Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2024, 03:39:56 PM »

The puzzle was easy, but I still have no idea what the title clue means. Is it slang for "That's capital!"? Beats hell out of me.

Strands #53
“That’s cap!”
🟡

Originally, I was thinking it had to do with teenage slang. But have you never heard cap, as in ballcap?
I know what a cap is. But I have never heard or read anyone say, "That's cap!" I don't know what that means.
It means that it is a lie. My stupid kids use it all the time.
Apparently, the term dates at least to the 1940s and a game that originated among African-Americans called "The Dozens" in which two players exchange insults until one gives up.  Each are trying to outdo the other and shut them up, so the game is often referred to as "capping."

The term "bust a cap" also originates in this game, and is not, as I'd always assumed, a reference to toy guns that detonated paper or plastic caps.  Killing someone with a firearm shuts them up - caps them - permanently.

Like I said, something new every day.

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2024, 03:43:05 PM »

The puzzle was easy, but I still have no idea what the title clue means. Is it slang for "That's capital!"? Beats hell out of me.

Strands #53
“That’s cap!”
🟡

Originally, I was thinking it had to do with teenage slang. But have you never heard cap, as in ballcap?
I know what a cap is. But I have never heard or read anyone say, "That's cap!" I don't know what that means.
It means that it is a lie. My stupid kids use it all the time.
Apparently, the term dates at least to the 1940s and a game called "The Dozens" in which two players exchange insults until one gives up.  Each are trying to outdo the other and shut them up, so the game is often referred to as "capping."

The term "bust a cap" also originates in this game, and is not, as I'd always assumed, a reference to toy guns that detonated paper or plastic caps.  Killing someone with a firearm shuts them up - caps them - permanently.

Like I said, something new every day.
Interesting stuff.

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2024, 03:53:16 PM »

[...]

It's not clear exactly how the term morphed from "dominance" to "dishonesty," but because winning at The Dozens requires increasingly extravagant insults that ultimately bear little correlation to reality, it's not hard to guess.

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2024, 05:13:03 PM »

Good evening.

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2024, 10:47:06 PM »

Chilly today versus yesterday's 70°. And we have a baseball game this evening.

It was a cold one, as expected. We lost 5-10 after 6 1/2 innings of play.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]