« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Man, are you in trouble...

I know, right!?!

Not to mention i picked up a couple bombers while I was there as well. Lagunitas Coffee Imperial Stout, Abita Macchiato Milk Stout and a ST Creme Brulee.
We might as well practice right now, so you have an early start:

"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..."

« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »

Talking about Scotch now, must mean it's quittin' time. Hazzuh!

« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

Talking about Scotch now, must mean it's quittin' time. Hazzuh!
Later Golf, enjoy your evening.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
The Macallan 12 is an outstanding scotch despite it's popularity, that was a great buy. Lagavulin is nearly double the price

He initially handed me the 15 year.... That was $100 as well.  :o

« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Man, are you in trouble...

I know, right!?!

Not to mention i picked up a couple bombers while I was there as well. Lagunitas Coffee Imperial Stout, Abita Macchiato Milk Stout and a ST Creme Brulee.
I drank the Laguanitas Cappuccino Stout on Friday night when I met my friends for drinks, it was very good on tap
Got a couple of bottles of Lagunitas Sucks....think that will be on tap when I get home.  Have you tried the Terrapin Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout?  Very smooth and not near as silly or artificial as the name implies
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Needless to say, I liked the smoky flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...
The down side to Lag (which is about the only single malt I drink anymore) is there is no substitute or even close second when it comes to that nice bright smoke flavor.  Used to drink Tallisker some but hell it is not that much cheaper than Lag anymore.

Yep. I've already been told that if I like the smoke in that, nothing is really going to touch it. Basically saying it's the 'pinnacle'. Guess I have to check my Costco now... I am still going to try the Speyburn though. Said he have it in by Friday!
Very debatable statements.

Which? There is a lot of opinion there, for sure.
Laga being the best.  IMO it's not even the best peated Diageo brand.  Caol Ila is solid.

Not taking anything as gospel. Just getting as much information as I can to help make an informed decision of the ones I'd like to try... then go from there.

« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »

[...]

I brought home a dozen Holy City Brewing Pluff Mud Porters from SC if I ever feel like drinking and smoking again.  Good Stuff.  Also brought an assortment of those Georgia Sweetwater brews which can be found in a lot of the country but not here.

« Reply #322 on: March 30, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »

[...]

That is the way to do it cause there are all sorts of different things to fit everyones tastes!
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
The Macallan 12 is an outstanding scotch despite it's popularity, that was a great buy. Lagavulin is nearly double the price
Just as Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are usually overlooked at ordinary.  Both fine (even if not exceptional) in my book.

He shared a sales fact when I asked about the 'Glens'...

Supposedly Glenlivet is a bigger seller in America, and Glenfiddich is a bigger seller worldwide.

Also, being a store owner, everything has it's place. Like the ONLY Lavavulin he stocks is the 16 year... cause that's what people buy... shelf space has a premium.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #324 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »

Fvckin meeting... bbl

« Reply #325 on: March 30, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »

[...]

You should have some big-ass stores there to select from.

« Reply #326 on: March 30, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »

[...]

Ah yes, the Fine Oak, awesome. I'd take it over Lagavulin any day but that's my taste

« Reply #327 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »

21 Acid Kuba Kuba Robusto (5.0 x 54)
           5/24.50
20 Joya de Nicaragua Red  Toro (6.0 x 52)
          10/34.99
19 PDR 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Toro
          5/19.50
18 Man O' War Ruination Corona (5.0"x42)
         10/34.99
17 The Reckoning by Oliva Robusto (5.0"x52)
         10/37.60
16 Padron No. 88 Sampler Maduro
          5/37.10
15 Cabaiguan Guapos RX Robusto Extra
          5/32.50
14 Victor Sinclair Serie '55' Imperial Maduro Toro
         10/25.00
13 Ramon Bueso Odyssey Toro (6.0"x50)
         10/32.50
11 La Historia by E.P. Carrillo
          5/29.99
10 Oliva Serie 'G' Toro (6.0"x50)
         10/32.50
 9 5 Vegas Limitada TENTH Belicoso (6.0"x52)
          5/27.50
 8 Don Pepin Garcia Legado de Pepin Toro
         10/37.50
 7 CAO Extreme Toro (6.0"x52)
          5/21.50
 6 CLE Cuarenta Robusto (5.0"x50)
         10/29.99
 5 Tatuaje Tattoo Caballero (5.0"x50)
          5/19.99
 4 Gurkha Hudson Bay Torpedo (6.0"x52)
         10/27.60
 3 Nica Rustica by Drew Estate
          5/25.00
 2 Relic
         10/37.50
 1 La Palina Classic
          5/32.50

« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »

[...]

I have not, been drinking the VaS every chance I get. Had the growler on Saturday night, outstanding. I may have overdone it a bit

« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »

[...]

Exactly, just as somebody is going to buy these Kuba Kuba's....