CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: 10/30/2014  (Read 33859 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 10/30/2014
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »

Well I am sufficiently hungry after this conversation guess I will walk down the street and find something to eat.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

Morning Raz!  Good to see you out and about!
Hiya, Sammy.  Good to be out and about.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

Where did pumpkin head go?   I need to know what the chef has at the cafateria today so I can get ideas about what I might want for lunch.  Fried chicken is sounding kind of good to me.

A place just opened up out here that sells fried chicken and waffle sandwhiches... the waffle is the 'bun'.  Sounds/looks great, just need to make it out there to try one.
I luv fried chicken but not any real good places to get it here, unbelievable there is no real southern fried chicken in a city this size.  Popeyes is probably the best here, there is a place downtown here that is out of Memphis and their chicken is decent but not all that great as it is touted to be.  Fried chicken and waffles is an up and coming thing, very  popular in SC and GA.

Don't think I've ever had "real" fried chicken but I've heard good things about this place from trusted sources.
Pretty simple stuff salt & pepper the chicken (no boneless and/or skinless breast stuff) dip in some butter milk and shake it in flour then pan fry but often it is actually deep fried in restaurants because pan frying is labor intensive which is ok.
Big cast-iron pan, and lots of fat.  Traditionally, it should be lard.

I put a little cayenne in the flour.
Correct on cast iron and lard!!!!!   We put a little salt and pepper in the flour but no cayenne for the chicken - just personal taste preferences.
I'm not from the south, just lived there for a couple years and that's where I learned about fryin' yardbirds.  I'm mostly from the southwest, so unsurprisingly like it to have a little spice.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »

Afternoon, fellas. Nice My Father Sampler at the .biz Use code reddit10 and get 10/$44.95 delivered.

Gotta run. Just thought I'd share.  :D

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.ProdShow/vid/40841

See yaz!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Where did pumpkin head go?   I need to know what the chef has at the cafateria today so I can get ideas about what I might want for lunch.  Fried chicken is sounding kind of good to me.

A place just opened up out here that sells fried chicken and waffle sandwhiches... the waffle is the 'bun'.  Sounds/looks great, just need to make it out there to try one.
I luv fried chicken but not any real good places to get it here, unbelievable there is no real southern fried chicken in a city this size.  Popeyes is probably the best here, there is a place downtown here that is out of Memphis and their chicken is decent but not all that great as it is touted to be.  Fried chicken and waffles is an up and coming thing, very  popular in SC and GA.

Don't think I've ever had "real" fried chicken but I've heard good things about this place from trusted sources.
Pretty simple stuff salt & pepper the chicken (no boneless and/or skinless breast stuff) dip in some butter milk and shake it in flour then pan fry but often it is actually deep fried in restaurants because pan frying is labor intensive which is ok.
As a kid, I used to help my dad at the American Legion Fried chicken & oyster dinners they had.  rthe chicken was the same as you emtion except we used lemon juice instead of buttermilk and we did use a deep fryer.  Chicken was damned good, but the fried oysters they did were out of this world.  used pancake batter on them  and deep fried them (different cookers for chicken & oysters).
Interesting never heard of the lemon juice technique but sounds good.  I love fried oysters and have had them with the pancake batter and very good.  In LA we always just used cornmeal with a little touch of flour in it or else corn flour (aka fish fry) for them. What part of the country did you grow up in?
North Eastern Shore of MD.  (DelMarVa peninsula )

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

Afternoon, fellas. Nice My Father Sampler at the .biz Use code reddit10 and get 10/$44.95 delivered.

Gotta run. Just thought I'd share.  :D

http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.ProdShow/vid/40841

See yaz!
Later BS.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/263766519/whiskey-elements-customize-your-whiskey-in-24-hour
If it lives up to the hype.  I know I'm a contrarian, a curmudgeon, and a skeptic, but humans have been making whiskey for nearly a thousand years (or more than a thousand years, depending on who you believe).  So...no one thought of just sticking some charred oak sticks into the barrel before?

The real magic in whiskey starts with the grains and the malting process. So I'm kinda skeptical.  But hey, I'll try anything once.
Agreed, it's almost 'too simple to be true' but it sounds like it has some solid thoughts behind it.  Even if it remotely works and doesn't screw up the whiskey flavors it still might be cool.  It would be great for the 'this could use a little more maple/smoke/caramel/vanilla/etc' person who just wants to fine tune a favorite or give it a different twist.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

Agreed, it's almost 'too simple to be true' but it sounds like it has some solid thoughts behind it.  Even if it remotely works and doesn't screw up the whiskey flavors it still might be cool.  It would be great for the 'this could use a little more maple/smoke/caramel/vanilla/etc' person who just wants to fine tune a favorite or give it a different twist.

It's about as gimmicky as it gets and I fully expect to get these for my birthday or Christmas from someone, because this is the type of thing a non-whiskey drinker gets the person that loves whiskey.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

It's about as gimmicky as it gets and I fully expect to get these for my birthday or Christmas from someone, because this is the type of thing a non-whiskey drinker gets the person that loves whiskey.

"Time and Oak" are hardly the only two things separating the good whiskey from the bad, and it's absurd to think that.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

"Time and Oak" are hardly the only two things separating the good whiskey from the bad, and it's absurd to think that.

Also, this is essentially what Maker's 46 is.  Also, you could lick a piece of wood and then take a sip of whiskey if you want more influence. 

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

Also, this is essentially what Maker's 46 is.  Also, you could lick a piece of wood and then take a sip of whiskey if you want more influence.
"Did someone pour caramel sauce into my whiskey?"

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

As long as it's not outhouse wood....

sfish

« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Pretty fucking sweet...

"Did someone pour caramel sauce into my whiskey?"
Would a whiskey drinker like to lick my wood?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22