Pobation, 80 hours community service and a $2,000 fine would be the only punishment facing Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson if a no-contest plea to misdemeanor reckless assault.
$2000? Why even bother? That'd be like fining me 29 cents.

LOL, precedent I guess.  If they fined him his $2,000 equivalent, it'd be challenged and thrown out immediately.  If they just didn't bother fining him at all, it'd be just as bad the other way, you'd never be able to punish anyone for the same crime.

I think the bigger joke is that he's able to plea bargain out of child abuse charges.  An average citizen would absolutely NOT have a similar case end like this.
No doubt about it.

Man, this day is going to DRAG!
Logged

jswaykos

Man, this day is going to DRAG!

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!

Man, this day is going to DRAG!

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!
Congrats!  Will they do a 60day review or something similar with a full time offer?
Logged

jswaykos

Man, this day is going to DRAG!

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!
Congrats!  Will they do a 60day review or something similar with a full time offer?

I basically have to get "in the system" this way, first, to be eligible for full time positions that are only open to current county employees at the moment.  Kinda hoping it works out to be a short cut instead of waiting for the positions to open up to the public. It's government, so they have to go through a fairly extensive and "fair" interview process when opening things up to the public.  The department I'm in was willing to jump around those loopholes for the part time position since they were technically allowed to avoid the more lengthy hiring process by doing it this way.

I don't even know if that makes sense.  Government is confusing.

Man, this day is going to DRAG!

Don't have much left to do here, just putting in the hours.  Just got officially offered the paid position at the government site, though it's still only part time for now.  Next step, full time and leaving the advertising world behind, hopefully!
Congrats, Gubmint Joe!

[...]

No, that makes total sense.  It's so much easier for them do commit to PT, even if it's a few weeks, for the fear that if it doesn't turn out it's a lot less energy on their part...and with gubment that's probably a lot of shit.
My sister just did a similar thing in WA for her nursing job-hired her on for 3mo as PT, work 40hr weeks, after 2mo then just brought her on full time once they all realized they liked her and realized she fit in well there.  Job was posted and everything, but way simpler since it was for internals only.
[...]

Yeah, sounds almost exactly the same.  Before they fully commit, which is a fairly large commitment considering the fairly extensive government benefits package, they need to see that you can truly do the work.  I'm not even authorized to do certain things, as low level as they may be, since I haven't officially been on payroll there.

[...]

Yeah the Gubment benefits sound unreal...very tempting for when I have kids and won't want to work 50-55hr weeks, every week of the year.

Hazzuh!

Hazzuh!
Speaking of gubment hours...have a good night Dave!
Logged

jswaykos

Hazzuh!
Speaking of gubment hours...have a good night Dave!

Indeed, later Dave.
[...]

Yeah, that's another "perk".  Goverment workers really are not paid that much (until you get to management levels, anyway) relative to what a similar job would pay in the private sector.  Long term benefits, though, are great, as is the 'quality of life'.  There will always be some added work hours but generally speaking, a 40 hour work week is the norm.  And when you're off work, you're OFF.