CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 5/22/2021  (Read 1555 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
5/22/2021
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:06:19 AM »

What's up cigar enthusiasts?!  Any cigar deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 5/22/2021
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 12:11:52 AM »

Still jamless. I'm pretty surprised. Here's what Joe has for us today:

Oliva Serie 'O' Robusto (5.0"x50) - 10 / $42.50

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:30:07 AM »

>>Well I stand corrected. I assumed IPAs were created hundreds of years ago when people were traveling/exploring by ship.

That's exactly why they developed in the early 19th century, and why - the high ABV helped them survive long ship journeys.

But after two world wars they'd disappeared in England, and after Prohibition only Ballantine's survived in the US.  Ballantine's clung on, but by the 50's, drinkers in the US were completely abandoning ales in favor of watery pale lagers.  Ballantine's ultimately faltered and sold out to Fallstaff, which in turn faltered and sold out to Pabst.  What Ballantine's became after that we won't discuss.

Those were the dark times into which I was born, when men walked into a bar and said "beer" and looked at the bartender with scorn if he asked "which?"  When I reached drinking age, I thought I despised beer.  Turns out I only despised the horse-piss that was foisted on consumers as "beer" under the brands Budweiser, Coors, and Pabst.  And as if that wasn't bad enough, somebody came up with the idea of watering it down even further and charging a premium for "Light beer."  Americans loved it!   People wonder that Americans were such fans of Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump.  But that's par for the course from the country that gave the world Bud Lite and the Silver Bullet.  Not that great beer really defines a country.  I mean, Germany loved Angela Merkel.  Go figure.

Anyway, by the 90s real beer was starting to reappear in the world.  You had to go to brew pubs to get it, and it cost too much, but at least it could be had.  And that's when, after millennia of brewing history, brewers finally figured out that if you categorized your product like the French and Starbucks, people will pay more for it!  Suddenly we could choose among Lattes, Cappuccinos, Breves, and Mochas in the morning, and by happy hour we had to select among Nut Brown Ales, Stouts, Aspics, Pilsners, Pale Ales and   India Pale Ales at Happy Hour.  Good times.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »

>>Well I stand corrected. I assumed IPAs were created hundreds of years ago when people were traveling/exploring by ship.

That's exactly why they developed in the early 19th century, and why - the high ABV helped them survive long ship journeys.

But after two world wars they'd disappeared in England, and after Prohibition only Ballantine's survived in the US.  Ballantine's clung on, but by the 50's, drinkers in the US were completely abandoning ales in favor of watery pale lagers.  Ballantine's ultimately faltered and sold out to Fallstaff, which in turn faltered and sold out to Pabst.  What Ballantine's became after that we won't discuss.

Those were the dark times into which I was born, when men walked into a bar and said "beer" and looked at the bartender with scorn if he asked "which?"  When I reached drinking age, I thought I despised beer.  Turns out I only despised the horse-piss that was foisted on consumers as "beer" under the brands Budweiser, Coors, and Pabst.  And as if that wasn't bad enough, somebody came up with the idea of watering it down even further and charging a premium for "Light beer."  Americans loved it!   People wonder that Americans were such fans of Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump.  But that's par for the course from the country that gave the world Bud Lite and the Silver Bullet.  Not that great beer really defines a country.  I mean, Germany loved Angela Merkel.  Go figure.

Anyway, by the 90s real beer was starting to reappear in the world.  You had to go to brew pubs to get it, and it cost too much, but at least it could be had.  And that's when, after millennia of brewing history, brewers finally figured out that if you categorized your product like the French and Starbucks, people will pay more for it!  Suddenly we could choose among Lattes, Cappuccinos, Breves, and Mochas in the morning, and by happy hour we had to select among Nut Brown Ales, Stouts, Aspics, Pilsners, Pale Ales and   India Pale Ales at Happy Hour.  Good times.
Always fun learning on CigarBanter. Thanks, Raz.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »

Even on my day off, I'm working. Had a clogged sink in the upstairs bathroom. Unfair that the person with no hair has to repair that, no?

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 09:37:32 AM »

there was a time the 'best beer' I found in NY was Genesee 12 Horse Ale. nobody but me was drinking it and at less than a dollar a bottle it was a bargain. then it caught on and the price went up. Becks was a bargain for awhile but their price went up. for a drunk like me I bought the cheapest draft there was. I drank for effect not taste.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 09:42:24 AM »

Even on my day off, I'm working. Had a clogged sink in the upstairs bathroom. Unfair that the person with no hair has to repair that, no?
too funny. maybe you ought to keep a jug of drain cleaner and a plunger in plain sight in the bathroom as a 'hint'.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »

But please, no more Sours!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »

And similarly the development of Port.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 10:57:46 AM »

I say ignore it.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »

On my way to BradFest 2021. First cigar up, MoW Valkyrie robusto.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »

there was a time the 'best beer' I found in NY was Genesee 12 Horse Ale. nobody but me was drinking it and at less than a dollar a bottle it was a bargain. then it caught on and the price went up. Becks was a bargain for awhile but their price went up. for a drunk like me I bought the cheapest draft there was. I drank for effect not taste.
A yes, the days of Genny Cream!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »

On my way to BradFest 2021. First cigar up, MoW Valkyrie robusto.

You'll have more cigars during your drive than you do in the average week!
Pace yourself during the herf!  Enjoy!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »

Morning HerfinTony, SudsFactsRaz and BackWithUsDean.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 11:02:03 AM »

So Dean, good to get out on the links yesterday?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4