CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on November 09, 2014, 12:02:03 AM

Title: 11/9/2014
Post by: CigarBanter on November 09, 2014, 12:02:03 AM
Don't be a turkey!  Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something about cigars along the way.  Be warned, post on this site and you will catch hell from members and trolls alike.  Therefore, don't proceed if you have thin skin.  If you can accept all that, light a cigar, pour a beverage of your choice and welcome aboard!

Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: IrascibleOldFool on November 09, 2014, 12:47:19 AM
Good morning turkeys!
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 01:52:59 AM
Good morning guys.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 01:58:41 AM
Today is Sunday, Nov. 9, the 313th day of 2014. There are 52 days left in the year.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 01:59:40 AM
Today's Highlight in History:

On Nov. 9, 1989, communist East Germany threw open its borders, allowing citizens to travel freely to the West; joyous Germans danced atop the Berlin Wall.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:00:35 AM
On this date:

Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:01:14 AM
In 1620, the passengers and crew of the Mayflower sighted Cape Cod.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:02:22 AM
In 1872, fire destroyed nearly 800 buildings in Boston.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:02:54 AM
1918, it was announced that Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm II would abdicate; he then fled to the Netherlands.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:03:44 AM

In 1938, Nazis looted and burned synagogues as well as Jewish-owned stores and houses in Germany and Austria in a pogrom that became known as "Kristallnacht."
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:04:45 AM
In 1953, Welsh author-poet Dylan Thomas died in New York at age 39.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:05:56 AM
In 1963, twin disasters struck Japan as some 450 miners were killed in a coal-dust explosion, and about 160 people died in a train crash.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:06:15 AM
In 1965, the great Northeast blackout occurred as a series of power failures lasting up to 13 1/2 hours left 30 million people in seven states and part of Canada without electricity.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:06:40 AM
In 1967, a Saturn V rocket carrying an unmanned Apollo spacecraft blasted off from Cape Kennedy on a successful test flight.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:07:03 AM
In 1970, former French President Charles de Gaulle died at age 79.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:07:29 AM
1976, the U.N. General Assembly approved resolutions condemning apartheid in South Africa, including one characterizing the white-ruled government as "illegitimate."
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:07:58 AM
In 1988, former Attorney General John N. Mitchell, a major figure in the Watergate scandal, died in Washington at age 75.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:08:44 AM

In 1999, with fireworks, concerts and a huge party at the landmark Brandenburg Gate, Germany celebrated the 10th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:09:42 AM
years ago: Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans resigned; they were the first members of the Cabinet to leave as President George W. Bush headed from re-election into his second term. Kenny Chesney won the Country Music Association album of the year award for "When the Sun Goes Down" as well as entertainer of the year. Roger Clemens won his record seventh Cy Young Award.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:10:22 AM
Five years ago: The Dow Jones industrial average rose 203.52, or 2 percent, to 10,226.94, its highest finish since Oct. 3, 2008, as a falling dollar boosted prices for gold, oil and other commodities. Germany celebrated the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:10:50 AM
One year ago: A deadly house party shooting in suburban Houston left two teens dead. Three of the four surviving Doolittle Raiders who attacked Tokyo in 1942, all in their 90's, offered a final toast to their fallen comrades in a ceremony at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force near Dayton, Ohio.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:11:26 AM
Today's Birthdays: Baseball Hall of Famer Whitey Herzog is 83. Baseball Hall of Famer Bob Gibson is 79. Actor Charlie Robinson is 69. Movie director Bille August is 66. Actor Robert David Hall is 66. Actor Lou Ferrigno is 63. Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, is 62. Gospel singer Donnie McClurkin is 55. Rock musician Dee Plakas (L7) is 54. Actress Ion Overman is 45. Rapper Pepa (Salt-N-Pepa) is 45. Rapper Scarface (Geto Boys) is 44. Blues singer Susan Tedeschi (teh-DEHS'-kee) is 44. Actor Jason Antoon is 43. Actor Eric Dane is 42. Singer Nick Lachey (98 Degrees) is 41. Rhythm-and-blues singer Sisqo (Dru Hill) is 36. Country singer Corey Smith is 35. Actress Nikki Blonsky is 26. Actress-model Analeigh (AH'-nuh-lee) Tipton is 26.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:12:16 AM
Thought for Today: "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." — Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:14:22 AM
Birth Control Pills
-------------------------

