« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »

Well I am sufficiently hungry after this conversation guess I will walk down the street and find something to eat.

« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

Morning Raz!  Good to see you out and about!
Hiya, Sammy.  Good to be out and about.

« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

Where did pumpkin head go?   I need to know what the chef has at the cafateria today so I can get ideas about what I might want for lunch.  Fried chicken is sounding kind of good to me.

A place just opened up out here that sells fried chicken and waffle sandwhiches... the waffle is the 'bun'.  Sounds/looks great, just need to make it out there to try one.
I luv fried chicken but not any real good places to get it here, unbelievable there is no real southern fried chicken in a city this size.  Popeyes is probably the best here, there is a place downtown here that is out of Memphis and their chicken is decent but not all that great as it is touted to be.  Fried chicken and waffles is an up and coming thing, very  popular in SC and GA.

Don't think I've ever had "real" fried chicken but I've heard good things about this place from trusted sources.
Pretty simple stuff salt & pepper the chicken (no boneless and/or skinless breast stuff) dip in some butter milk and shake it in flour then pan fry but often it is actually deep fried in restaurants because pan frying is labor intensive which is ok.
Big cast-iron pan, and lots of fat.  Traditionally, it should be lard.

I put a little cayenne in the flour.
Correct on cast iron and lard!!!!!   We put a little salt and pepper in the flour but no cayenne for the chicken - just personal taste preferences.
I'm not from the south, just lived there for a couple years and that's where I learned about fryin' yardbirds.  I'm mostly from the southwest, so unsurprisingly like it to have a little spice.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »

Afternoon, fellas. Nice My Father Sampler at the .biz Use code reddit10 and get 10/$44.95 delivered.

Gotta run. Just thought I'd share.  :D

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.ProdShow/vid/40841

See yaz!

« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

[...]

As a kid, I used to help my dad at the American Legion Fried chicken & oyster dinners they had.  rthe chicken was the same as you emtion except we used lemon juice instead of buttermilk and we did use a deep fryer.  Chicken was damned good, but the fried oysters they did were out of this world.  used pancake batter on them  and deep fried them (different cookers for chicken & oysters).
Interesting never heard of the lemon juice technique but sounds good.  I love fried oysters and have had them with the pancake batter and very good.  In LA we always just used cornmeal with a little touch of flour in it or else corn flour (aka fish fry) for them. What part of the country did you grow up in?
North Eastern Shore of MD.  (DelMarVa peninsula )

« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

Afternoon, fellas. Nice My Father Sampler at the .biz Use code reddit10 and get 10/$44.95 delivered.

Gotta run. Just thought I'd share.  :D

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.ProdShow/vid/40841

See yaz!
Later BS.

« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.
Agreed, it's almost 'too simple to be true' but it sounds like it has some solid thoughts behind it.  Even if it remotely works and doesn't screw up the whiskey flavors it still might be cool.  It would be great for the 'this could use a little more maple/smoke/caramel/vanilla/etc' person who just wants to fine tune a favorite or give it a different twist.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »

[...]

It's about as gimmicky as it gets and I fully expect to get these for my birthday or Christmas from someone, because this is the type of thing a non-whiskey drinker gets the person that loves whiskey.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »

[...]

"Time and Oak" are hardly the only two things separating the good whiskey from the bad, and it's absurd to think that.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »

[...]

Also, this is essentially what Maker's 46 is.  Also, you could lick a piece of wood and then take a sip of whiskey if you want more influence.

« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

[...]

"Did someone pour caramel sauce into my whiskey?"
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

[...]

As long as it's not outhouse wood....

« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

[...]

Would a whiskey drinker like to lick my wood?