CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: 9/13/2021  (Read 2785 times)

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
Re: 9/13/2021
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2021, 02:26:26 PM »

I was driving back from Bend on Thursday and stopped for gas.  As I was pulling into the gas station, I had a sudden sharp stinging in the left side of my lower back. I thought a wasp had slipped into the open window and got me.  Hurt like hell.  But I couldn't find any bugs.
The pain subsided after about 20 minutes.  I didn't think much about it after that until yesterday morning, when I discovered there was a rash in that area.  Still figured it was a bug bite.  Come afternoon, I was feeling fatigued and run-down.  That's when the oh-shit light went on in my head.  Shingles.  Called my doctor, sent him a picture of the affected area.  Sure enough.  So now I'm on Acyclovir 5 times a day.  Fun times.  Middle age sucks.
damn Raz. that sucks. I am lucky. I never had chicken pox so the chance low getting shingles.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2021, 02:26:43 PM »

Speaking of for the birds, time to head out to do a quick modified grocery shopping trip, then go up to see the wife, hopefully after her stomach scoping procedure reveals some answers. Hazzuh.
Good luck, Dave.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2021, 02:32:58 PM »

time to get ready and Zoom into England at 3pm, 8pm UK time.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »

I was driving back from Bend on Thursday and stopped for gas.  As I was pulling into the gas station, I had a sudden sharp stinging in the left side of my lower back. I thought a wasp had slipped into the open window and got me.  Hurt like hell.  But I couldn't find any bugs.
The pain subsided after about 20 minutes.  I didn't think much about it after that until yesterday morning, when I discovered there was a rash in that area.  Still figured it was a bug bite.  Come afternoon, I was feeling fatigued and run-down.  That's when the oh-shit light went on in my head.  Shingles.  Called my doctor, sent him a picture of the affected area.  Sure enough.  So now I'm on Acyclovir 5 times a day.  Fun times.  Middle age sucks.
I got shingles in my mid 20s. They say stress can bring it on. But I know that pain and it ain't fun. Good luck to you, Raz.
I wonder if I can get the vaccine for that one? Definitely don't want to go through that again. Sometimes I still feel side affects 20+ years later.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »

I got shingles in my mid 20s. They say stress can bring it on. But I know that pain and it ain't fun. Good luck to you, Raz.
Yeah, and the past few weeks had been stressful.  It had calmed down by the Holiday weekend, but I suppose by then the virus was already awakened.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »

damn Raz. that sucks. I am lucky. I never had chicken pox so the chance low getting shingles.
Lucky you.  Though I expect you'd happily trade your RA for it.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »

I wonder if I can get the vaccine for that one? Definitely don't want to go through that again. Sometimes I still feel side affects 20+ years later.
The likelihood of a recurrence of the disease for you is statistically very small.  About 50% of people who have had chicken pox will get at least one attack of Shingles, but only 10% of those will get a second case.  Getting the vaccine could decrease the chance even lower, but only for about 3 years or so and it wiil not eliminate the chance altogether.  The vaccine can only prevent the disease altogether if given to people who haven't had chicken pox. They don't really understand the nature of the Zoster virus' hibernation, and have yet to figure out a way to locate it in the nervous system when it's hiberating - at least not in living tissue.  If you're still having pain, but not flareups, it's likely postherpetic neuralgia due to nerve damage from the previous infection. How's that for Internet Doctoring?

Anyway, may not be worth the trouble of the vaccine, or maybe it is to you.  Discuss it with your doctor.

My case is mild - just that one stab of pain on Thursday, and subsequently an itchy rash and low-grade fever and malaise.  Calamine lotion is managing the itch.  My dad had a much more painful case a couple of years ago.  So I'm lucky.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2021, 06:09:30 PM »

Mellow Monday

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2021, 07:08:01 PM »

Tryin' to start the week off right.
Those are quite good.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2021, 07:10:07 PM »

Mellow Monday
Another fine Connecticut.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »

Cooked steaks on the grill. Now finishing this New World and it's couch time for me. Wish me luck tomorrow. I'm meeting with the City for code enforcement. Employer wants to not hire any help.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »

Cooked steaks on the grill. Now finishing this New World and it's couch time for me. Wish me luck tomorrow. I'm meeting with the City for code enforcement. Employer wants to not hire any help.
Good luck with that, Rick. Keep us posted.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »

The likelihood of a recurrence of the disease for you is statistically very small.  About 50% of people who have had chicken pox will get at least one attack of Shingles, but only 10% of those will get a second case.  Getting the vaccine could decrease the chance even lower, but only for about 3 years or so and it wiil not eliminate the chance altogether.  The vaccine can only prevent the disease altogether if given to people who haven't had chicken pox. They don't really understand the nature of the Zoster virus' hibernation, and have yet to figure out a way to locate it in the nervous system when it's hiberating - at least not in living tissue.  If you're still having pain, but not flareups, it's likely postherpetic neuralgia due to nerve damage from the previous infection. How's that for Internet Doctoring?

Anyway, may not be worth the trouble of the vaccine, or maybe it is to you.  Discuss it with your doctor.

My case is mild - just that one stab of pain on Thursday, and subsequently an itchy rash and low-grade fever and malaise.  Calamine lotion is managing the itch.  My dad had a much more painful case a couple of years ago.  So I'm lucky.
Varicella Zoster is a Herpes virus.  They do a good job of hiding out and preventing elimination.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »

Mellow Monday
Much better than the Manic kind.  Evening Oy.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »

Time for a little more football.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7