After working most of her life Grandma finally retired. At her next
checkup, the new doctor told her to bring a list of all the medicines
that had been prescribed for her.

As the young doctor was looking through these, his eyes grew wide as he
realized she had a prescription for birth control pills. "Mrs. Smith, do
you realize these are BIRTH CONTROL pills?"

Yes, they help me sleep at night. "

"Mrs. Smith, I assure you there is absolutely NOTHING in these
that could possibly help you sleep!

She reached out and patted the young Doctor's knee. "Yes, dear,I know
that. But every morning, I grind one up and mix it in the glass of
orange juice that my 16 year old granddaughter drinks . . . and believe
me, it helps me sleep at night. "

You gotta love Grandmas!
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 02:43:02 AM
Time to head to work guys, enjoy your day.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: IrascibleOldFool on November 09, 2014, 02:45:35 AM
My thought of the day...“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 04:59:33 AM
Time for a double sheesh.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 06:11:50 AM
Morning Chip.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 06:41:24 AM
Morning Chip.
Good morning Native.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 06:42:03 AM
Morning Chip.
we lost but the game was much closer than I thought it would be.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 06:52:12 AM
Morning Chip.
we lost but the game was much closer than I thought it would be.
Good game they just blew up in the last 2-1/2 minutes of regular play then the 60 minute great defense fell apart in the overtime.  I certainly enjoyed another smash mouth SEC Death Valley game though even though.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 07:07:24 AM
Breaking Global Warming Forecast from the Weather Channel:   It is going to be freezing cold with moderate snow from North Dakota through Minnesota this week.   :)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 07:32:04 AM
Breaking Global Warming Forecast from the Weather Channel:   It is going to be freezing cold with moderate snow from North Dakota through Minnesota this week.   :)
Maybe we need to send a rescue party out for yellowstar.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 07:32:44 AM
Morning Chip and Dave.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 07:34:31 AM
Morning Chip.
we lost but the game was much closer than I thought it would be.
Good game they just blew up in the last 2-1/2 minutes of regular play then the 60 minute great defense fell apart in the overtime.  I certainly enjoyed another smash mouth SEC Death Valley game though even though.
Yea, tough one for sure.  Nice to see A&M come around after their swoon.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 07:35:39 AM
Breaking Global Warming Forecast from the Weather Channel:   It is going to be freezing cold with moderate snow from North Dakota through Minnesota this week.   :)
Wonder how the parade of Polar Vortexes will be this year.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 07:36:42 AM
Morning Chip and Dave.
Good morning Dave.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 07:40:22 AM
Morning Chip and Dave.
Good Sunday Morning to ya Dave.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 07:42:16 AM
Morning Chip.
we lost but the game was much closer than I thought it would be.
Good game they just blew up in the last 2-1/2 minutes of regular play then the 60 minute great defense fell apart in the overtime.  I certainly enjoyed another smash mouth SEC Death Valley game though even though.
Yea, tough one for sure.  Nice to see A&M come around after their swoon.
That was an interesting show but SEC West beating SEC West is killing the SEC West Nationally.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
Breaking Global Warming Forecast from the Weather Channel:   It is going to be freezing cold with moderate snow from North Dakota through Minnesota this week.   :)
Wonder how the parade of Polar Vortexes will be this year.
Might be regular and cold based on the global warming channel.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 08:20:09 AM
Good morning, men.  I fell down a Google rabbit hole looking up widespread blackouts thanks to one of Chip's posts.  Haha.  Plus let's not forget to wish Nick Lachey a happy birthday.  :)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 08:23:33 AM
Good morning, men.  I fell down a Google rabbit hole looking up widespread blackouts thanks to one of Chip's posts.  Haha.  Plus let's not forget to wish Nick Lachey a happy birthday.  :)
Sorry, I don't know him or his band.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 08:26:39 AM
Good morning, men.  I fell down a Google rabbit hole looking up widespread blackouts thanks to one of Chip's posts.  Haha.  Plus let's not forget to wish Nick Lachey a happy birthday.  :)
Sorry, I don't know him or his band.
I don't either but years ago he and his ex-wife, Jessica Simpson, had a train wreck of a reality show.  Amazing how dumb folks become "successful".
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 08:29:42 AM
Morning Tony.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 08:30:21 AM
Good morning, men.  I fell down a Google rabbit hole looking up widespread blackouts thanks to one of Chip's posts.  Haha.  Plus let's not forget to wish Nick Lachey a happy birthday.  :)
Sorry, I don't know him or his band.
Nor do you likely want to either.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 08:31:08 AM
Good morning, men.  I fell down a Google rabbit hole looking up widespread blackouts thanks to one of Chip's posts.  Haha.  Plus let's not forget to wish Nick Lachey a happy birthday.  :)
Let's do forget his name and his birthday.  :)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 08:40:50 AM
