CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on August 18, 2020, 12:01:57 AM

Title: 8/18/2020
Post by: CigarBanter on August 18, 2020, 12:01:57 AM
Happy Tuesday! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 05:58:30 AM
Morning, twofers.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 06:24:10 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 06:26:58 AM
Good morning, Dave and Mark.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 06:27:08 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
Insomnia?
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 06:29:05 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 06:35:22 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
Insomnia?
Yep.  Woke up at 3:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 06:36:00 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
One was. But I'll be damned if I still didn't get a red one.  Bastige!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 06:36:51 AM
Good morning, Dave and Mark.
Good morning AFOC.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 07:26:18 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Is that a thing? I don't believe ours change to blinking yellow due to time of day or night.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 07:37:02 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Is that a thing? I don't believe ours change to blinking yellow due to time of day or night.
Yes, it's a thing.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 07:50:01 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Is that a thing? I don't believe ours change to blinking yellow due to time of day or night.
Definitely. And we have a couple near us that change to blinking yellow for the weekends, since the areas they're in are mainly business parks.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 08:00:23 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Is that a thing? I don't believe ours change to blinking yellow due to time of day or night.
Definitely. And we have a couple near us that change to blinking yellow for the weekends, since the areas they're in are mainly business parks.
Makes sense. The area I live in is too populated for that. I'm sure it's done in more rural areas of Jersey too.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 08:34:54 AM
I'm in a shitshow of a meeting right now. I much prefer to discuss traffic lights with you all.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 08:39:27 AM
I'm in a shitshow of a meeting right now. I much prefer to discuss traffic lights with you all.
(https://i.redd.it/f88s1u3g7ma41.jpg)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 09:47:29 AM
Good morning Dave, Tony, and Mark.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 09:55:37 AM
Good morning, FirstDave.
The stoplights might still be blinking yellow for you at this hour.
Is that a thing? I don't believe ours change to blinking yellow due to time of day or night.
Not so much in urban areas, but yes, lights can be programmed to different timing during the day, go yellow or even go permanent red until an approaching car hits the sensor.  CarolinaDave could explain all this to you.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 09:59:19 AM
Morning CrackODawnDave, PreCrackODawnBean, OofWorthyTony and GiveHerAnOofDean.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:01:01 AM
Editor for CI's DOD must have been drinking heavily yesterday....Torano Hogshead but labeled as Oliva 2nds Liga ML.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 10:02:35 AM
Morning CrackODawnDave, PreCrackODawnBean, OofWorthyTony and GiveHerAnOofDean.
Morning Dave.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:03:10 AM
Sis not much better with the "deal" 10/$45....yea right.
Text isn't well done either....
Flavored?  ....No
Pressed?  ....No
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 10:13:20 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 10:14:15 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Morning Razman.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:15:49 AM
Today is Tuesday, Aug. 18, the 231st day of 2020. There are 135 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On August 18, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, guaranteeing all American women’s right to vote, was ratified as Tennessee became the 36th state to approve it.

On this date:
In 1587, Virginia Dare became the first child of English parents to be born in present-day America, on what is now Roanoke Island in North Carolina. (However, the Roanoke colony ended up mysteriously disappearing.)
In 1838, the first marine expedition sponsored by the U.S. government set sail from Hampton Roads, Virginia; the crews traveled the southern Pacific Ocean, gathering scientific information.

In 1846, during the Mexican-American War, U.S. forces led by Gen. Stephen W. Kearny occupied Santa Fe in present-day New Mexico.
In 1894, Congress established the Bureau of Immigration.
In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson issued his Proclamation of Neutrality, aimed at keeping the United States out of World War I.

In 1963, James Meredith became the first Black student to graduate from the University of Mississippi.
In 1969, the Woodstock Music and Art Fair in Bethel, New York, wound to a close after three nights with a mid-morning set by Jimi Hendrix.
In 1983, Hurricane Alicia slammed into the Texas coast, leaving 21 dead and causing more than a billion dollars’ worth of damage.

In 1993, a judge in Sarasota, Fla., ruled that Kimberly Mays, the 14-year-old girl who had been switched at birth with another baby, need never again see her biological parents, Ernest and Regina Twigg, in accordance with her stated wishes. (However, Kimberly later moved in with the Twiggs.)
In 2009, former South Korean President and Nobel Peace laureate Kim Dae-jung (kihm day-joong) died in Seoul.

