jswaykos

« Reply #390 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »

Steve gunned down the banter
Indeed.  Just a little while longer before I start avoiding the internet because of the soccer game...

Avoiding... sounds harsh. No beer run today?

Not today.  I brought a few beers back from Florida that I can't get locally.  I'll reload before the weekend, though!

Do tell... and is it true that FL has lower alcohol% in their beer?

I got some Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai (7.5% ABV) and some Cuban-Style Espresso Brown Ale (also from Cigar City) which was somewhere in the mid 5% ABV.  So I guess I can't say that there is a lower alcohol percentage there.  That concept sounds vaguely familiar but I can't say I've ever seen it in person anywhere.  Maybe one of those Mormon states?

Both beers were OK but didn't stand out over anything I've had here.
I'm going to FL (west coast) in Late Oct/Early Nov so I'll check for beers there, will be interesting being I was never really looking before

I would recommend doing just a little research before you go.  There were a few times when I was at a bar and didn't know if something was craft/local or just some random shitty beer I'd never heard of before.  Had some stuff from Magic Hat that was alright, but if I recall they're from Vermont or New York or somewhere up there.  Nothing bad about the few I had from them but they were "poor man's Ballast Point" with some of the styles I tried.
Vermont magic hat #9 some of the best stuff in a bottle.
they had some big bottle of Arrogant Bastard, in the store downstairs...

I definitely had the Magic Hat No. 9.  It was good, just didn't stand out over the sea of IPAs to choose from out here is all.  I think the other I tried from them was "Dream Machine", an IPL.  Wasn't terrible but I prefer the IPLs from Ballast Point is all.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #391 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »

Steve gunned down the banter
Indeed.  Just a little while longer before I start avoiding the internet because of the soccer game...

Avoiding... sounds harsh. No beer run today?

Not today.  I brought a few beers back from Florida that I can't get locally.  I'll reload before the weekend, though!

Do tell... and is it true that FL has lower alcohol% in their beer?

I got some Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai (7.5% ABV) and some Cuban-Style Espresso Brown Ale (also from Cigar City) which was somewhere in the mid 5% ABV.  So I guess I can't say that there is a lower alcohol percentage there.  That concept sounds vaguely familiar but I can't say I've ever seen it in person anywhere.  Maybe one of those Mormon states?

Both beers were OK but didn't stand out over anything I've had here.

Some states have different rules and regulations regarding what can be called beer as in regards to ABV (and classifications of lager vs. ale, etc.  Really pointless bureaucratic rules to ensure the expanding bureaucracy's expansion continues and so on).

Texas, I believe, has the TABC which forces anything above 4% to sold as an Ale and anything below as a Beer and they restrict various terms like "strong" or "pale" and whatnot.  As a result, some beers get made differently on a regional basis.

It happens all the time on the global platform.  Guinness is supposed to vary quite a bit, depending on what country you order it in.  But that's just the company catering towards a country's regulations or "national tastes."

Sounds about right. That's why I wasn't quick to call BS, because anything is possible if the gubment is involved.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #392 on: July 01, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »

Oh, and it also goes towards where you buy the beer.  A number of states have ABV caps on what can be sold in gas stations and supermarkets (3%) as opposed to a regular liquor store.  So that's also where the lower ABV stuff comes from.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #393 on: July 01, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

[...]

Interesting list of 'coffee's here. Looks like you've nailed down the #9 and #10. Looks like they really liked the VaS also. Have you had the Founder's Breakfast Stout. That's PFG! I can't compare to the VaS since it's another I haven't sampled.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/08/14/10-coffee-beers-pull-serious-double-duty

I always forget about AleSmith Speedway Stout, I really like that one, too.  Victory at Sea would still be my favorite that I've had.  Coronado Brewing Company does a coffee stout that I actually think is as good as the Cigar City from that list.  Not quite as rich as the VaS or Speedway, though.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #394 on: July 01, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

Steve gunned down the banter
Indeed.  Just a little while longer before I start avoiding the internet because of the soccer game...

