« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Plus it don't pay to go look for some more.
13 rigs pulled off the jobs last week in TX alone.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »

@ Raz

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p40-compact.html#.VpPiXV9OKnM

While not my favorite supplier they are reputable, not sure but I think they charge you a 3% CC Fee but that is still the best deal I know of right now.
It said, "No thumb safety."  Is there a safety on it..?
An external safety makes sense on a single-action semiauto pistol, or a semiauto with a hammer.  On a striker-fired semiauto pistol, an external safety is window-dressing, akin to putting a safety on a double-action revolver.
I'm really behind on this stuff.

« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »

@ Raz

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p40-compact.html#.VpPiXV9OKnM

While not my favorite supplier they are reputable, not sure but I think they charge you a 3% CC Fee but that is still the best deal I know of right now.
It said, "No thumb safety."  Is there a safety on it..?
An external safety makes sense on a single-action semiauto pistol, or a semiauto with a hammer.  On a striker-fired semiauto pistol, an external safety is window-dressing, akin to putting a safety on a double-action revolver.
I'm really behind on this stuff.
You need to replace that flintlock of yours.

« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

@ Raz

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p40-compact.html#.VpPiXV9OKnM

While not my favorite supplier they are reputable, not sure but I think they charge you a 3% CC Fee but that is still the best deal I know of right now.
It said, "No thumb safety."  Is there a safety on it..?
An external safety makes sense on a single-action semiauto pistol, or a semiauto with a hammer.  On a striker-fired semiauto pistol, an external safety is window-dressing, akin to putting a safety on a double-action revolver.
I'm really behind on this stuff.
That  would put you about 25 years behind. ;)

« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »

@ Raz

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p40-compact.html#.VpPiXV9OKnM

While not my favorite supplier they are reputable, not sure but I think they charge you a 3% CC Fee but that is still the best deal I know of right now.
It said, "No thumb safety."  Is there a safety on it..?
An external safety makes sense on a single-action semiauto pistol, or a semiauto with a hammer.  On a striker-fired semiauto pistol, an external safety is window-dressing, akin to putting a safety on a double-action revolver.
I'm really behind on this stuff.
You need to replace that flintlock of yours.
Or 1911 ;D

« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Plus it don't pay to go look for some more.
13 rigs pulled off the jobs last week in TX alone.
Falling like a rock now, Down $2.19 @ $30.97
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Plus it don't pay to go look for some more.
13 rigs pulled off the jobs last week in TX alone.
Falling like a rock now, Down $2.19 @ $30.97
you can look for more, and even find it, trick is to get the gubmint and eco-peeps to allow you to drill for it.
Oil/gas prices are like investments.  market crashed back in the summer and I (just speaking from personal experience, a few people I spoke with concurred) lost about 5K in my retirement.  market regained all and added to it and I re-gained around 3K.  drop took 2 days, re-gain took 2 months.  recent drop lost me approx 4k.  took 2 days again.  Would be questioning my investment group, but it seems they are not the only ones who are doing this.
Oil works the same.  oil prices go up and price at the pump goes up immediately.  oil prices go down, and it takes weeks for it to reflect.
fact of the matter is I hate them all!     :P

« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »

@ Raz

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p40-compact.html#.VpPiXV9OKnM

While not my favorite supplier they are reputable, not sure but I think they charge you a 3% CC Fee but that is still the best deal I know of right now.
It said, "No thumb safety."  Is there a safety on it..?
An external safety makes sense on a single-action semiauto pistol, or a semiauto with a hammer.  On a striker-fired semiauto pistol, an external safety is window-dressing, akin to putting a safety on a double-action revolver.
I'm really behind on this stuff.
Modern double-action revolvers use some variation on the transfer-bar mechanism, which prevents the hammer from striking the primer on a cartridge unless the trigger is actually pulled through its full cycle. Striker-fired weapons work roughly the same way - you have to cycle the trigger fully for the mechanism to push the striker block out of the way to allow the striker to contact the primer on the cartridge.

Hammer-fired semiauto pistols have such a light trigger pull when cocked that an external safety is intended to prevent some small inadvertent movement of the trigger or dropping of the weapon from tripping the hammer and firing the pistol. Putting a transfer-type system on such pistols is possible, but it tends to make the action sloppy and heavy because of the need to move the hammer. So positive safeties and decocker systems are used instead.

But a striker pistol doesn't have to move all the mass of a hammer, so a smooth action and a manageable trigger pull can be built without the possibility of an unintended mechanical event firing the weapon.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Which is why OPEC is willing to loose money and drive the prices down to punish the upstart US market.
When I was a kid, it was called a gas war.  It drove the gas down to an affordable price, and the American Public loved it.  When I filled up the other day, a woman bought $2 worth of gas, and a guy bought $1.76.  I'm sure they are hoping that gas goes back up to $145 a barrel.

« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »

[...]

Yeah!

« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:38 PM »

I've got gas!

« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »

[...]

I agree with your last sentence other than Oil pays a lots of bills around my house, even buys me some cigars for birthdays and fathers days so I hate them all but one! :)

But while they both go up and down and sometimes way up and way down oil is otherwise quite different.  Oil has to be found and produced which is a lengthy process and when prices do like this they quit finding and seriously cut back on producing which is a major undertaking, it is called "shutting in" and is time consuming and very costly in itself so or short term downsides they keep on drilling and producing but for long term or extreme downsides they start shutting in existing wells, stopping drilling on new wells and stop looking and leasing for future wells.  Below $30 for very long and all that will occur which means when the low supply begins to take over it goes ape shit crazy up again because it takes a long time to bring everything back on line.

Older conventional oil costs about $25-30/barrel to produce, newer conventional oil more like $35-45 and Shale oil is more along the lines of $65 to $75.  Deep sea oil is more like $80-90 to produce.  So do the math and see what happens at under $30 for very long, either the supply goes down and the price goes up quick or the companies go broke which is what OPEC is counting on but they might be the first to go broke as they are having to borrow in the bond markets now.

« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »

I've got gas!
Well it is worth about $2.45/mcf so sell it even though it cost far more than that to produce.

« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Which is why OPEC is willing to loose money and drive the prices down to punish the upstart US market.
When I was a kid, it was called a gas war.  It drove the gas down to an affordable price, and the American Public loved it.  When I filled up the other day, a woman bought $2 worth of gas, and a guy bought $1.76.  I'm sure they are hoping that gas goes back up to $145 a barrel.
Those gas wars were retailers playing games not oil drillers and producers, had virtually nothing to do with the price of oil.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Which is why OPEC is willing to loose money and drive the prices down to punish the upstart US market.
When I was a kid, it was called a gas war.  It drove the gas down to an affordable price, and the American Public loved it.  When I filled up the other day, a woman bought $2 worth of gas, and a guy bought $1.76.  I'm sure they are hoping that gas goes back up to $145 a barrel.
Those gas wars were retailers playing games not oil drillers and producers, had virtually nothing to do with the price of oil.
when I grouse about the way oil pricing is handled, it's not at the workers, producers or gas station owners.  it's the leaders of the major companies that make all of the money and screw all of us to do it.  the same people screwing their own workers I might add and taking home millions of dollars in "bonuses" while complaining that they can't make any money in the industry.