In 2014, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon ordered the National Guard to Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis convulsed by protests over the fatal shooting of a Black teen. Don Pardo, 96, a durable radio and television announcer known for his introductions with a booming baritone on “Saturday Night Live” and other shows, died in Tucson, Arizona.
In 2017, Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump’s top White House strategist, was forced out of his post by Trump; Bannon returned immediately as executive chairman to Breitbart News, which he led before joining Trump’s campaign. (Bannon would step down as Breitbart chairman in January 2018 after the release of a book in which he criticized Trump and members of his family.)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:17:13 AM
Ten years ago: General Motors filed the first batch of paperwork to sell stock to the public again, a significant step toward shedding U.S. government ownership a year after the automaker had filed for bankruptcy. A bull leapt into the packed grandstands of a bullring in northern Spain and ran amok, charging and trampling spectators and leaving dozens of people injured. (The bull was brought under control by handlers and was later killed.)

Five years ago: The Food and Drug Administration approved Addyi (ADD’-ee), the world’s first prescription drug designed to boost sexual desire in women. Bud Yorkin, a director and producer who helped forge a new brand of topical TV comedy with the 1970s hit “All in the Family,” died in Los Angeles at age 89.

One year ago: Kathleen Blanco, who became Louisiana’s first female governor only to see her political career derailed by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, died in hospice care in Lafayette, Louisiana at the age of 76; she’d struggled for years with cancer. Broadcaster Jack Whitaker, who reported on events ranging from the first Super Bowl to Secretariat’s Triple Crown, died in Devon, Pennsylvania; he was 95.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 10:21:17 AM
Busy preparing cooling towers for inspection and Legionella samples to the labs.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 10:21:59 AM
Yes the deals are bitter. They figure no one will read the description
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 10:22:06 AM
Sis not much better with the "deal" 10/$45....yea right.
Text isn't well done either....
Flavored?  ....No
Pressed?  ....No
Are you vying for the position?
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 10:22:24 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Morning Razman.
Morning, Deano.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 10:23:05 AM
Good morning, Dean, Bret, and Rick.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 10:24:11 AM
Morning CrackODawnDave, PreCrackODawnBean, OofWorthyTony and GiveHerAnOofDean.
Thought I already got you but I didn't. Good morning, ClemsonDave.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:24:57 AM
Today’s Birthdays:

Former first lady Rosalynn (ROH’-zuh-lihn) Carter is 93.
Movie director Roman Polanski is 87.
Olympic gold medal decathlete Rafer Johnson is 85.
Actor-director Robert Redford is 84.
Actor Henry G. Sanders is 78.
Actor-comedian Martin Mull is 77.
Rhythm-and-blues singresse Sarah Dash (LaBelle) is 75.
Rock musician Dennis Elliott is 70.
Country singer Jamie O’Hara is 70.
Comedianesse Elayne Boosler is 68.
Country singer Steve Wilkinson (The Wilkinsons) is 65.
Actor Denis Leary is 63.
Actress Madeleine Stowe is 62.
Former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner (GYT’-nur) is 59.
ABC News reporter Bob Woodruff is 59.
The former president of Mexico, Felipe Calderon, is 58.
Bluegrass musician Jimmy Mattingly is 58.
Actor Adam Storke is 58.
Craig Bierko (BEER’-koh) is 56.
Rock singer-musician Zac Maloy (The Nixons) is 52.
Rock singer and hip-hop artist Everlast is 51.
Masta Killa (Wu-Tang Clan) is 51.
Actor Christian Slater is 51.
Actor Edward Norton is 51.
Actor Malcolm-Jamal Warner is 50.
Actress Kaitlin Olson is 45.
Actor-writer-director Hadjii is 44.
Rock musician Dirk Lance is 44.
Actor-comedian Andy Samberg (TV: “Saturday Night Live”) is 42.
Country musician Brad Tursi (Old Dominion) is 41.
Actor Mika Boorem is 33.
Actress Maia Mitchell is 27.
Actress Madelaine Petsch is 26.
Actress Parker McKenna Posey is 25.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:26:43 AM
Busy preparing cooling towers for inspection and Legionella samples to the labs.
Hope you were wearing proper protection!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:29:01 AM
Sis not much better with the "deal" 10/$45....yea right.
Text isn't well done either....
Flavored?  ....No
Pressed?  ....No
Are you vying for the position?
I could manage that...well, except I might be a little too honest...  Might make a typo now an again in the pricing to help out my BOTL's but otherwise I'd do a fine job.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 10:30:05 AM
Morning MicrobiologyRick and SailOnSailorRaz.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 10:35:20 AM
Sis not much better with the "deal" 10/$45....yea right.
Text isn't well done either....
Flavored?  ....No
Pressed?  ....No
Are you vying for the position?
I could manage that...well, except I might be a little too honest...  Might make a typo now an again in the pricing to help out my BOTL's but otherwise I'd do a fine job.
You've got my vote.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
Morning MicrobiologyRick and SailOnSailorRaz.
Good morning Clemson Dave, Uncle Tony, Deano, Mr Bean, Razzle dazzle, and DOG aka LTG.

