CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42

Author Topic: 6/10/2014  (Read 119159 times)

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
Re: 6/10/2014
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »

Morning, all.  Everyone's busy working here this morning, sheesh.  The day just started, pace yourselves.

Morning, Joe.

So go ahead and ease in. We're waiting to see if you even made it to the whiskey tasting or not....

It's tonight.  Tasting at 7pm.  My class starts at 6:30 and runs for a good two hours.  Doubtful that I'll get to the event.
Don't want to go skipping class first semester.
Pretty much!  I could.  There are of course ways to still get credit for it.  But I'd catch absolute HELL from the wife, haha.  Not worth it, yet.
There's a motivator you can't ignore.
Yep.  And it's something we talked about before I started with school.  It comes before whiskey and cigars.  It hasn't been long yet but the adjustment has been crazy.  For now, she's been good enough to let me just go outside while she entertains the kids so I can relax with a smoke while I've got some 'down' time on weekends.  Giving credit where credit is due.  Smoking during the online lectures is fun, too.
Where being drunk during class is almost ok... :)
Morning CabiWacky!
Morning, Shaun.  Tough going back to school after graduating 9 years ago.  I 'know' that the textbook stuff is nice and all, and necessary to get through, but ultimately things are much different in the 'real world'.  Textbook knowledge is great, but you need practical knowledge. And you get practical knowledge by DOING it, not reading about it.  But you have to read about it before someone will pay you to do it.

Sheesh.

But none of this is meant to be a complaint, despite it being Tuesday.  It was my decision to go back to school so I'm not sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

Completely agree...nothing better than real world experience.  Still surprises me we allow advanced degrees, Masters, Doc, etc, without real world experience...but that's another topic for another day :) 

I have tangled with the idea of going back many times(wife is also, and planning kids, etc), just need to finalize what I want to go back for, but something is better than nothing!

Kinda funny how that works, isn't it?  Ideally, I'll end up with a Master of Accountancy in a year and a half or so.  Probably a little shorter than that.  But all that'll qualify me for is entry level accountant work.  Granted, I couldn't get that without a degree (undergrad is something unrelated), and my ceiling will be much higher afterward, but the degree alone doesn't really mean shit.

Sitting for the CPA exam requires work experience, though.  But that's getting a little ahead of myself.

My wife has also started her 'class work' to work towards her license for social work, as she already has her Masters. I guess a license there is a rough equivalent of a doctorate.  Not the 'same', but she could then do therapy and have her own practice, diagnose stuff (as a psychologist), etc.  That process definitely does involve her work experience, though. 

So we never see each other these days, haha.  May as well just get it over with all at once.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »

Holy post whores, Batman!  I leave you guys for a little bit to attend to a crises and this is what you do?

Crisis? What, did they run out of sweet 'n low in the breakroom?!?
Ran out of tp mid-shit...but if you attended the crisis, maybe helping out another colleague with the same issue? :P

Maybe the vending machine was out of Doritos. I mean, it is almost lunch time.
Doritos or chocolate...I think we are getting warmer

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »

Morning, all.  Everyone's busy working here this morning, sheesh.  The day just started, pace yourselves.

Morning, Joe.

So go ahead and ease in. We're waiting to see if you even made it to the whiskey tasting or not....

It's tonight.  Tasting at 7pm.  My class starts at 6:30 and runs for a good two hours.  Doubtful that I'll get to the event.
Pretty much!  I could.  There are of course ways to still get credit for it.  But I'd catch absolute HELL from the wife, haha.  Not worth it, yet.
Yep.  And it's something we talked about before I started with school.  It comes before whiskey and cigars.  It hasn't been long yet but the adjustment has been crazy.  For now, she's been good enough to let me just go outside while she entertains the kids so I can relax with a smoke while I've got some 'down' time on weekends.  Giving credit where credit is due.  Smoking during the online lectures is fun, too.
Morning CabiWacky!
Morning, Shaun.  Tough going back to school after graduating 9 years ago.  I 'know' that the textbook stuff is nice and all, and necessary to get through, but ultimately things are much different in the 'real world'.  Textbook knowledge is great, but you need practical knowledge. And you get practical knowledge by DOING it, not reading about it.  But you have to read about it before someone will pay you to do it.

