CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 8/24/2020  (Read 3413 times)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
Re: 8/24/2020
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »

Sounds kinda interesting. Is this a new blend, or has someone tried this one already?

https://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/shadow-king-by-aj-fernandez-cigars

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »

Speaking of post whoring...what is the single most expensive item of clothing you've ever purchased? 

I thought I'd set a new record last week, but I figured out that my all time record was set in 2000 - which I suppose isn't surprising, because I was making a lot of money as a consultant in those tech-bubble days.  That was a black leather car coat I purchased in Manhattan for ~$450.  Adjusted for inflation, that's about $677 in 2020 dollars.  That eclipses the last suit I bought, in 2013, for my mom's funeral (~$500), and the $585 I spent on a coat last week.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

Speaking of post whoring...what is the single most expensive item of clothing you've ever purchased? 

I thought I'd set a new record last week, but I figured out that my all time record was set in 2000 - which I suppose isn't surprising, because I was making a lot of money as a consultant in those tech-bubble days.  That was a black leather car coat I purchased in Manhattan for ~$450.  Adjusted for inflation, that's about $677 in 2020 dollars.  That eclipses the last suit I bought, in 2013, for my mom's funeral (~$500), and the $585 I spent on a coat last week.
I'm not much for expensive clothing. I think other than a suit, my most expensive was probably a leather coat I had around 2000-2005 or so. But even that was a gift, so I don't know how much it was. The most expensive thing I bought for myself was my new winter coat last year, and that was around $100, if memory serves.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:37 AM »

I'm not much for expensive clothing. I think other than a suit, my most expensive was probably a leather coat I had around 2000-2005 or so. But even that was a gift, so I don't know how much it was. The most expensive thing I bought for myself was my new winter coat last year, and that was around $100, if memory serves.
Yeah, I'm not usually enthusiastic over expensive clothing either, which is why I can remember my record expenditures.  But I do like things that serve well and last.  I still have that car coat, 20 years later, and that purchase was actually forced upon me. I'd gone to teach a class in Chicago without a coat, because the weather was warm.  Then I got asked to go teach a class in New York, and it was cold and windy there.  I needed a coat posthaste, and knew I was going to pay jacked-up prices in Manhattan, so I figured the only way to win in that dilemma was to amortize the cost over a long time.  So I bought leather.  Figure it's cost me about 10 cents a day.  That's acceptable.

The coat I bought last week was something I've wanted for a long time.  Took me four years to talk myself into it. 

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »

That would be a suit for about $550.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »

Yeah, I'm not usually enthusiastic over expensive clothing either, which is why I can remember my record expenditures.  But I do like things that serve well and last.  I still have that car coat, 20 years later, and that purchase was actually forced upon me. I'd gone to teach a class in Chicago without a coat, because the weather was warm.  Then I got asked to go teach a class in New York, and it was cold and windy there.  I needed a coat posthaste, and knew I was going to pay jacked-up prices in Manhattan, so I figured the only way to win in that dilemma was to amortize the cost over a long time.  So I bought leather.  Figure it's cost me about 10 cents a day.  That's acceptable.

The coat I bought last week was something I've wanted for a long time.  Took me four years to talk myself into it.
Coats generally speaking get the best wear value.  Anymore, few people wear suits every day, so they aren't that great a deal, but jackets/coats are worn for months each year.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »

@LuvTooGolf: What does your authority say about the pages of banter we'll get today? Things are not looking good. Do we have any cigar news?
Brick House Connecticut Robusto - 10 / $37.50 being offered by Cigars International today. Connies have been very popular in here as of late. Any word on these in particular?
But only offered for a bit, 'cause we be Jammin!
What?!? They're wasn't a jam going on this morning, was there?

Good morning, ClemsonDave.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »

Morning, muchachos.
Good morning, Bret.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »

That's an interesting topic. Like most of us on here, can't necessarily recall such an expenditure because it wasn't something I enjoyed. My wedding tux probably cost a pretty penny but I've blocked the specific cost out of my memory.

However, I do remember spending $300 Canadian dollars on a hand-made custom pair of leather dress shoes back in the mid 90s. That probably only translated to $150 US at the time but it was the best money I've ever spent on an article of clothing. I think I finally got rid of them about 5 years ago. Wore the shit out of those shoes.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »

Coats generally speaking get the best wear value.  Anymore, few people wear suits every day, so they aren't that great a deal, but jackets/coats are worn for months each year.
I always wanted to wear suits to work. I have childhood memories of the tail-end of the 60s, when my grandfather was a realtor and wore suits to work. But by the time I became a "professional" those days were gasping their last. When I went into business for myself I bought a handful of sports coats, slacks, and ties, but that went down the tubes and when I went to work for the state there was no real point. I took to wearing the sports coats again three years ago, mostly because they were there and a convenient way to conceal the sidearm, and shortly after that I finally got the big promotion. So maybe there's still some vestiges of mystique to it. Then the pandemic hit and now I don't even go to the office.

But yeah...coats get the most wear value anymore, and due to Washington's highly variable weather, I need an assortment of them. And my various outdoor hobbies require an additional assortment of specialized outerwear. 

My wife says I have too many jackets. But I refuse to be that guy who wears hunting camo or tactical gear everywhere, as a number of my friends do.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »

@LuvTooGolf: What does your authority say about the pages of banter we'll get today? Things are not looking good. Do we have any cigar news?
Brick House Connecticut Robusto - 10 / $37.50 being offered by Cigars International today. Connies have been very popular in here as of late. Any word on these in particular?

There was, indeed.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »

That's an interesting topic. Like most of us on here, can't necessarily recall such an expenditure because it wasn't something I enjoyed. My wedding tux probably cost a pretty penny but I've blocked the specific cost out of my memory.

However, I do remember spending $300 Canadian dollars on a hand-made custom pair of leather dress shoes back in the mid 90s. That probably only translated to $150 US at the time but it was the best money I've ever spent on an article of clothing. I think I finally got rid of them about 5 years ago. Wore the shit out of those shoes.
$150 for custom shoes was a bargain in the 90s. Good shoes will save you a lot of misery. I don't skimp on footwear - but I've developed a skill for finding them on eBay cheaply.  I've got three pairs of Lucchese cowboy boots that would have cost $750-$1200 a pair from the store, and I don't have $500 into all three pairs. The Zamberlain boots I wear hunting and shooting would be $600, but I got them for $90, and they've served for ten years and show no sign of wearing out.

I own a tuxedo. An $800 Italian worsted wool number. Found it in a thrift store in a college town. Pristine. Still had the tags on. Cost me $25. I've only had two occasions to wear it, but for $25 I'll make space in the closet. ;-)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »

There was, indeed.
I missed it because the mobile app doesn't explicitly say, Joe's Jambalaya.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »

Room101 FARCE Lonsdale - 10 / $49.99
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5