Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »

Man O War lit with the Eagles singing Take'n It Easy
One of the few Eagles songs I truly hate.  Yes, it's a classic song.  But it is contrived and predictable and not at all indicative of what they would become...i.e. the most musically talented rock band ever assembled, and arguably the third greatest rock and roll band of all time (after the Beatles and the Stones).

But. Not. That. Song.

Sorry, rant over.
Sheesh, every band has to start somewhere, and usually the early songs are not indicative of what a band will be come.  Don't think She Loves You or I Want to Hold Your Hand are clear indicators for the Beatles.
Besides, it's Dean's theme song (or should be)
Yes, but contextually, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was groundbreaking work.  It seems trite now only because of what the Beatles went on to do.  But at the time, that was a whole new approach to rock and roll - musically, vocally, and compositionally.  It hearkened back to Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Chuck Berry, but no one but NO one was going to confuse the Beatles with those guys, let alone the pablum on the radio in 1964.  Pat Boone anyone?  Neil Sedaka?

By contrast, "Take it Easy" was just a knock-off.  It is utterly of it's time.  The last great gasp of the country rock movement started by the Byrds with "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" in 1968. All right, so it paid the bills so they could sit around and come up with "Witchy Woman", and "One of these Nights" and they could let Randy Meisner write "Take it to the Limit."  All of those songs have the unique interval skips and "Chuck-Berry-On-Roids" harmonic structures, along with the acerbic and emotionally ambivalent lyrics that marked all their later work.  All that serves to make "Take it Easy" the outlier that it is - a collaborative work with Jackson Browne and JD Souther, a sunny little stoner set-piece about a guy whose biggest problems are all the women in his wake, but Lord here comes his next victim.  If all the Eagles songs were guests at a party, "Take It Easy" would be the drunk, annoying guy who keeps babbling on about all the women he's going to fuck and ends up passed out by the toilet.

And that would all be fine except the radio played the damned thing to fucking death, and still does.
No argument at all with that interesting and entertaining thesis.
But doesn't every party need that drunk?  Just a necessary part of the formula.
Yes, exactly.  But I can still hate him.

(Metaphorically speaking.  I really don't despise those drunks at the party - as a musician who plays in dives, those guys actually keep me entertained and paid.  So I don't really hate them).

« Reply #331 on: April 22, 2015, 06:55:52 PM »

[...]

The Banter is a permanent meeting I don't have to find a conference room for.

« Reply #332 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »

My favorite Ragae on now Inner Circle - Sweat.    Perfect fuk'n song!
Didn't they do the "Cops" theme?

« Reply #333 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »

[...]

Me, I just know what I like.
I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I wanna get with you
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that butt you got makes me so horny
Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-skin
You say you wanna get in my Benz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average groupie
I've seen them dancin'
To hell with romancin'
She's sweat, wet,
Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back
So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
Has your girlfriend got the butt? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
Shake that healthy butt!
Baby got back!

Seattle's own.

« Reply #334 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »

My favorite Ragae on now Inner Circle - Sweat.    Perfect fuk'n song!
Didn't they do the "Cops" theme?
You mean "Bad Boys", yes indeed.  I believe Bob Marley contributed to Inner Circle.

« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »

[...]

Exactly, such is the need for songs like "Take it Easy".

« Reply #336 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:47 PM »

Guess I will check out and fix some dinner.

« Reply #337 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Guess I will check out and fix some dinner.
I've done enough tonight....time to get a cigar and wine then decide on some dinner.

« Reply #338 on: April 22, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »

Guess I will check out and fix some dinner.
I've done enough tonight....time to get a cigar and wine then decide on some dinner.
Seeya, Dave, and Tex.  Two hours to go for me.  Have to work late to deploy some geographic data.

« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »

Guess I will check out and fix some dinner.
I've done enough tonight....time to get a cigar and wine then decide on some dinner.
Seeya, Dave, and Tex.  Two hours to go for me.  Have to work late to deploy some geographic data.
Pinot Noir poured, cigar in hand.

« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »

Guess I will check out and fix some dinner.
I've done enough tonight....time to get a cigar and wine then decide on some dinner.
Seeya, Dave, and Tex.  Two hours to go for me.  Have to work late to deploy some geographic data.
Pinot Noir poured, cigar in hand.
That'll do.  Nice choice.

« Reply #341 on: April 22, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Okay, my work is finally done.  Now I can run by Costco for Coffee and whiskey, and then head home.  Catch y'all later or tomorrow.

« Reply #342 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »

Okay, my work is finally done.  Now I can run by Costco for Coffee and whiskey, and then head home.  Catch y'all later or tomorrow.
Have a good one Raz, time to start thinking dinner myself,  Think I'll go with Mexican.

« Reply #343 on: April 22, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »

Did I stumble into Rolling Stone magazine tonight? Anyhow, here's my review of the new RB, for Tony - Pretty good so far. Strong barnyard smell prior to light. First half inch had a strong campfire smell, which I didn't expect. Kinda like the KFC. Back to barnyard after that. Solid burn, perfect draw.  Getting stronger past the halfway point. In short, me likey.

« Reply #344 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:03 PM »

Did I stumble into Rolling Stone magazine tonight? Anyhow, here's my review of the new RB, for Tony - Pretty good so far. Strong barnyard smell prior to light. First half inch had a strong campfire smell, which I didn't expect. Kinda like the KFC. Back to barnyard after that. Solid burn, perfect draw.  Getting stronger past the halfway point. In short, me likey.
+1
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24