CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 4/1/2021  (Read 2928 times)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
Re: 4/1/2021
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »

My next guitar - a Nash T-52.
She's a beaut. Colors on that look like an inverse of a Clapton guitar.
Yeah, sort of.  Clapton's "Blackie" was a black, late fifties Stratocaster with a white celluloid pickguard cobbled together from several instruments he bought secondhand.   This Nash T-52 is a recreation of the 1952 Telecaster with a bakelite pickguard (made out of the same material as telephones of the time) and finished in a translucent white nitrocellulose lacquer finish that was a custom option in 1952 but not at all common. 

I already have three "stratocaster"-type guitars (double cutaway with three single-coil pickups), but no "telecaster"-type since I gave mine to #1 son back when he was in middle school.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »

Yeah, sort of.  Clapton's "Blackie" was a black, late fifties Stratocaster with a white celluloid pickguard cobbled together from several instruments he bought secondhand.   This Nash T-52 is a recreation of the 1952 Telecaster with a bakelite pickguard (made out of the same material as telephones of the time) and finished in a translucent white nitrocellulose lacquer finish that was a custom option in 1952 but not at all common. 

I already have three "stratocaster"-type guitars (double cutaway with three single-coil pickups), but no "telecaster"-type since I gave mine to #1 son back when he was in middle school.
I'm sure she'll sound as good as she looks.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2021, 01:50:58 PM »

Camacho Corojo Robusto - 10/44.99

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »

Season has barely begun and we've already got our first #FakeRona postponement, Nats and Mets.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »

My collection of guitars currently comprises twenty instruments, nine of which were inherited and two of which were gifts.  The oldest is a late 1930's Orpheum archtop, which was a recent gift from a friend.  The newest (and most recent acquisition) is a 2018 Gibson Historic 1959 Reissue Les Paul, which also happens to be the most expensive by a long shot and the most valuable.  The one I have owned the longest is a Yamaha G-230 classical guitar that my grandfather bought for me in Boise, Idaho summer of 1979 when I was 14.  The cheapest (not including gifts) is a Daisy Rock that cost me $100.  The one I have played the most is the Grosh Retro Classic, a stratocaster-style electric guitar that has been my main instrument since 2004. 

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »

My collection of guitars currently comprises twenty instruments, nine of which were inherited and two of which were gifts.  The oldest is a late 1930's Orpheum archtop, which was a recent gift from a friend.  The newest (and most recent acquisition) is a 2018 Gibson Historic 1959 Reissue Les Paul, which also happens to be the most expensive by a long shot and the most valuable.  The one I have owned the longest is a Yamaha G-230 classical guitar that my grandfather bought for me in Boise, Idaho summer of 1979 when I was 14.  The cheapest (not including gifts) is a Daisy Rock that cost me $100.  The one I have played the most is the Grosh Retro Classic, a stratocaster-style electric guitar that has been my main instrument since 2004.
Sounds like quite a lineup you've got, impressive.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2021, 02:08:03 PM »

Diesel Uncut Toro - 10/29.99

Probably our best deal of the day so far.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »

And my last one of the day. OOO message set up, time to close up shop for the long weekend. Hazzuh!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »

I'm sure she'll sound as good as she looks.
Oddly enough, the Telecaster - which was the first commercially successful solidbody electric guitar - remains the most versatile guitar ever devised.  Other guitars have been created with more pickups, more switches, and various sonic goo-gaws, but despite the fact that the instrument was originally created specifically for Western Swing guitarists, no other guitar has been so broadly used across all forms of music from Country to Heavy Metal.  Muddy Waters and Albert Collins were blues innovators who played Teles.  George Harrison played one at the Beatles' final live performance on the rooftop of Apple Records in 1969.  Keith Richards has been playing one with the Rolling Stones since at least 1971.  The only electric guitar Brian May put on tape with Queen other than his self-built Red Special was the Telecaster he used on "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."  On the first two Led Zeppelin albums, Jimmy Page mostly used a Telecaster.  Clapton played one when he was with the Yardbirds at the dawn of his career, and again with Blind Faith in the late 60's.  Bruce Springsteen's is a mongrel - an Esquire neck with a Telecaster body; but other than the fact the Esquire is a single-pickup guitar it is indistinguishable from a Telecaster.  Tom Morello played all of Rage Against The Machine's drop-tuning heavy metal on a Telecaster.  Prince's is a cheapo Hohner copy that is not so cheap anymore.  Joe Strummer helped define Punk with the Clash using a Telecaster.  James Burton played one for Elvis.  Mike Bloomfield played a Tele at Newport Folk in 1965 when he and Dylan stuck a dagger in the heart of the Folk music dream.  Joe Pass, Mike Stern, Jim Campilongo, and Robben Ford brought them to Jazz and Steve Morse created southern-fried cosmic fusion weirdness with the Dixie Dregs on a modified Telecaster.  Les Paul was fond of playing Telecasters, and that blows the mind.  Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton invented wild, weird sounds with the Telecaster and their hands that inspired development of footpedals now commonly used by guitarists.

I could go on and on. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2021, 02:58:56 PM »

Well, just the two of us got it to page 3.  Let's see how far we can push this thing.
I'm very proud of you both.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »

Well, just the two of us got it to page 3.  Let's see how far we can push this thing.
Tony will be so proud of us.
I am. I really am.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »

Sounds like quite a lineup you've got, impressive.
Eh...not terribly impressive. None are terribly rare or valuable.  The Ibanez Iceman and MC-100 from the late 70's have some historical interest, as does the Orpheum.  The Gibson B-25 12-string acoustic has been in the family since my grandmother bought it for my dad in 1962, was passed around one day in late 1963 among musicians who would go on to form such bands as Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, and Quicksilver Messenger Service, backed up Grace Slick in 1964, and played the main stage at Monterey Folk the same year.  But market value is only about $1500 on a good day.

The rest are all good instruments - some very good - and some have great nostalgic value to me, but wouldn't much intrigue a real collector.  But that suits me fine.  They were meant to be played, not gawked at over expensive cognac.  And I play them all. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »

I am. I really am.
We made it to page 4.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2021, 03:03:50 PM »

My team are all walking on air today.  At an agency all-staff meeting, they were called out for detailed kudos.  That was nice. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »

I am. I really am.
We made it to page 4.
I'm enjoying learning about guitars too. Always liked the Telecaster.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6