Always have my PPE
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
Sis not much better with the "deal" 10/$45....yea right.
Text isn't well done either....
Flavored?  ....No
Pressed?  ....No
Are you vying for the position?
I could manage that...well, except I might be a little too honest...  Might make a typo now an again in the pricing to help out my BOTL's but otherwise I'd do a fine job.
No doubt.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 10:50:00 AM
Good morning, Dean, Bret, and Rick.
Morning, Tony.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 10:50:46 AM
Morning MicrobiologyRick and SailOnSailorRaz.
Morning, TD.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 12:13:13 PM
End of the morning lull.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 01:21:13 PM
End of the morning lull.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 01:22:50 PM
End of the morning lull.
No doubt about it.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 01:23:04 PM
Postponed CF officially canceled.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 01:43:54 PM
End of the morning lull.
All the morning meetings going on.  I can feel myself getting dumber as I sit through them.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 02:15:55 PM
End of the morning lull.
All the morning meetings going on.  I can feel myself getting dumber as I sit through them.
Absatively!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 02:18:17 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/0b2bf979170df9a589b0f5ac1aecdd3f.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on August 18, 2020, 02:19:13 PM
Hazzuh, hell-bound!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
Hazzuh, hell-bound!
Later!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 02:29:30 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/0b2bf979170df9a589b0f5ac1aecdd3f.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 03:08:52 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 03:12:03 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...

good thing I'm a NOBODY.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 04:17:40 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...

good thing I'm a NOBODY.
Nobodys is my favorite West Side Story character. Or is that Anybodys?
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 04:21:30 PM
 Jesus died for our sins that we may be saved so there!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 04:33:51 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 04:34:46 PM
Jesus died for our sins that we may be saved so there!
I think the point is that he's now reconsidering this.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 04:39:47 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/0b2bf979170df9a589b0f5ac1aecdd3f.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!
The Reverend places himself at the mercy of Jesus, but his confidence is high and he is more concerned about standing before Jesus "empty-handed."
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 04:46:08 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 04:58:07 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...

good thing I'm a NOBODY.
Nobodys is my favorite West Side Story character. Or is that Anybodys?
Nobody's on first, anybody's at second.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 05:15:52 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
This is what I'm having.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/f0bfe6be9f67c36f26f3b0a8f168742c.jpg)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 05:18:37 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
This is what I'm having.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/f0bfe6be9f67c36f26f3b0a8f168742c.jpg)
Not too shabby at all.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 05:19:02 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...

good thing I'm a NOBODY.
Nobodys is my favorite West Side Story character. Or is that Anybodys?
Nobody's on first, anybody's at second.
THIRD BASE!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.
Preach!
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 05:26:28 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
This is what I'm having.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/f0bfe6be9f67c36f26f3b0a8f168742c.jpg)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on August 18, 2020, 05:31:40 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.

so, if we leave the group we have a chance?
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 05:46:44 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
This is what I'm having.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/f0bfe6be9f67c36f26f3b0a8f168742c.jpg)
Man, that looks delicious.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Threebean on August 18, 2020, 05:50:08 PM
Looks like I may be grilling in the rain.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/862d6e1b51e1b9300e58b37332547676.jpg)
No rain here at the moment but I've already loaded the slow cooker with chicken thighs.
This is what I'm having.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/f0bfe6be9f67c36f26f3b0a8f168742c.jpg)
You forgot the color again.
(https://media1.tenor.com/images/7ba1b5225434a4c8bfa19c8f23100d3d/tenor.gif?itemid=16015047)
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 05:53:56 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.

so, if we leave the group we have a chance?
That explains so much.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 06:37:44 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.
Preach!
Well, I try not to make a habit of it with those who don't care to hear. But y'all kinda left an opening.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 07:11:50 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.

so, if we leave the group we have a chance?
That explains so much.

Nah. We just talk about cigars and life here. That's why I stay. It's honest, most the time.

John Stewart, a songwriter of whom I've always been a fan (God rest his soul), wrote this:

"Jesus hung with the hard line gang
Jesus knew the songs they sang
He didn't have no money
I hear he didn't have a dime
I do believe I'd have been a friend
Of Jesus in his time..."

My late mom hated that song. She thought it trivialized Jesus. I can understand that, but I never agreed.

See, the thing is, Jesus wasn't the handsome, distant, transcendental figure people imagine him to be. The fishermen, the tax collectors, the embezzlers, the whores, the cripples, the lepers, and even politicians liked hanging out with him. They liked having him at their parties. And why? Because he treated them like they were worthwhile, no matter how screwed up they were.

Me, I'm not Jesus. I'm a fuckup. Oh, sure, I made it to the upper end of the middle class. Got the wife and the two great sons, and the dog and the mortgage. On paper, I'm a success. Not as much as some, but sho' nuff richer than most. Which is pretty much what all of us here are.

