Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »

Titanic submersible still missing, so they're right up against the clock, from an oxygen standpoint.
Just heard something about how after so much time those things just float right back to the top. Why don't they time that with the amount of oxygen is left?
Apparently, it was supposed to pop up after 24 hours. It's designed with the ropes holding the ballast in place that dissolve after 24 hours, which should allow it to come up. So not sure why that hasn't happened yet, but it doesn't bode well.

I heard a guy describing worst case scenarios about this, and he suggested the worst-case scenario, and the one he think is the case, is that they are bobbing on the surface and the searchers can't find them in the six-foot swells and whitecaps. The hatch must be unbolted from the outside. So the folks inside could suffocate while bobbing on the surface.

There's a cheery thought for you.
You would think that they would put a transponder on subs.  Not like it's a difficult addition.
Sounds like the guy who developed it isn't really much into things like safety and common sense.

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. Transponders don't work underwater below a certain depth, and they require power. In a vehicle as complicated as a deep-diving submersible, a transponder can become more liability than benefit.

Regardless, there's nothing safe about what they were doing, and no way to make it so. The passengers had to sign a, like, seven-page waiver that detailed all the ways they could die. They knew the risks, and paid dearly to take those risks. Skydiving is far safer than diving to the Titanic. Climbing Everest is safer than diving to the Titanic. And people die every year skydiving or climbing Everest, having happily accepted the risks.

If you set out to enrich your life experience by venturing into environments fundamentally hostile to human life, you risk dying. That's the choice.
Well, not necessarily a traditional transponder, but some sort of signal or ping device, self contained with battery with a unique signal that searchers would know to look for.

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2023, 01:16:02 PM »

Came back from lunch to a bunch of emails that needed my attention. Don't these people know I'm just working for the weekend at this point? Sheesh.

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2023, 01:16:46 PM »

[...]

The highway and airport are hostile enough to challenge my life experience.  I think the following is much more enriching to my experience.
Amen, brother. I want the challenge of drinking as much rum on the beach as possible, while still enjoying the beach.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »

Debris field found near the Titanic wreckage. Sounds like they believe it's from the submersible, news conference scheduled for 3 pm.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »

Debris field found near the Titanic wreckage. Sounds like they believe it's from the submersible, news conference scheduled for 3 pm.
Seems like they're relatively certain they went the implosion route. Which, if they had to go, was probably the best choice.

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2023, 04:59:09 PM »

Debris field found near the Titanic wreckage. Sounds like they believe it's from the submersible, news conference scheduled for 3 pm.
Seems like they're relatively certain they went the implosion route. Which, if they had to go, was probably the best choice.
Yeah, I was just reading that too. May they all RIP.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2023, 05:06:06 PM »

Four for me.

Wordle 733 4/6

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2023, 06:11:39 PM »

[...]

I'm with you.

No, seriously, can I go too?

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2023, 06:13:04 PM »

Debris field found near the Titanic wreckage. Sounds like they believe it's from the submersible, news conference scheduled for 3 pm.
Seems like they're relatively certain they went the implosion route. Which, if they had to go, was probably the best choice.
Guaranteed quick and painless. When the hull crumples, you don't have time to blink.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2023, 09:11:37 PM »

300 Hands maddie

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2023, 09:39:17 PM »

High school graduation was really nice. The valedictorian gave a hell of a speech.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]