Morning Tony.
Howdy, Dave.  (I lost my clipboard).  :)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 08:43:24 AM
Morning Tony.  Any soccer today?
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 09:01:18 AM
Morning Tony.  Any soccer today?
No soccer.  Just took the girls to Sunday school.  I'll pick them up in 45 minutes.  My eldest is cheering for the boys divisional championship (football) today and I have to work the concessions stand.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 09:02:24 AM
good morning Chip, Dave(s), Tony, anyone I missed. back home.
Oliva O maduro and coffee. sun is out 56° and likely to hit the high 70's.
I'm wore out.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 09:05:33 AM
good morning Chip, Dave(s), Tony, anyone I missed. back home.
Oliva O maduro and coffee. sun is out 56° and likely to hit the high 70's.
I'm wore out.
Are you smiling as you post that?
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 09:14:44 AM
good morning Chip, Dave(s), Tony, anyone I missed. back home.
Oliva O maduro and coffee. sun is out 56° and likely to hit the high 70's.
I'm wore out.
Are you smiling as you post that?
absolutely.
:)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 09:28:56 AM
good morning Chip, Dave(s), Tony, anyone I missed. back home.
Oliva O maduro and coffee. sun is out 56° and likely to hit the high 70's.
I'm wore out.
Are you smiling as you post that?
absolutely.
:)
Then that's all that matters.  GFY!  (meaning, good for you).
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 09:43:08 AM
How are your self inflicted wounds feeling Mr. Dean?
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
How are your self inflicted wounds feeling Mr. Dean?
healing up pretty good. should be back Friday or Saturday to finish.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 09:48:16 AM
How are your self inflicted wounds feeling Mr. Dean?
I always took Dean for a masochist.  Hiya Dave.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 09:54:01 AM
How are your self inflicted wounds feeling Mr. Dean?
I never took Dean for a masochist.  Hiya Dave.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 10:12:48 AM
good morning Chip, Dave(s), Tony, anyone I missed. back home.
Oliva O maduro and coffee. sun is out 56° and likely to hit the high 70's.
I'm wore out.
Good morning Dean and Congrats on being worn out in a good way!
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 10:14:02 AM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 10:28:07 AM
My 5 year old granddaughter has her first loose tooth.  So my 3 year old grandson goes on to tell me about the tooth fairy.  While making a yanking motion with his hand, he says, "He comes over from his house in the middle of the night, and he pulls your tooth out...!"
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 10:29:17 AM
My 5 year old granddaughter has her first loose tooth.  So my 3 year old grandson goes on to tell me about the tooth fairy.  While making a yanking motion with his hand, he says, "He comes over from his house in the middle of the night, and he pulls your tooth out...!"
hahaha, cute.
morning BD.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 10:40:02 AM
My 5 year old granddaughter has her first loose tooth.  So my 3 year old grandson goes on to tell me about the tooth fairy.  While making a yanking motion with his hand, he says, "He comes over from his house in the middle of the night, and he pulls your tooth out...!"
hahaha, cute.
morning BD.
Good morning Dean.  I love talking to my grandson.  He gets excited and goes into great details on subjects.  I can't remember the other story, but they were walking down the street trick 'r treating, and a big hook and ladder fire truck pulled over and the firemen gave them handfuls of tootsie rolls.  That was really funny too..
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 10:57:28 AM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
You and Deano, both.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 11:05:47 AM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
You and Deano, both.
....... but I didn't want to sleep.
;b
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 11:08:46 AM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
You and Deano, both.
....... but I didn't want to sleep.
;b
What makes you think BD did?  He and his wife still get freaky.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 11:12:34 AM
My wife called me on the phone the other day crying.  She took her car for an emissions inspection, and it flunked.  I told her is was probably nothing, and we took her car to Meineke and dropped it off.  As we were leaving Meineke, she yells back, "and tell me why my antifreeze is brown."  $240 to fix the emissions problem.  The brown antifreeze is caused by a cooling coil that comes from the transmission is leaking into the raditor.  She needs a new radiator, hoses, and all the things that goes with correcting the transmission for an extra $2,100.  Her car is a 1996 and going on 19 years old.  I said, "now you can start crying."  I didn't know what else to do, so we went ahead and had the emission problem fixed, and we're hoping the car will go until next spring.  By then, I hope we can figure out how to get another car.  I hope I wasn't stupid for putting the $240 into it for now, but I just didn't know what to do at the time.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 11:15:01 AM
nothing has changed in NY.
deadbeat boy took this deer bow hunting in Ohio. he's still living rent free in the 1 bedroom apartment with his mommy.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 11:18:18 AM
[...]
without the inspection you wouldn't be able to drive it legally right?
now drive it until the engine goes and hope you can fund another.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 11:21:05 AM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
