BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 10/21/2014
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

Belching Beaver just put out a pumpkin spice milk stout, I'll have to try that one.  ABV is a bit too low with their offerings for my liking but their PB stout had a nice flavor profile.

Not that I'm a big pumpkin fan, but the Heavy Seas - The GreatER Pumpkin was rather good. Not as overpowering in the flavor dept as the PumKing... which, I think I'd like the PumKing more if it wasn't for the clove. Not a flavor I particularly care for.

« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »

Tell Joe I said hi.  Off to more meetings.
Good, catch up on your sleep.

« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »

Morning, all.

Beer recap... in the past four days or so I've had an Epic Brewing "Fermentation without Representation" Imperial Pumpkin porter.  Wasn't very pumpkiny.  Victory at Sea on draft at the brewery and it was far and away the best it's ever tasted.  Grapefruit Sculpin at the brewery, also amazing. Calico Amber Ale with Peanuts and Cocoa Nibs, also at the brewery,  and it wasn't the "Ballast Point Peanut Butter" I was hoping for.  No real peanut OR chocolate taste.  Finally, a Coronado Brewing "Punk'in Drublic... another pumpkin beer.  This is the best locally available pumpkin beer, IMO.  Similar to Pumking, just not quite as over the top.

Figured I'd get that out of the way.
Good mornin Joe!

Hey there, Shaun. Also smoked some cigars, maybe I should've started there and eased everyone in to the beer talk.  Have had a bunch lately but the one that kinda stands out is the Room 101 Serie HN.  Really tasty, seems like it kinda flies under the radar among everything else in the brand.
I was just talking with Andy and Mike the other day as Mike was smoking the Big Delish and we all concluded we have very limited Room 101 experience- just a brand I never really look to for cigars...but I have never been disappointed with their cigars...
I generally enjoy them, some not so much. Namakubi at the top of the food chain, followed by Master Collection 1 & 2 (1 getting hard to find). San Andres, HN and Daruma Gold all interesting smokes, followed by the Conjura then Big Payback.  Only one I don't like is the Daruma.  Papi Chulo is an interesting vitola for all (4x42)  otherwise there are some fairly quirky vitolas for others.

« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

[...]

Like it matters around these parts. Subjects ebb and flow. Only had a few Room 101 offerings. MCII, Namakubi, Daruma gold... Liked them all quite a bit. Been wanting to try the HN and the Payback. Haven't had any of the area code models either.
Area codes are just size connotations for San Andres, HN, Conjura lines...before he started using really bizarre names for the vitolas...
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »

[...]

I think they're (mostly) all very good for the money.  Morning, Dave.

« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »

[...]

Hey JWack  Going to be in Irvine next week....don't think I'll be able to make the drive down however.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »

[...]

Oh well, next time!  That's a bit of a hike from Irvine, especially considering traffic.  We'd have to herf hours before or after rush hour, haha.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 10/21/2014
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

Finally there may be hope for survival!

'NO NEW EBOLA IN 5 DAYS'...

Family works at a hospital in Austin, they have a final test to run on someone today so we may not make it 6 days.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 10/21/2014
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »

Belching Beaver just put out a pumpkin spice milk stout, I'll have to try that one.  ABV is a bit too low with their offerings for my liking but their PB stout had a nice flavor profile.

Not that I'm a big pumpkin fan, but the Heavy Seas - The GreatER Pumpkin was rather good. Not as overpowering in the flavor dept as the PumKing... which, I think I'd like the PumKing more if it wasn't for the clove. Not a flavor I particularly care for.

Odd that this is the only listing, but it seems folks are still using a org. 2010 posting for their ratings. Label is nothing like this anymore.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/898/60505/

Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »

Belching Beaver just put out a pumpkin spice milk stout, I'll have to try that one.  ABV is a bit too low with their offerings for my liking but their PB stout had a nice flavor profile.

Not that I'm a big pumpkin fan, but the Heavy Seas - The GreatER Pumpkin was rather good. Not as overpowering in the flavor dept as the PumKing... which, I think I'd like the PumKing more if it wasn't for the clove. Not a flavor I particularly care for.

Odd that this is the only listing, but it seems folks are still using a org. 2010 posting for their ratings. Label is nothing like this anymore.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/898/60505/

I like the Untappd App a little more for quick reviews since stuff is usually broken down by year/batch if applicable.  But as with cigars and whiskey, I've started to ignore most ratings.  If something sounds interesting I'll try it, so I can avoid any preconceived notions about a beer (or whiskey, or cigar).  Too many times I'm disappointed by something that is supposed to be the best ever, and just as often I really like something that ratings only indicate is an average beer.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 10/21/2014
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »

[...]

I figured you may find some interest since it is a bourbon barrel aged...
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

[...]

Bourbon barrel beers are something that I feel like I'm supposed to really like, but usually I just don't.  The barrel influence is too strong, feels like I'm licking the inside of a whiskey barrel.  Not sure why I don't like it in beer considering how much I love whiskey.  If it's an ale in a bourbon barrel it's OK because the beer itself won't be too sweet, but if it's a stout... gotta drink it sparingly.  I've found a few that have minimal barrel influence, which is nice.  Actually had a bourbon barrel cider over the weekend, too.  Wasn't very bourbon-y at all.  I really don't even like ciders but the wife does.

« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »

Mmmm, bbq chicken for lunch.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »

Mmmm, bbq chicken for lunch.

I forgot my lunch.  Got some whiskey being delivered today so maybe I'll just have that instead.

« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »

Mmmm, bbq chicken for lunch.

I forgot my lunch.  Got some whiskey being delivered today so maybe I'll just have that instead.
Ohh shit...that's not a bad idea!  Class tonight - that could call for a drink after.