Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »

I need to finalize my cigar selection for the big herf tomorrow. I'm so excited.
I was just going to ask about that.  You'll have to let us know your selection.
Imagine Charlie and Rick would have some for you as well.
No Rick. Brad. And then there will also be Dennis, and Kevin.
Well Brad and Charlie usually come with interesting cigar offerings.  Can't say about Dennis the Menace and Kevin McCallister.
Kevin's thing is all the unique IPAs he brings. This was a sampling he texted us about earlier in the week.

no idea what any of that stuff is. cheap draft beer and shots of bourbon was my thing. did they even have IPA's 37 years ago?
I believe they did.
In 1984?  Short answer is "no."  Long answer is much more nuanced, and involves the origins of high-ABV ales in the early 19th century, the impact of a couple of world wars punctuated by Prohibition in the US, and debates over what would constitute an IPA and exactly when Bass Ale ceased to qualify.  It also touches on the history of Ballantine's XXX Ale in the US.  But trying to find an IPA in the US in 1984?  Not bloody likely, at least not what we'd now call an IPA.  They started reappearing in England in 1990, and in the US soon after.

I was first introduced to them in 1992 by a friend who was a serious brewing hobbyist.  But it was a year or two after that I started finding them in pubs and stores.  Maybe you down easters could find them easier.  But not out in the west.
Well I stand corrected. I assumed IPAs were created hundreds of years ago when people were traveling/exploring by ship.

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »

La Palina Red

Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]