You and Deano, both.
....... but I didn't want to sleep.
;b
What makes you think BD did?  He and his wife still get freaky.
Ya have to put a little fun into your marriage.  I guess I was lucky to have a wife that doesn't mind being a little silly from time to time.  What's strange is, "what we expected would happen, was normally completely different from what actually happened."
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 11:26:30 AM
[...]
That exactly what I told my wife.  The radiator has been like that for about 1 or 2 years.  She only drives a few blocks to work and back, so who knows how long the car will last.  I told her to drive it till it blows up and then drive my truck until we can come up with a solution.  And yes, she still has to pass the test to drive it. Meineke told her to drive the car for about 150 miles to reset some thing, and then have it tested again.  She has till the end of the month.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 11:30:01 AM
[...]
at least you have a 2nd vehicle.
150 miles seems high, in NY it was only 50. you could drive around all day and have checked in the afternoon or next day.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 11:36:51 AM
[...]
just checked a few web resources and 150 miles is standard to clean out everything. live and learn.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 11:37:37 AM
[...]
Meineke told her to drive it around, then stop back before taking it to be inspected, and they would check it first to make sure it will pass the inspection.  So we'll see what happens at the end of the week.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 12:06:24 PM
Good morning everyone...  I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm a little slow this morning.
You and Deano, both.
....... but I didn't want to sleep.
;b
What makes you think BD did?  He and his wife still get freaky.
Ok, this is what it's like to be married to my wife.  Now I'm talking maybe 15 or so years ago.  She was really nice looking until age started catching up with us in our mid 50's.  My wife is a cross between Lucille Ball and Peg Bundy.  It was a Friday night and we were going to go out and hit a few bars.  My wife drives me insane when she is getting dressed.  We're talking at least 2 hours. What should I wear..?  What are you wearing..?  Should we wear matching colors...?  Which dress..?  Which skirt..?  Which blouse with each skirt..?  What color makeup...?  Should I put curl in my hair or wear it straight...?  Should I wear panty hose or stocking..?  Does this look ok..?  What shoes...?  How high should the heels be...?  AAAAAAHHHH..!!!!  I just want to say shut up..!  Two hours later, "which panties should I wear, what color..?"  I don't care...!  Wear any color, it doesn't matter. Don't wear any, who fricking cares..!!!  We finally make it to a bar.  We pick a table back a little way from the bar.  The tables are these high tables with tall chairs.  She sits down, and I say I'm going to go to the bar and get us some drinks.  I'm standing at the bar, and I'm waiting and waiting to get the bartenders attention, and finally order some drinks. As I'm waiting, I hear this big crash..!  I look at the end of the bar and this guy fell right off of his bar stool.  As I'm still waiting for my drinks, I hear the guy getting up off of the floor, and he says to his friend, "that woman back there isn't wearing any panties...!"  I'm like, "oh god..!"  You see this sort of stuff happening in the movies, but apparently it really happens.  I go back to the table and I ask, "your not wearing any underware...?"  She says, "how did you know...?"  Because that idiot at the bar just fell off of his barstool trying to look up your skirt...!!!  Then she says, "well you said not to wear any."  I meant, "put something on so we an go..!!!"
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 12:59:55 PM
[...]
50 miles is all the computers require to reset and clear the not ready message that the inspection station gets when they connect to your computer, normally a fail sticker is good for a full 30 days after you get the fail sticker.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: LSUFAN on November 09, 2014, 01:00:31 PM
[...]
Poor guy paid for his free show.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
[...]
What the heck, sounds like a win/win.  And even if she didn't, how the heck did this guy notice?  I mean unless she was sitting on top of the table....
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 01:11:05 PM
[...]
It was one of those very tall tables.  I'd say the table top would hit you at around chest level (4 to 4 1/2 foot high), then the chair seat is around 3 foot high.  So your sitting up pretty high.  I did see the guy before he fell, and he was leaning over on his stool, then leaning more until he fell.  I didn't realize what he was doing until I overheard them taking. It was just one of those weird things you don't normally expect to happen.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
[...]
Now I'm basically worried about hoping the car will make it another 6 months or so, and then what kind of car to replace it.  My wife just drives around town, so I'm thinking about the cheapest, best rated, high mileage car I can find.  But what, and I have to be able to fit into it.. :)  I may subscribe to Consumer Report, and read up on cars.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 01:20:34 PM
Shop 'n Save had Beefeater Gin (1/5th) for $15.99 which is a pretty good price.  So, I bought that and I have a bottle of Dirty Sue Premium Olive Juice, and I think I'm going to make myself a Dirty Martini shortly.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 01:37:36 PM
no electric in the camper except battery power. circuit breaker and fuses good, GFI reset doesn't reset.
waiting on maintenance staff.

