CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: 11/4/2014  (Read 18666 times)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
Re: 11/4/2014
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »

Pobation, 80 hours community service and a $2,000 fine would be the only punishment facing Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson if a no-contest plea to misdemeanor reckless assault.
$2000? Why even bother? That'd be like fining me 29 cents.

LOL, precedent I guess.  If they fined him his $2,000 equivalent, it'd be challenged and thrown out immediately.  If they just didn't bother fining him at all, it'd be just as bad the other way, you'd never be able to punish anyone for the same crime.

I think the bigger joke is that he's able to plea bargain out of child abuse charges.  An average citizen would absolutely NOT have a similar case end like this.
No doubt about it.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:52 PM »

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »

Man, this day is going to DRAG!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!
Congrats!  Will they do a 60day review or something similar with a full time offer? 

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »

Congrats!  Will they do a 60day review or something similar with a full time offer?

I basically have to get "in the system" this way, first, to be eligible for full time positions that are only open to current county employees at the moment.  Kinda hoping it works out to be a short cut instead of waiting for the positions to open up to the public. It's government, so they have to go through a fairly extensive and "fair" interview process when opening things up to the public.  The department I'm in was willing to jump around those loopholes for the part time position since they were technically allowed to avoid the more lengthy hiring process by doing it this way.

I don't even know if that makes sense.  Government is confusing.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »

Congrats, Gubmint Joe!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »

I basically have to get "in the system" this way, first, to be eligible for full time positions that are only open to current county employees at the moment.  Kinda hoping it works out to be a short cut instead of waiting for the positions to open up to the public. It's government, so they have to go through a fairly extensive and "fair" interview process when opening things up to the public.  The department I'm in was willing to jump around those loopholes for the part time position since they were technically allowed to avoid the more lengthy hiring process by doing it this way.

No, that makes total sense.  It's so much easier for them do commit to PT, even if it's a few weeks, for the fear that if it doesn't turn out it's a lot less energy on their part...and with gubment that's probably a lot of shit. 
My sister just did a similar thing in WA for her nursing job-hired her on for 3mo as PT, work 40hr weeks, after 2mo then just brought her on full time once they all realized they liked her and realized she fit in well there.  Job was posted and everything, but way simpler since it was for internals only.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »

No, that makes total sense.  It's so much easier for them do commit to PT, even if it's a few weeks, for the fear that if it doesn't turn out it's a lot less energy on their part...and with gubment that's probably a lot of shit. 
My sister just did a similar thing in WA for her nursing job-hired her on for 3mo as PT, work 40hr weeks, after 2mo then just brought her on full time once they all realized they liked her and realized she fit in well there.  Job was posted and everything, but way simpler since it was for internals only.

Yeah, sounds almost exactly the same.  Before they fully commit, which is a fairly large commitment considering the fairly extensive government benefits package, they need to see that you can truly do the work.  I'm not even authorized to do certain things, as low level as they may be, since I haven't officially been on payroll there. 

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »

Yeah, sounds almost exactly the same.  Before they fully commit, which is a fairly large commitment considering the fairly extensive government benefits package, they need to see that you can truly do the work.  I'm not even authorized to do certain things, as low level as they may be, since I haven't officially been on payroll there.
Yeah the Gubment benefits sound unreal...very tempting for when I have kids and won't want to work 50-55hr weeks, every week of the year.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »

Hazzuh!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »

Hazzuh!
Speaking of gubment hours...have a good night Dave!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »

Hazzuh!
Speaking of gubment hours...have a good night Dave!

Indeed, later Dave.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »

Yeah the Gubment benefits sound unreal...very tempting for when I have kids and won't want to work 50-55hr weeks, every week of the year.

Yeah, that's another "perk".  Goverment workers really are not paid that much (until you get to management levels, anyway) relative to what a similar job would pay in the private sector.  Long term benefits, though, are great, as is the 'quality of life'.  There will always be some added work hours but generally speaking, a 40 hour work week is the norm.  And when you're off work, you're OFF. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12