But...you want the confession? Okay, in 55 years, for all the things I've done good, there are an equal number of things I've fucked up. I've been a drug dealer, an addict, a thief, a burglar, a liar, an adulterer, a cheat, an occasional drunk, and when I was 21 I had a girlfriend who was sixteen...which qualifies me as a sexual predator. Now I could try to justify myself by pointing out that her mom thought I was a great guy, and she and I still correspond once very two years or so, but that's still beyond the pale. Her stepdad didn't like me a bit, and he was right. And when I was playin' in the band? Jeezus.

So I'm not Jesus. But I know Jesus. And I know forgiveness. And repentance. And I try to be a man who repents and forgives. Deano knows what I'm talking about here, from AA.  Right, Deano? When you've been to the bottom, you learn to repent, and forgive.

So...y'all call me RevRaz, because I work for a church as a worship arts director, and as an Elder, and as a servant. And that's cool. It's true.

But if I've got anything to say here about all that, it's just this: Jesus loves me. This I know. Cuz the Bible tells me so. And he loves you, too. Cuz if he can love a fuckup like me, y'all got it made.

Still, it ain't about whose sin list is shorter, or whose paycheck is bigger, or whose humidor is fancier, or whose dick is longer or more frequently utilized. It's only that we don't come to Jesus on our own terms. We come to him on his terms. He doesn't give a shit what we've done or said, he only cares that we come repentant. Again...Dean understands this, probably better than I do, regardless of the fact I have a degree in theology.

Here ends the sermon. I don't give uninvited sermons often. But y'all opened this door, so here it is. Jesus loves you, so I love you. And I'm grateful y'all seem to like having me around. Or don't mind, anyway.

And I won't proselytize here. Promise. But if anyone ever wants to talk about Jesus, and what he was, and what he wasn't, you can hit me offline.

I'll shut up now. Nuff said.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 08:22:14 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.

so, if we leave the group we have a chance?
Yup, about as much as the camel fitting through the eye of that needle...
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 08:27:08 PM
He's got his chaw, I have mine.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 08:27:48 PM
Now to back up and read RevRaz sermon.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on August 18, 2020, 08:31:00 PM
[...]

That was well said, Reverend Bret.i like it when you get personal. We've all done stupid shit. Heck, I've even smoked a Gurkha or two.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 08:38:34 PM
Fine read indeed. Heck, we talk politics here, religion is sorely needed!  While reading it, I was reminded of a print I got years ago , its a black and white sketch of Jesus with a big smile.  It struck me as so odd yet warmed my heart at the same time.  Of course he smiled, with his family, with his friends, when speaking to those he felt he could help. It was not all pain and suffering.   Ill have to dig it out and post one of these days.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 08:39:41 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/04369207c790f6ec58b4fb1ef13e7408.jpg)

End of the morning lull.

Not even the Reverend!?!

there's always exceptions.

But it clearly states...
It clearly states that nobody FROM this group is going to heaven.  It doesn't say nobody IN this group is going to heaven.

This is akin to Jesus what Jesus meant when he prayed over those his Father had given them, describing them as IN the world, but not OF the world.

Now y'all know why you dubbed me the Reverend.  Well, it was also because I am one.  But not full-time.

so, if we leave the group we have a chance?
Yup, about as much as the camel fitting through the eye of that needle...
^^This.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: bluecollar on August 18, 2020, 08:42:41 PM
[...]

I enjoyed reading your post Raz. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 08:46:29 PM

[...]

Fuck, I don't mean to try to sound like I know shit about anything. This thing of ours you set up, Tone. And the people who've stuck it out are people who believe. Golfin' Dave and I don't agree politically, and you and Travellin' Dave tend to be more moderate than I am. But we argue and then we smoke cigars and we hope that LTG doesn't get pissed off and leave. He's a smart guy who sees the world differently than I do. But I'll still take a bullet for him. Because he's here, and anyone who'll throw their lot in with me, even when we disagree, is someone I'll stand with.

Right?
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Oyam18 on August 18, 2020, 09:03:39 PM

[...]

This is 2020
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 09:24:37 PM
Exactly!  Thats life. If we all thought alike, what a boring place it would be. Hopefully Washington can get back to that level of sanity before long.

[...]

Exactly!  That is life. Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought alike?  Hopefully Washington can return to that level of sanity eventually. ...I'm an optimist occasionally.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on August 18, 2020, 09:31:05 PM
while we're on the subject, I've always assumed you know, but just in case, I use RevRaz with respect.
Title: Re: 8/18/2020
Post by: razgueado on August 18, 2020, 11:36:44 PM
while we're on the subject, I've always assumed you know, but just in case, I use RevRaz with respect.
Thank-you. I don't at all mind if someone uses it to give me shit. But if I haven't pissed people off here, then that makes me happy. I just want to point out that in many ways I am RevRaz, and I take that seriously for those who need to hear from a rev. But here? We all just friends here.