landlady has had a buyer for the RV park in here 3 times now. I may not get the camper issues resolved or a newer camper if she sells. I'm looking for another place but THE FUCKING SNOWBIRDS HAVE EVERYTHING BOOKED.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: dwgbryant on November 09, 2014, 01:40:02 PM
OOO toro and cold coffee while I gather what wits I have left.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 01:43:59 PM
[...]
You don't even need to do that.  Problem is cost of "highly rated" used cars is so high, you're almost better off getting a new one.  Lot of nice reliable cars for under 20K.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 01:56:48 PM
OOO toro and cold coffee while I gather what wits I have left.
A cigar sounds good about now.  I may have to go humidor diving in a few...!
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 02:01:50 PM
[...]
I guess I'm just dreaming of a new car at the moment. But I was looking at used cars on Cars.com and your right.  Some of the used cars were almost as much as the new ones.  Also I was looking at two identical cars at the same dealer.  One had 2,000 miles on it and the other had 30,000 miles and they were priced the same...?  God, I hate car dealers...
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 02:30:29 PM
OOO toro and cold coffee while I gather what wits I have left.
A cigar sounds good about now.  I may have to go humidor diving in a few...!
+1
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 02:34:55 PM
OOO toro and cold coffee while I gather what wits I have left.
A cigar sounds good about now.  I may have to go humidor diving in a few...!
+1
Good afternoon TR.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 02:44:19 PM
[...]
My 2 cents worth at no charge but I have bought plenty of vehicles and until this year drive plenty of miles.

