so...

Cheddar might not be bad with the right spice profile, y'know.

It's a pretty distinct tasting smoke.  I could see it really appealing to some people and and really turning some people off.  Between the Brazilian mata fina, the Costa Rican corojo binder, and the usual Fuego Hon/Nic corojo fillers, its got an interesting mix of tobaccos.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #544 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »

[...]

you can tell they are in the same family, FdlA was hit and miss for me, the robusto I got from ken prompted me to get a box of toro and a box of robusto. They never lived up to my first experience so I got rid of them. This cigar seems a bit more refined.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #545 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »

Nobody else at the office, I'm heading home early.  Have a great evening, all.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #546 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

25 Oliva Serie 'V' Sampler
            5/27.50
24 La Herencia Cubana CORE
         10/37.50
23 Don Lino Africa Duma Robusto
         10/22.50
22 Bugatti B-2002 Dual Torch Lighter
          1/25.00
21 Camacho Triple Maduro 4.5-50
         10/39.99
20 Liga Privada Papas Fritas
          8/35.00
19 CAO Flavours Eileen's Dream Robusto
         10/27.50
18 Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo
          5/27.50
17 Gurkha Class Regent
         10/29.50
16 Tatuaje Ambos Mundos Sumatra Robusto #2
          5/19.99
15 Sun Grown Square Off Sampler AB American/RP Sun Grown
         10/39.50
14 Ave Maria Reconquista
          3/39.99
13 Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Maduro Magicos Robusto
         10/19.99
12 La Gloria Cubana Glorias en Cedro Churchill
          7/29.50
11 Cain Habano 'F' Robusto
          5/22.50
10 Punch Uppercut Toro
         10/34.99
 9 PDR 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Toro
          5/18.50
 8 AVO XO Robusto
         10/39.99
 7 H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Churchill
          5/23.50
 6 Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Belicoso
         10/39.99
 5 Casa Magna Oscuro Belicoso
          5/22.50
 4 Oliva Serie 'O' Churchill
         10/39.99
 3 Man O' War Armada Corona
          5/37.50
 2 The Griffin's
         10/37.50
 1 CAO Flathead
          5/20.50

« Reply #547 on: June 12, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »

Good evening, fellas.  Can't believe how late it is. Saw a few new/old members posting today.  Didn't even mind catching so much shit from Cam.   ;D
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #548 on: June 12, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »

26 CAO Flathead V450 Sparkplug Robusto
          5/20.50
[...]

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #549 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »

Good evening, fellas.  Can't believe how late it is. Saw a few new/old members posting today.  Didn't even mind catching so much shit from Cam.   ;D
Pretty quiet now....evenin', Tony.

« Reply #550 on: June 12, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »

Good evening, fellas.  Can't believe how late it is. Saw a few new/old members posting today.  Didn't even mind catching so much shit from Cam.   ;D
Pretty quiet now....evenin', Tony.
I don't mind, Dave.  I could use a little quiet.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/12/2014
« Reply #551 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

Good evening, fellas.  Can't believe how late it is. Saw a few new/old members posting today.  Didn't even mind catching so much shit from Cam.   ;D
Pretty quiet now....evenin', Tony.
I don't mind, Dave.  I could use a little quiet.
I hear ya.....about time to head for the house myself. See ya later.
Logged

JAC

  • Founding Member
  • Newbie Status
« Reply #552 on: June 12, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

Afternoon, all.  Cuba Aliados Originales, OTT.  Haven't had a Reyes, so I added these on at Holt's for $6.95/6 to find out how bad they are.  Certainly not pretty, but good draw and burn, earthy, woody, and inoffensive, save for a couple harsh notes on the finish.  Might even say it tastes like a cigar.  Could make for an acceptable yardgar or moochgar (Look, dude, it says Cuba on the band).  Now, to dig up something good.

« Reply #553 on: June 12, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »

Good evening, fellas.  Can't believe how late it is. Saw a few new/old members posting today.  Didn't even mind catching so much shit from Cam.   ;D
Pretty quiet now....evenin', Tony.
I don't mind, Dave.  I could use a little quiet.
Were we bad with the avi's?

« Reply #554 on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:19 PM »

Evening all running late today but V lit now with a sparkling water on the side.  Hot as hell here but better than cold as hell!