CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: 10/30/2014  (Read 33858 times)

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #240 on: October 30, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.
Agreed, it's almost 'too simple to be true' but it sounds like it has some solid thoughts behind it.  Even if it remotely works and doesn't screw up the whiskey flavors it still might be cool.  It would be great for the 'this could use a little more maple/smoke/caramel/vanilla/etc' person who just wants to fine tune a favorite or give it a different twist.
It seems to be roughly the same logic behind putting whiskey barrels on cargo ships to age.  The movement of the ship at sea causes the whiskey to have greater surface contact with the charred sides of the barrel.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  They say it does something good.  I wouldn't know, personally.  So, why not stick some charred oak into a bottle?  Seems logical.  24 hours seems a little quick for it accomplish its work.  But hey, he said he tested it in a lab, so it must be true...
Hahaha...it will be interesting to see.  Lots of whiskey drinkers backing the idea that's for sure.

They'll make as much as the guy who created whiskey stones, which also don't work.  The gimmick/gift market is HUGE.  It's never for the whiskey drinker, it's for the person buying FOR the whiskey drinker.  Same with those mini barrels to make "home made" whiskey, which usually are just vodka and whiskey flavoring.
God whiskey stones are a crock of shit...anyone want mine?
It amazes me that people will go out of their way to buy me these kinds of gimmicks because I'm known to like whiskey.  Wouldn't it be much simpler to just buy me a bottle of whiskey? 

People are stupid.
Sending you both whiskey stones for Christmas, it's settled!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #241 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.
Agreed, it's almost 'too simple to be true' but it sounds like it has some solid thoughts behind it.  Even if it remotely works and doesn't screw up the whiskey flavors it still might be cool.  It would be great for the 'this could use a little more maple/smoke/caramel/vanilla/etc' person who just wants to fine tune a favorite or give it a different twist.
It seems to be roughly the same logic behind putting whiskey barrels on cargo ships to age.  The movement of the ship at sea causes the whiskey to have greater surface contact with the charred sides of the barrel.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  They say it does something good.  I wouldn't know, personally.  So, why not stick some charred oak into a bottle?  Seems logical.  24 hours seems a little quick for it accomplish its work.  But hey, he said he tested it in a lab, so it must be true...
Hahaha...it will be interesting to see.  Lots of whiskey drinkers backing the idea that's for sure.

They'll make as much as the guy who created whiskey stones, which also don't work.  The gimmick/gift market is HUGE.  It's never for the whiskey drinker, it's for the person buying FOR the whiskey drinker.  Same with those mini barrels to make "home made" whiskey, which usually are just vodka and whiskey flavoring.

Read a 'study' in either Whiskey Advocate or Cigar Afficionado... found that the best overall way to chill your whiskey if that's your 'thing' is to chill the glass ahead of time.  Ice makes it too cold and you'll lose flavors, stones don't work at all.
This is why I can tolerate Canadian whiskey only if it's on ice.  The ice kills all the flavors I don't like.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

It amazes me that people will go out of their way to buy me these kinds of gimmicks because I'm known to like whiskey.  Wouldn't it be much simpler to just buy me a bottle of whiskey? 

People are stupid.
I'll send you some kidney stones in return.  You'll love them.

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #243 on: October 30, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

People are stupid.
better off going out and finding some oak sticks and put your lighter to them.  seems like they'll get more use out of them.  just sayin...

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

From the Maker's site, on Maker's 46: 

We age Maker's 46® a bit longer inside barrels containing seared French oak staves. The staves create bolder, more complex flavors — while eliminating the bitterness that usually comes with whiskies that are aged longer.

So it's been done.  And it does taste different than regular Maker's.  Sorry, I don't like artificial tampering with my whiskeys!!!!  To each their own, though.
No peanut butter whiskey! (ok, I'm done)
No pumpkin either!  I may not be done

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

People are stupid.
better off going out and finding some oak sticks and put your lighter to them.  seems like they'll get more use out of them.  just sayin...
Got some and they don't work worth a chit either.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2014, 01:48:30 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

People are stupid.
I'll send you some kidney stones in return.  You'll love them.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

It's about as gimmicky as it gets and I fully expect to get these for my birthday or Christmas from someone, because this is the type of thing a non-whiskey drinker gets the person that loves whiskey.

"Time and Oak" are hardly the only two things separating the good whiskey from the bad, and it's absurd to think that.

Also, this is essentially what Maker's 46 is.  Also, you could lick a piece of wood and then take a sip of whiskey if you want more influence.
"Did someone pour caramel sauce into my whiskey?"
Would a whiskey drinker like to lick my wood?
LMFAO!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

We age Maker's 46® a bit longer inside barrels containing seared French oak staves. The staves create bolder, more complex flavors — while eliminating the bitterness that usually comes with whiskies that are aged longer.

So it's been done.  And it does taste different than regular Maker's.  Sorry, I don't like artificial tampering with my whiskeys!!!!  To each their own, though.

I believe Corsair makes a pumpkin spice whiskey... not trying that one, myself.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #249 on: October 30, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »

Morning, all.
Howdy, Joe.

Morning, Tony.  Kids all ready for Halloween?  What are they going as?
From youngest to oldest... Batman, Robin, Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum, and Sugar Skull.  You?

I've heard of those first two...

Daughter is Elsa, along with every other girl on the planet except yours.  Son is a mailman.
Btw, I've never heard of the other two either.  In fact, I had to google them right before I posted that.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #250 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »

Nasty!  My favorites are whiskey that tastes like Bourbon and whisky that tastes like Lagavulin single malt scotch.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »

Morning, all.
Howdy, Joe.

From youngest to oldest... Batman, Robin, Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum, and Sugar Skull.  You?

Daughter is Elsa, along with every other girl on the planet except yours.  Son is a mailman.
Btw, I've never heard of the other two either.  In fact, I had to google them right before I posted that.
Guess you just ain't cool.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »

Nasty!  My favorites are whiskey that tastes like Bourbon and whisky that tastes like Lagavulin single malt scotch.

Yeah, I'm just not in to the flavored whiskey scene. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

Morning, all.
Howdy, Joe.

Guess you just ain't cool.
No news here.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »

Where did pumpkin head go?   I need to know what the chef has at the cafateria today so I can get ideas about what I might want for lunch.  Fried chicken is sounding kind of good to me.

A place just opened up out here that sells fried chicken and waffle sandwhiches... the waffle is the 'bun'.  Sounds/looks great, just need to make it out there to try one.
Carryover trend menu item from the south...specifically Atlanta area.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22