Don't waste your money on consumer reports, just use Edmunds online for free.  More information and more reliable.
Nice clean used late model low mileage cars at dealers are seldom a significant savings and sometimes even more than new ones when you shop for rebate programs and no interest financing values on new ones.
Hyundai has some high quality good value cars that get great fuel milage don't overlook them
Don't pay extra for Hybrids you don't drive anywhere near enough miles to come out ahead
Don't buy a Fiat!!!
Don't believe anything a dealer tells you
Do your homework online before stepping foot on a dealers lot while they are open.  I like to go while they are closed and check things out, frequently find several unlocked so you can seat test them.
Travellin Dave is right, there are plenty of nice cars in the $20,000 and under market.
Don't pour a lot of money in that old car you will get none of it back just prop it up and drive it till it dies.  In MO they got a fuct up law that you can't sell it except as a total/scrap without passing inspection.

Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 02:52:30 PM
Travellin Dave's Tigers took a nice leap in the AP.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 02:57:08 PM
[...]

Thanks...  I'd like to have a Hybrid, but like you say, I'd never recoup the higher cost of the car.  Hyundai and Kia have that 10 year 100,000 warranty that looks attractive.  I really want some thing that will be reliable and will last a long time.  We never go anywhere except around town.  I see allot of deals on the Nissan Altima too.  I've often thought about going to a dealership and sitting in their repair department, say I waiting one someone, and then talk to the people that are bringing their cars in for repair.. :)
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 03:05:56 PM
[...]

IMHO based on rental cars driven and friends who have owned them the Hundai is a far superior car to the Kia.  Altima is a nice car too.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 03:09:12 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spent way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 03:15:13 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 03:22:56 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
We rarely go out at night we go check out all kinds of places to eat and drink on day trips and there are literally thousands of places to check out around here, including some pretty good breweries. I hate going to movies so that almost never occurs.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Bad Dad on November 09, 2014, 03:38:24 PM
I found a Tabak Negra in my humidor, in which I'm about to partake.  I'm going to take a little break. bbl.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 04:08:59 PM
[...]

Not Kia.  Hyundai is a solid economical car. Nissan reliability is sometimes in question, Toyota and Mazda are solid, Honda good too but a bit of price creep.  Ford has some nice cars on the lower end and GM has some offerings as well (but I have a long standing bias against them).

You can still find 2014's around that are priced better than 2010-2012 used versions, plus many with 0% financing.  November/December is a good time to buy (also Jan/Feb) as money is budgeted for the holidays now and nobody likes to go car shopping in the worst winter months.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 04:10:16 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
Cheaper and probably a better choice in keeping you out of trouble.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 04:12:16 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
We rarely go out at night we go check out all kinds of places to eat and drink on day trips and there are literally thousands of places to check out around here, including some pretty good breweries. I hate going to movies so that almost never occurs.
There sure are Mr. Growler!
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 04:50:44 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
We rarely go out at night we go check out all kinds of places to eat and drink on day trips and there are literally thousands of places to check out around here, including some pretty good breweries. I hate going to movies so that almost never occurs.
There sure are Mr. Growler!
LOL I did not even fill the growler this weekens.  They had some cedar plank aged farmhouse ale yesterday that was really good, also about  a 10% ABV.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
[...]

