Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2023, 12:55:54 PM »

With all that, I do take some issue with the comments by Raz (who has much more a musicians mentality than me).

I don't know of many performers or bands that only perform their own stuff, and thats a good thing for all those musician/songwriters out there who ain't great singers or performers.

Considering the number of songs Loggins has written or co-written, I don't think he has anything to prove to anybody.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »

With all that, I do take some issue with the comments by Raz (who has much more a musicians mentality than me).

I don't know of many performers or bands that only perform their own stuff, and thats a good thing for all those musician/songwriters out there who ain't great singers or performers.

Considering the number of songs Loggins has written or co-written, I don't think he has anything to prove to anybody.
Wouldn't consider myself a fan of his, but from a non-musician perspective (since my saxophone days are long gone and I never got past the beginner stage of guitar playing), Danger Zone is a banger, as the kids say.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »

Wordle 696 4/6*

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟩
🟨🟩⬛🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2023, 02:10:02 PM »

2sDay Afternoon!

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2023, 02:11:23 PM »

2sDay Afternoon!
Haven't had one of those in a minute. Good smoke.

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »

Hazzuh!

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2023, 02:29:30 PM »

With all that, I do take some issue with the comments by Raz (who has much more a musicians mentality than me).

I don't know of many performers or bands that only perform their own stuff, and thats a good thing for all those musician/songwriters out there who ain't great singers or performers.

Considering the number of songs Loggins has written or co-written, I don't think he has anything to prove to anybody.

No, and I didn't mean to imply that he did. Loggins can do whatever he wishes. That's what I meant by "following his muse."

I just don't like the song, which is neither here nor there. But his own comment that the song doesn't represent him as an artist speaks for itself. He also doesn't own any portion of the copyright, so he's not getting royalties for it. So my admittedly rhetorical question becomes, "then why do it?"

There ARE several possible answers. He does have a song on the Top Gun soundtrack that is his own composition - "Playing with the Boys." That song is, IMHO, a better song, and does represent Loggins. Maybe that's the deal he cut to get his song in the movie and in the soundtrack.  Maybe he owed somebody a favor. Maybe he got someone to owe him a favor.

In context, it's still odd. With the exception of Toto, the artists listed in the prior post that turned the song down were all down the food chain from Loggins in 1985-86. And Toto didn't have the commercial history that Loggins did.

But that was my point about Loggins. I don't get the choices he makes. About half the albums he's ever done are among my favorite albums. The others, in my opinion and my opinion alone, flat suck. The only one that falls in between is "Vox Humana," which only partly sucks.

I'm sure Kenny Loggins loses no sleep over my opinions, and neither should anyone else. He can cry all the way to the bank.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2023, 04:49:27 PM »

Dave said Banger. In my day that would be long hair, leather jacket and heavy metal of course.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2023, 04:50:41 PM »

Tasty little bugger

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2023, 04:58:41 PM »

Dave said Banger. In my day that would be long hair, leather jacket and heavy metal of course.
In my day as well. But the kids these days, they don't know nothin'.

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2023, 05:32:26 PM »

Dave said Banger. In my day that would be long hair, leather jacket and heavy metal of course.
In my day as well. But the kids these days, they don't know nothin'.
In Texas in the 1970s, those would be "Freaks," in contrast to "Ropers" who wore boots and cowboy hats and dipped Copenhagen.

In Washington in the early 80s, they would be "Stoners." Contrast to "Loggers" who wore braces, high water jeans, moccasins, and dipped Copenhagen, or "Cowboys" (equivalent to Ropers).

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2023, 07:13:08 PM »

Wordle 696 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2023, 08:07:33 PM »

 Live music and a SD

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2023, 08:10:14 PM »

Some talk about music yesterday and today.
I really measure an artist on how well they perform live.
A lot of what I listen to is live.

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2023, 09:31:05 PM »

That was weird. Tapatalk logged me out of CigarBanter. WTF?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5