Avoiding... sounds harsh. No beer run today?

Not today.  I brought a few beers back from Florida that I can't get locally.  I'll reload before the weekend, though!

Do tell... and is it true that FL has lower alcohol% in their beer?

I got some Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai (7.5% ABV) and some Cuban-Style Espresso Brown Ale (also from Cigar City) which was somewhere in the mid 5% ABV.  So I guess I can't say that there is a lower alcohol percentage there.  That concept sounds vaguely familiar but I can't say I've ever seen it in person anywhere.  Maybe one of those Mormon states?

Both beers were OK but didn't stand out over anything I've had here.

Ah. I see you still have a taste for the coffee flavored with the Espresso selection. Did you ever give your impression of the ST Mokah? Can't remember if you did. I tried it and thought it was okay, but didn't measure up to the Creme Brulee... and forget the Choklat, Scott's drinking every last one of those. I don't think there's a dusty bottle left in the state til Fall.

I think I heard the alcohol thing when a friend came back from vacationing. Said something along the lines of large production beer, like Bud, had less alcohol% than a 12pk he bought in GA. Wasn't sure if he was just pulling my leg or not. Guess I could Snopes it, but it's still Bud so...

I haven't had the Mokah.  Creme Brulee was OK but WAY too sweet for me.  It's something I could share with one or two others but that's about it.  Choklat... mmmm... one of my favorites even though I've only had the one bottle.  Currently in talks with Scott to acquire more of them.

Coffee is still my overall favorite profile, though.
The Ckok has shown no real signs of running out yet, the Mokah is harder to find but I could send you one if interested

If you're gonna be boxing stuff up anyway...  I can send you another shipping label ;)

« Reply #395 on: July 01, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »

Oh, and it also goes towards where you buy the beer.  A number of states have ABV caps on what can be sold in gas stations and supermarkets (3%) as opposed to a regular liquor store.  So that's also where the lower ABV stuff comes from.
Agreed...that's where I see the discrepancies mostly.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #396 on: July 01, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

I like how a little beer talk can spark up a couple pages of banter if it's floundering.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #397 on: July 01, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

I like how a little beer talk can spark up a couple pages of banter if it's floundering.

I bottled an IPA and brewed my potentially first annual Xmas ale yesterday.

« Reply #398 on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

I like how a little beer talk can spark up a couple pages of banter if it's floundering.
BACK TO CIGARS!
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #399 on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »

I like how a little beer talk can spark up a couple pages of banter if it's floundering.

I bottled an IPA and brewed my potentially first annual Xmas ale yesterday.

Like all things beer, it might end up being an annual production that occurs once every two months, if it is good enough that I drink it that often.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #400 on: July 01, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »

Alrighty, fellas. Time to head out. I have to intercept the package from surepost today. Last weeks deliveries made for a big frowny face by the mrs. My plan this week is to conceal and/or deny... lol.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #401 on: July 01, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »

Alrighty, fellas. Time to head out. I have to intercept the package from surepost today. Last weeks deliveries made for a big frowny face by the mrs. My plan this week is to conceal and/or deny... lol.

Have a great evening.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 7/1/2014
« Reply #402 on: July 01, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »

Alrighty, fellas. Time to head out. I have to intercept the package from surepost today. Last weeks deliveries made for a big frowny face by the mrs. My plan this week is to conceal and/or deny... lol.
See ya, Steve.

« Reply #403 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »

Alrighty, fellas. Time to head out. I have to intercept the package from surepost today. Last weeks deliveries made for a big frowny face by the mrs. My plan this week is to conceal and/or deny... lol.
Peace out!
Logged

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #404 on: July 01, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »

Just lit a La Bomba Napalm, need to choose a beverage
Water. You're supposed to be working, mister.

Liquor! Some kind of mixed cocktail will do.  ;D
not wine?