I agree with Travellin Dave's comments.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: South Carolina Redfish on November 09, 2014, 04:53:08 PM
San Cristobal Revilation selected, excellent cigar. Just water at the present time I spen way too much time at the Jester King Brewery yesterday but they had one hell of a little band playing and I could not leave.  Whooo had to ask goggle where I lived to get home.  The place is way out in the country.
Sounds like fun....  I keep trying to get my wife to go out, but she's always too tired from the night job.  I've often thought about just going out by myself..., but watching a movie at home and smoking a cigar always seems to win out..
We rarely go out at night we go check out all kinds of places to eat and drink on day trips and there are literally thousands of places to check out around here, including some pretty good breweries. I hate going to movies so that almost never occurs.
There sure are Mr. Growler!
You need to find your way back down here.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 05:37:08 PM
Good evening, gents.  My Steelers let me down again but that's ok.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: KC on November 09, 2014, 05:39:26 PM
Thanks...  I'd like to have a Hybrid, but like you say, I'd never recoup the higher cost of the car.  Hyundai and Kia have that 10 year 100,000 warranty that looks attractive.  I really want some thing that will be reliable and will last a long time.  We never go anywhere except around town.  I see allot of deals on the Nissan Altima too.  I've often thought about going to a dealership and sitting in their repair department, say I waiting one someone, and then talk to the people that are bringing their cars in for repair.. :)-----BD-----That 10 year/100,000 mile warranty from Hyundai/KIA is pure, unmitigated BS.  I know first hand.  Cynthia bought a new 2013 KIA Sportage, and at 15,000 the engine seized.  She had all the maintenance done at the dealer, on time.  They put a re-manufactured engine in it, under warranty, but whined about doing it.  At 28,000 miles, the engine seized again.  The car was 1.5 years old.  They refused to honor the warranty, saying "Someone put salt water in the engine".  Pure BS.  It was anti-freeze.  I had a computerized oil analysis done, proving that there was anti-freeze in the oil, and they still claimed it was salt water that someone put in the engine, and refused to honor the warranty.  We got a lawyer, sued Hyundai/KIA under the Florida Lemon Law, and we won.  KIA has to refund the full purchase price plus interest, and rental car costs, and take the POS back.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 06:03:18 PM
What's KC doing here on a Sunday?  Bad weather in your neck of the woods?
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: KC on November 09, 2014, 06:09:56 PM
What's KC doing here on a Sunday?  Bad weather in your neck of the woods?

Huge front been moving over S FL all day, into tonight and tomorrow.  Been raining all day.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 06:18:24 PM
What's KC doing here on a Sunday?  Bad weather in your neck of the woods?

Huge front been moving over S FL all day, into tonight and tomorrow.  Been raining all day.
Sorry to hear it.  I just came back a little while ago from a 5th/6th grade football game.  Also had to work the concessions for the previous game (3rd/4th grades).  Weather was perfect.  Probably too cool for you but I was more then happy with just a sweatshirt on.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
Texas Dave won't be bragging on the weather by mid-week.  Looks to be colder there than NJ.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 08:43:27 PM
[...]
Some different job responsibilities for next year.  That may be in the cards.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on November 09, 2014, 09:33:12 PM
Texas Dave won't be bragging on the weather by mid-week.  Looks to be colder there than NJ.
I thought I heard it was gonna get nasty here too.  But then again, I never trust what those meteorologists say.
Title: Re: 11/9/2014
Post by: Travellin Dave on November 09, 2014, 10:25:12 PM
Texas Dave won't be bragging on the weather by mid-week.  Looks to be colder there than NJ.
I thought I heard it was gonna get nasty here too.  But then again, I never trust what those meteorologists say.
Yea, by the end of the week.