Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »

In 1985, U.S. fighter jets forced an Egyptian plane carrying the hijackers of the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro (ah-KEE'-leh LOW'-roh) to land in Italy, where the gunmen were taken into custody. Actor-director Orson Welles died in Los Angeles at age 70; actor Yul Brynner died in New York at age 65.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 04:49:08 AM »

In 1997, the International Campaign to Ban Landmines and its coordinator, Jody Williams, were named winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:37 AM »

Ten years ago: Angela Merkel struck a power-sharing deal that made her the first woman and politician from the ex-communist east to serve as Germany's chancellor. President George W. Bush dined in the French Quarter and stayed in a luxury hotel to showcase progress in hurricane-battered New Orleans. Israeli-American Robert J. Aumann and Thomas C. Schelling of the U.S. won the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for their research on game theory. Milton Obote (oh-BOH'-tay), the first prime minister of an independent Uganda, died in Johannesburg, South Africa, at age 79.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 04:56:40 AM »

Five years ago: President Barack Obama delivered one of his most stinging criticisms yet of the GOP record to several thousand people in Philadelphia's Germantown neighborhood as he urged voters not to sit out the midterm elections. Kim Jong Il's heir apparent, Kim Jong Un, joined his father at a massive military parade in his most public appearance since being unveiled as North Korea's next leader. Opera singer Dame Joan Sutherland, 83, died at her home in Switzerland.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 04:57:10 AM »

One year ago: Malala Yousafzai (mah-LAH'-lah YOO'-suhf-zeye), a 17-year-old Pakistani girl, and Kailash Satyarthi (KY'-lash saht-YAHR'-thee), a 60-year-old Indian man, were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for risking their lives for the right of children to receive an education and to live free from abuse. The Kansas City Royals defeated the Baltimore Orioles 8-6 at Camden Yards in the opener of the AL Championship Series.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 04:57:45 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Former Illinois Sen. Adlai Stevenson III is 85. Actor Peter Coyote is 74. Entertainer Ben Vereen is 69. Singer John Prine is 69. Actor Charles Dance is 69. Rock singer-musician Cyril Neville (The Neville Brothers) is 67. Actress Jessica Harper is 66. Author Nora Roberts (aka "J.D. Robb") is 65. Singer-musician Midge Ure is 62. Rock singer David Lee Roth is 61. Actor J. Eddie Peck is 57. Country singer Tanya Tucker is 57. Actress Julia Sweeney is 56. Actor Bradley Whitford is 56. Musician Martin Kemp is 54. Actress Jodi Benson (Film: "The Little Mermaid") is 54. Rock musician Jim Glennie (James) is 52. Actress Rebecca Pidgeon is 50. Rock musician Mike Malinin (mah-LIHN'-ihn) (Goo Goo Dolls) is 48. Retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre is 46. Actor Manu Bennett is 46. Actress Joelle Carter is 46. Actress Wendi McLendon-Covey is 46. Actor/TV host Mario Lopez is 42. Race driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. is 41. Actress Jodi Lyn O'Keefe is 37. Singer Mya is 36. Actor Dan Stevens is 33. Singer Cherie is 31. Actress Rose McIver is 27. Actress Aimee Teegarden is 26.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 04:58:24 AM »

Thought for Today: "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." — Orson Welles (1915-1985).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 04:59:30 AM »

United Way
-------------------------

A local United Way office realized that the organization had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute.

"Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"

The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"

Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbled, "Um ... no."

The lawyer interrupts, "or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"

The stricken United Way rep began to stammer out an apology, but was interrupted again.

"or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"

The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."

On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again, "So if I don't give any money to them, why should I give any to you?"

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 06:04:18 AM »

Sheesh time.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »

good morning. off to Gainsville for a 'business' meeting for the weekend with that 12 step program I belong to, and I have to be back in Crystal River to participate in a Family Feud game at the catholic church Sunday by 1:30. retirement isn't always fun and games. plenty of cigar time during the drives though.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »

Sheesh time.
Morning LSU, you able to make the game today?
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »

Sheesh time.
Morning LSU, you able to make the game today?
Good morning Dean and Native.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/10/2015
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 07:04:44 AM »

Sheesh time.
Morning LSU, you able to make the game today?
No games for me any more, the wife and I used to go to all the games years ago but we are to old to fight the crowds and traffic now.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »

Sheesh time.
Morning LSU, you able to make the game today?
No games for me any more, the wife and I used to go to all the games years ago but we are to old to fight the crowds and traffic now.
I know what you mean about the crowds and traffic, me too.  But unfortunately my wife does not understand because I am the one that does it while she rides along as she says it is not that bad.......  Seems easy to her. ::). A big crowd to me is more than 5 people.

I just tell her now if she wants to go find a boyfriend to take her.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »

Good morning Chip, Dave, Dean. At Honda getting my first oil change, stayed up until 1:30 watching the Mets win
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5