Pages: 1 [2] 3

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »

Ten years ago: Despite past differences, President Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton began a summer fundraising blitz with an event in McLean, Virginia. An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.

Five years ago: President Donald Trump marked his 100th day in office with a rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. A white suburban Dallas policeman fired into a moving car carrying five Black teenagers, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards. (Balch Springs officer Roy Oliver would be convicted of murder and sentenced to 15 years in prison.)

One year ago: Brazil became the second country to officially top 400,000 COVID-19 deaths. Police in Los Angeles said the woman who had returned Lady Gaga’s stolen French bulldogs was among five people arrested in connection with the theft and the shooting of the music superstar’s dog walker. The Jacksonville Jaguars made Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence the first pick in the NFL draft; the first three selections were all quarterbacks.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:58 AM »

Morning, muchachos.
Good morning, Bret.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »

It's more lonely here today than usual. Where are the Daves?
Reporting for duty sir.
Good morning, ClemsonDave.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 10:06:12 AM »

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Actor Keith Baxter is 89.
Conductor Zubin Mehta is 86.
Pop singer Bob Miranda (The Happenings) is 80.
Country singer Duane Allen (The Oak Ridge Boys) is 79.
Singer Tommy James is 75.
Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., is 72.
Movie director Phillip Noyce is 72.
Comedian Jerry Seinfeld is 68.
Actor Leslie Jordan is 67.
Actor Kate Mulgrew is 67.
Actor Daniel Day-Lewis is 65.
Actor Michelle Pfeiffer is 64.
Actor Eve Plumb is 64.
Rock musician Phil King is 62.
Country singer Stephanie Bentley is 59.
Actor Vincent Ventresca is 56.
Singer Carnie Wilson (Wilson Phillips) is 54.
Actor Paul Adelstein is 53.
Actor Uma Thurman is 52.
International Tennis Hall of Famer Andre Agassi is 52.
Rapper Master P is 52.
Actor Darby Stanchfield is 51.
Country singer James Bonamy is 50.
Gospel/R&B singer Erica Campbell (Mary Mary) is 50.
Rock musician Mike Hogan (The Cranberries) is 49.
Actor Tyler Labine is 44.
Actor Megan Boone is 39.
Actor-model Taylor Cole is 38.
NHL center Jonathan Toews is 34.
Pop singer Foxes is 33.
Actor Grace Kaufman is 20.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 10:19:31 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Eight!

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Eleven.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.
Shudder-inducing.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.
Shudder-inducing.
Accidents happen every day but that seems especially grewsome.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 11:47:13 AM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.
Shudder-inducing.
Accidents happen every day but that seems especially grewsome.
Having been through a couple of car accidents and a fall, I know that there's never a sense of terror or horror. There's just a sense of confusion intermingled with the realization that something has gone wrong until everything stops moving.  So it's not like they spent their final moments pondering a gruesome demise.  But it still elicits some primal sense of horror.

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.
Shudder-inducing.
Accidents happen every day but that seems especially grewsome.
Having been through a couple of car accidents and a fall, I know that there's never a sense of terror or horror. There's just a sense of confusion intermingled with the realization that something has gone wrong until everything stops moving.  So it's not like they spent their final moments pondering a gruesome demise.  But it still elicits some primal sense of horror.
That's a very interesting perspective. Happy to say that I have not experienced it. Knock on wood that I shouldn't either.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 01:00:52 PM »

Ten years ago:... An out-of-control SUV plunged more than 50 feet off the side of a New York City highway overpass and landed on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo, killing all seven people aboard, including three children.
I do not recall this story. Wow, that's crazy.
Shudder-inducing.
Accidents happen every day but that seems especially grewsome.
Having been through a couple of car accidents and a fall, I know that there's never a sense of terror or horror. There's just a sense of confusion intermingled with the realization that something has gone wrong until everything stops moving.  So it's not like they spent their final moments pondering a gruesome demise.  But it still elicits some primal sense of horror.
That's a very interesting perspective. Happy to say that I have not experienced it. Knock on wood that I shouldn't either.
Well, I don't recommend it.

My fall was "only" nine feet. It could easily have killed me, but for the grace of God or sheer dumb luck. As it was, it just badly broke my leg.

But it was in the dark, and I had no visual clues as to what was happening. So as it began to happen, tachypsychia set in and time seemed to dilate. It felt like it took longer than the second or two required to fall nine feet, but again, at the time I didnt know what was happening and had no frame of reference. I remember thinking it was some sort of cave-in or sinkhole and I was trying to figure out how to keep from being buried and suffocating. There was time to wonder if I was going to die, but never really time for panic or a flood of adrenaline. Then everything stopped moving and I realized I was lying in a concrete trench and could see the sky. At that point it became a question of how badly I was injured. My left leg hurt at the ankle, which struck me as a good sign that I wasn't paralyzed. And I could say "Fuck!" out loud which was a positive indicator that cognition wasn't badly impaired. I could communicate with my friend Keith, which was also a good sign, and a sign that I wasn't in some sort of afterlife. That thought made me laugh, which was another positive sign.  So then I commenced a head to toe self-check, and determined that my leg was likely broken.

There you go - the anatomy of a traumatic accident.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 01:07:12 PM »

Brown box!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3