Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 11:57:17 AM »

Connections
Puzzle #320
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 11:58:04 AM »

A bit like pulling teeth.

Wordle 1,042 5/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2024, 11:59:23 AM »

I should have seen the spangram sooner than I did.

Strands #54
“Staff members”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🟡🔵

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2024, 12:00:47 PM »

Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Twelve.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2024, 12:06:35 PM »

Guitar lady for Raz.

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2024, 12:07:09 PM »

Page 3

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2024, 12:07:41 PM »

and...

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2024, 12:20:29 PM »

Connections
Puzzle #320
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2024, 12:26:41 PM »

Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Six.

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2024, 12:31:29 PM »

Guitar lady for Raz.
Lilly is the daughter of the great John Hiatt, of whom I am a great admirer. We share an impulse to put geographical references in lyrics, something we talked about when I met her briefly in Portland. I played her a snippet of my song "Gone" which starts like this:

"I traded in the Lexus
For a beat-up Belvedere
Went from riches to a ragtop
New York City in the rear-view mirror
I dropped the top in Harrisburg
On highway 81
With luck I'll get through Knoxville
By the rising of the sun..."

She said she thought it was great, and that she knew that route. That was flattering.

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2024, 01:25:57 PM »

Guitar lady for Raz.
Lilly is the daughter of the great John Hiatt, of whom I am a great admirer. We share an impulse to put geographical references in lyrics, something we talked about when I met her briefly in Portland. I played her a snippet of my song "Gone" which starts like this:

"I traded in the Lexus
For a beat-up Belvedere
Went from riches to a ragtop
New York City in the rear-view mirror
I dropped the top in Harrisburg
On highway 81
With luck I'll get through Knoxville
By the rising of the sun..."

She said she thought it was great, and that she knew that route. That was flattering.
We'll count that as the coinkydink of the day.

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2024, 01:38:42 PM »

Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Wow, that's HUUUUGE Friday then.
Oh yeah. She gets out at 11, has a manicure appt at noon, taking pictures at 5:30 and then dropped off at the venue downtown at 6. Big doings.
Ahhh, to be young again!
No. No. No. No. No.

I went to high school here in Enumclaw, which in the early 80s was far more of a hick town than now (and it's still a bit of a hick town). So, prom night, senior year, 1983. My girlfriend Phyllis and I are double-dating with her cousin Tim and his girlfriend Tris. Tim had already graduated three years earlier.  They asked me to select the restaurant for dinner, because I knew the big town better than they did. They wanted something elegant. I talked with Tim and explained that elegant was going to be spendy. He was working for the water department, making more money than me, so he said spendy wasn't going to be a problem. In hindsight, I should have defined exactly what "spendy" actually meant. Hindsight.

So I booked us a reservation at Henry's Off Broadway in Seattle. I advised everyone that we weren't doing the tuxedos and ball gowns thing, or we'd be flagged for hicks. No limo bullshit. Little black dresses for the ladies, black or blue suits for the guys, and we'd take Tim's car. Tim looked a bit uncomfortable in a suit, but it worked. Classy, and not like a bunch of kids pretending. The families were impressed.

I knew I was in trouble after we were seated. Tim looked at the menu, then leaned over to me and whispered, "There's no prices." That's when I realized that Tim simply had no concept what he was in for.

Fortunately, I had a credit card - a perk of being a grocery clerk and member of the UFCW. I told him I'd take care of it, and we'd settle up later. He was quite distressed to later find out he owed me $200. That was a lot of money in 1983.

I ran into Tim and Tris several years ago. He insisted they take Carol and I for dinner in Seattle. He asked me to pick the place. General hilarity ensued. I thought better of suggesting the Union Grill, and instead suggested Seraphina, which is very nice but not $100 a plate.

Prom night? No thanks. It was lunacy then and it's gotten steadily worse.

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2024, 01:52:13 PM »

[...]

These days, prom includes dinner. At least, it does at their school, and if I remember correctly, so did mine. But yes, you should've clarified with Tim what spendy meant. But I suppose if you had, you wouldn't have a great story these days, so it works out.

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2024, 02:07:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4