CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: 7/6/2014  (Read 29262 times)

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/6/2014
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »

And as I was typing that response, the RG Perla has reached the midway point (giving me another 1.25 or so inches to smoke before I figure it'll get too small/hot to smoke with ease). 

Still generally smooth/light amount of pepper and sweet.  Oak/vanilla notes up front, black coffee/touch of chocolate, slight fruity flavor?  A strong retro push gives me almonds and floral notes.   

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »

what's Tapatalk?
It's an app for mobile devices that formats forums like this one so they are easier to use on smartphones and such.  I'm using it as I type this.

dwgbryant

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »

what's Tapatalk?
It's an app for mobile devices that formats forums like this one so they are easier to use on smartphones and such.  I'm using it as I type this.
so I can download the app and access the banter from it? why?

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »

First complaint:  the band was glued on too strongly, cracking the wrapper ever so slightly upon removal.  CB's fault, clearly.  Must've made a detour to Cuba on one of his trips to Macy's.

More 2nd half notes: 

Hey, that black coffee note is stronger.  So is the oak.  Pepper has actually gone away, replaced by floral notes and maybe a dash of cinnamon?  A nice stronger, clean tasting "final 3rd."   Excellent draw/burn/plenty of smoke.   

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »

what's Tapatalk?

So you can banter on your phone easier.  If you don't use your phone for your internet cigar bantering needs, then no worries.  I prefer having a real keyboard, so I use my laptop 99.99% of the time.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »

what's Tapatalk?
Because it's easier to read, edit, and post.

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

Final RG thoughts:

Got a little hotter a little sooner than I would have liked, but only maybe a quarter of an inch (so, given this vitola, only 2 or 3 draws maybe).  So I had to really slow down the smoking more than usual to get the last few puffs.  Otherwise, really solid flavors and excellent construction.  For a $2.80, a damn fine minuto.

Total smoking time was 55 minutes, give or take.  Probably be closer to 45 if I weren't actively reviewing it.  And that could be easily sped up some for winter weather without really negatively impacting anything but the ass end of the smoke, I think, given how well it burned. 

I would put it on par with the Boli CJs and Partagas Shorts and whatnot.  RG isn't typically regarded in the same breath as the other tier 1 brands, but I think the Perla (assuming the box is consistent) has the flavor and construction to stand with them. 

How that's all ranked will fall into flavor preferences, of course.  This is more mild than the Bolivar, less earthy, less strong, less pepper, but I think a bit more complex.  My CJ boxes are August 2012, so they're only a month apart in age.  The final third/nub, as it were, was very similar to the beginning/middle of the Bolivar, before it really picks it up.  Not as earthy, but that strong, clean, rich dark and woody tobacco.     

That's all subject to change up, of course.  2 years young and only 1 day OTT.  Maybe these really take off at year 4 or 5.  But even if it stays the exact same, I wouldn't complain, especially not for a $2.80 cigar. 

*Edit*  And I forgot to mention the final third/nub spiciness picked up.  Nice cinnamon type kick. 

dwgbryant

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »

thanks Will great review on the RG.

dogdays

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »

A another great review from Will . thank you! 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »

Damned bunch of enablers.

dogdays

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »

LOL, I hear you! . Good afternoon Bret ! .

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

Not even.  I'd write more reviews if they hated them. 

But seriously, I think the Perla presents an interesting option at $70.  I've seen the bundles/boxes elsewhere for $100 and at that price it is less interesting.  But $70? 

The regular 4.3x42ish minuto lasts me around 60-65 minutes, give or take.  So 15-20 more minutes for $1.20 more, which is a pretty proportional increase in burn time for money.  The RG Perla is 70% the cost of the Bolivar Corona Jr and burned about 75% as long.  I know +/- 5% is a lot statistically, but in this case we're only talking 5 minutes. 

I could have to refill my drink and increase the burn time longer than that.

So it isn't like there is a real world tobacco:money drop off in going down to the slightly smaller size--and it might work out in your favor (because 5% -is- a lot statistically). 

The question then becomes quality. 

Well, it was as well constructed as any Cuban as I've had.  Flavors were satisfying and complex.  More of a first cigar of the session type smoke, certainly, but not mild or anything weak tasting (unless you've got a scorched palate and can only taste super full pepper bombs.  If that's the case, this is a shitty smoke for you.).  Would probably make an ideal morning coffee cigar, if that's part of the routine.  Like I said earlier though, I think it stands on par with the other tier 1 smokes in this price range. 

It might not fair too well compared to a Monte #5, but they're $5-6 smokes most places.  Not only that, but they're the same size as the Perlas--so for twice the price, the cigar should be better. 

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »

Will, what do you think of the El Principe

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »

El Guapo, A plethora of seegars.

dogdays

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »

Dave how dare you,  enable that man ! .
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10