Sheesh.

But none of this is meant to be a complaint, despite it being Tuesday.  It was my decision to go back to school so I'm not sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

Completely agree...nothing better than real world experience.  Still surprises me we allow advanced degrees, Masters, Doc, etc, without real world experience...but that's another topic for another day :) 

I have tangled with the idea of going back many times(wife is also, and planning kids, etc), just need to finalize what I want to go back for, but something is better than nothing!

Kinda funny how that works, isn't it?  Ideally, I'll end up with a Master of Accountancy in a year and a half or so.  Probably a little shorter than that.  But all that'll qualify me for is entry level accountant work.  Granted, I couldn't get that without a degree (undergrad is something unrelated), and my ceiling will be much higher afterward, but the degree alone doesn't really mean shit.

Sitting for the CPA exam requires work experience, though.  But that's getting a little ahead of myself.

My wife has also started her 'class work' to work towards her license for social work, as she already has her Masters. I guess a license there is a rough equivalent of a doctorate.  Not the 'same', but she could then do therapy and have her own practice, diagnose stuff (as a psychologist), etc.  That process definitely does involve her work experience, though. 

So we never see each other these days, haha.  May as well just get it over with all at once.
That's awesome Joe! I had 2 roomies in college that are now CPAs, the best man at my wedding, etc...many friends...good field to be in. 
Good job with the wife too! 
Alli is trying to decide if she want to be a Midwife or a Nurse Practitioner in Woman's Health...she sure loves babies and being in Labor & Delivery right now, hard to change when you love what you do and the bills are getting paid!

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »

Morning, Joe.

Morning CabiWacky!

Sheesh.

Joe, what percentage of the course is actual classroom?

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »

Morning, Joe.

Morning CabiWacky!

Sheesh.

Joe, what percentage of the course is actual classroom?
It could all be in classroom if I chose.  This particular program happens to be both online and in class.  I can pick from one class to the next.  Taking this first one online but it's kind of intense this way. Down the road I may go in person and just try to reduce hours here at work. It'd suck taking a blow to the paycheck but whatever.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

hello Boys, had to take the 2001 Buick regal in for service this morning.  Damn Oil pressure Sender needs to be changed once a year on the damn car.  I find out it is due for a change, from the oil stain on the street, and the low oil light.  they wanted to do $1,800.00 worth of service a cracked sway bar,  CV bushings, but i said will it last me another 6 weeks, I'm trading it in for a new car.  they agreed it would, and it cost me $34 for an oil change.  they even got rid of the low coolant warning, i get when the seasons change (put the orange stuff in the reservoir). was able to make the 9:58 train (ok, I went for challah french toast at the diner).  so it's a kinda good day.   

dwgbryant

« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »

sorry guys, was finishing up the mowing at camp. the ex President wanted me to wait for it to dry out more. told him it was plenty dry for me and if do it now I wiuldn't get a chance until next week. so fuck you. wacking weeds next, after an Oliva O and coffee.
Afternoon, Dean. I think you're supposed to smoke AFTER you wack.
Just as long as you don't try to do it during. Seems like that would sting a bit.

I smoked and wacked. now I done until golf at 4pm.
just sitting on my ass.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »

Another school shooting, this time in OR. Sheesh. At least no deaths reported yet.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2014, 12:15:11 PM »

sorry guys, was finishing up the mowing at camp. the ex President wanted me to wait for it to dry out more. told him it was plenty dry for me and if do it now I wiuldn't get a chance until next week. so fuck you. wacking weeds next, after an Oliva O and coffee.
right, you tell them Dean, enjoy your caffeine & nicotine break.

dwgbryant

« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »

Another school shooting, this time in OR. Sheesh. At least no deaths reported yet.

Christ, can't kids just kick the shit out of each other and be done with like I use to do in my day?

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »

Sheesh is right.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »

Christ, can't kids just kick the shit out of each other and be done with like I use to do in my day?

That's what I was thinking.

Whatever happened to fist fights? A couple swings, roll around in the dirt a couple minutes and end up with a black eye or a bloody lip. OVER!

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back