Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 01:35:31 AM »

1970, British trade commissioner James Richard Cross was kidnapped in Canada by militant Quebec separatists; he was released the following December.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 01:35:57 AM »

In 1988, Democrat Lloyd Bentsen lambasted Republican Dan Quayle during their vice-presidential debate, telling Quayle, "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:37 AM »

In 1989, a jury in Charlotte, North Carolina, convicted former PTL evangelist Jim Bakker (BAY'-kur) of using his television show to defraud followers. (Although initially sentenced to 45 years in prison, Bakker was freed in December 1994 after serving 4 1/2 years.) The Dalai Lama, the spiritual and temporal leader of Tibet, was named winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 01:37:05 AM »

1994, 48 people were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide carried out simultaneously in two Swiss villages by members of a secret religious doomsday cult known as the Order of the Solar Temple; five other bodies were found the same week in a building owned by the sect near Montreal, Canada.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 01:37:30 AM »

In 1999, two packed commuter trains collided near London's Paddington Station, killing 31 people.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:03 AM »

Ten years ago: Vice President Dick Cheney and Democratic rival John Edwards slugged it out over Iraq, jobs and each other's judgment in their one and only debate of the 2004 campaign. Americans' supply of flu vaccine was abruptly cut in half as British regulators unexpectedly shut down Chiron Corp., a major supplier. Americans David Gross, H. David Politzer and Frank Wilczeck won the Nobel Prize in physics. Tiger Woods married Swedish model Elin Nordegren (EE'-lihn NOHRD'-grihn) in Barbados (the couple divorced in 2010). Comedian Rodney Dangerfield died in Los Angeles at age 82.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »

Five years ago: President Barack Obama filled the Rose Garden with doctors supportive of his health care overhaul, saying "nobody has more credibility with the American people on this issue than you do." Americans Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Carol W. Greider and Jack W. Szostak won the 2009 Nobel Prize in medicine. A suicide bomber blew himself up in the lobby of the U.N. food agency in Islamabad, killing five staffers.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 01:39:13 AM »

One year ago: In a stealthy seaside assault in Somalia and in a raid in Libya's capital, U.S. military forces struck out against Islamic extremists who had carried out terrorist attacks in East Africa, snatching Abu Anas al-Libi, allegedly involved in the bombings of U.S. embassies 15 years earlier. (Al-Libi has since pleaded not guilty to the embassy bombings.) A monster truck went out of control at an "Extreme Aeroshow" in Chihuahua, Mexico, killing eight people and injuring ten times as many. Wladimir Klitschko (VLAD'-uh-meer KLICH'-koh) retained his WBA and IBF heavyweight titles, unanimously outpointing previously undefeated Alexander Povetkin in Moscow.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 01:40:01 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Actress Glynis Johns is 91. Comedian Bill Dana is 90. Actor Peter Brown is 79. College Football Hall of Fame coach Barry Switzer is 77. Rhythm-and-blues singer Arlene Smith (The Chantels) is 73. Singer-musician Steve Miller is 71. Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin, D-Md., is 71. Rock singer Brian Johnson (AC/DC) is 67. Actress Karen Allen is 63. Writer-producer-director Clive Barker is 62. Rock musician David Bryson (Counting Crows) is 60. Rock singer and famine-relief organizer Bob Geldof is 60. Designer Maya Lin is 55. Actor Daniel Baldwin is 54. Rock singer-musician Dave Dederer is 50. Hockey Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux is 49. Actor Guy Pearce is 47. Actress Josie Bissett is 44. Singer-actress Heather Headley is 40. Pop-rock singer Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) is 40. Rock musician Brian Mashburn (Save Ferris) is 39. Actress Parminder Nagra (pahr-MIHN'-da NAH'grah) is 39. Actor Scott Weinger is 39. Actress Kate Winslet is 39. Rock musician James Valentine (Maroon 5) is 36. Rock musician Paul Thomas (Good Charlotte) is 34. Actor Jesse Eisenberg is 31. TV personality Nicky Hilton is 31. Actress Azure Parsons is 30. Rhythm-and-blues singer Brooke Valentine is 29. Actor Kevin Bigley is 28. Actor Joshua Logan Moore is 20.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 01:40:42 AM »

Thought for Today: "The usefulness of a meeting is in inverse proportion to the attendance." — Lane Kirkland, American labor leader (1922-1999).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 01:44:15 AM »

Farmer Joe's Favorite Mule
-------------------------

Farmer Joe decided his injuries from the accident were serious enough to
take the trucking company, responsible for the accident, to court.
In court, the trucking company's fancy lawyer was questioning Farmer
Joe. "Didn't you say, 'I'm fine', at the scene of the accident?" asked the
lawyer.

Farmer Joe responded, "Well, I'll tell you what happened. I had just
loaded my favorite mule Bessie into the..."

"I didn't ask for a long, drawn-out story," the lawyer interrupted,
"just answer the question. Did you not say, at the scene of the accident,
'I'm fine'!"

Farmer Joe said, "Well, I had just got Bessie into the trailer and I
was driving down the road..."

The lawyer interrupted again and said, "Judge, I am trying to establish
the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the Highway
Patrolman on the scene that he was just fine. Now, several weeks after
the accident, he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud.
Please tell him to simply answer the question."

By this time the Judge was fairly interested in Farmer Joe's answer and
said to the lawyer, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about his
favorite mule Bessie."

Joe thanked the Judge and proceeded, "Well, as I was saying, I had just
loaded Bessie, my favorite mule, into the trailer and was driving her
down the highway when this huge semi-truck and trailer ran the stop sign and
smacked my truck right in the side."

He continued, "I was thrown into one ditch and Bessie was thrown into
the other. I was hurting real bad and didn't want to move. However, I could
hear ole Bessie moaning and groaning. I knew she was in terrible shape
just by her groans.

Shortly after the accident a Highway Patrolman came on the scene. He
could hear Bessie moaning and groaning so he went over to her. After he
looked at her, he took out his gun and shot her between the eyes. Then, he
came across the road with his gun in his hand, looked at me and said, 'Your
mule was in such bad shape I had to shoot her. How are you feeling?'"

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 02:48:32 AM »

Time for a sheesh and also time to hit the road for work guys, enjoy your day.
Logged

IrascibleOldFool

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 03:03:25 AM »

Time for a sheesh and also time to hit the road for work guys, enjoy your day.
Take care Chip!
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/5/2015
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 06:10:26 AM »

Time for about 3 more sheesh's!

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 06:46:19 AM »

Morning Chip!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10