« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »

So, show of hands, who's excited for the new Bueso? Anyone? Bueller?
You must be, no?

« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.

Damn, that's cheaper than they sell it for at the brewery.  Let me know if you need help finishing it, I'll be right over.
Yeah no shui! Can't wait to try that when I come to SD!

« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

So, show of hands, who's excited for the new Bueso? Anyone? Bueller?

Who is Ramon Bueso?

« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »

Atlantic has the EPC Short Run 15's in.

What's the VIP price?  On the robustos, please.
Napoleon (I will withhold comment) box of 24 is $109.95

« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?
Of they top it with Nitrogen, yes-then it's good for 1-3months. If not, 2-3days, 24hrs once opened.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?

Oh, yeah, it would be good for weeks (probably) as long as you keep it "sealed".  Once it's open, though, most beers don't last more than a day or two.  Noticeable changes just overnight with some of the stuff I've had.  Hence, I usually go with the 32oz growlers if possible.  I can plow through one of those in a night.

« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2015, 12:16:39 PM »

Computing again, only a near 3 hour delay.  At least I can look for jobs at lunch now if it stays alive.
Nice! Damn computers!
And great IT folks to support them on sunny days.

« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?

Oh, yeah, it would be good for weeks (probably) as long as you keep it "sealed".  Once it's open, though, most beers don't last more than a day or two.  Noticeable changes just overnight with some of the stuff I've had.  Hence, I usually go with the 32oz growlers if possible.  I can plow through one of those in a night.
$6.99 for the 32oz
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?
Of they top it with Nitrogen, yes-then it's good for 1-3months. If not, 2-3days, 24hrs once opened.

Nowhere out here does the nitrogen thing.  Still, I've had stuff for weeks and they've been OK.  Probably depends a bit on the beer itself, and even the type of growler.  Those swing-top types (like the Rogue whiskey bottles, not sure what you'd call them) seem to be better than the twist caps.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?

Oh, yeah, it would be good for weeks (probably) as long as you keep it "sealed".  Once it's open, though, most beers don't last more than a day or two.  Noticeable changes just overnight with some of the stuff I've had.  Hence, I usually go with the 32oz growlers if possible.  I can plow through one of those in a night.
$6.99 for the 32oz

Just buy the whole keg.

« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?
Of they top it with Nitrogen, yes-then it's good for 1-3months. If not, 2-3days, 24hrs once opened.
Don't know abut the nitrogen trick but otherwise that has been my experience too.  PintHouse Pizza does not put some of their's in growlers because the carbonation is so low it will not evenlast 24 hours.

« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »

Time for lunch, got some allergy problems and don't feel much like taquitos or other heavy metals.

« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?

Oh, yeah, it would be good for weeks (probably) as long as you keep it "sealed".  Once it's open, though, most beers don't last more than a day or two.  Noticeable changes just overnight with some of the stuff I've had.  Hence, I usually go with the 32oz growlers if possible.  I can plow through one of those in a night.
$6.99 for the 32oz

Just buy the whole keg.
Thinking about it. Lagavulin at the same store is $94.49 and they have pretty good pricing. They also make a Distiller's Edition which must be awesome, they did that with the "6 Classic Malts"

« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?
Of they top it with Nitrogen, yes-then it's good for 1-3months. If not, 2-3days, 24hrs once opened.
Don't know abut the nitrogen trick but otherwise that has been my experience too.  PintHouse Pizza does not put some of their's in growlers because the carbonation is so low it will not evenlast 24 hours.
I can't risk waiting until Friday

« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »

Morning, all.  Good times at the tasting last night.  Really didn't care for any of the Auchentoshans.  Liked most of the Laphroaigs.  Only real dud of the evening was the Laphroaig Select, which the rep said was "selected" from other casks of the 10 Year, Triple Wood, Quarter Cask, etc, and blended together.  To me, that sounds like scrap whiskey that didn't fit a profile so they just mix it all together and sell it cheap.
sort of like the description of how they salvage tobacco to make them Papas Fritas...
''Very smooth for Laphroaig-the extra aging has mellowed this whisky. Soothing honeyed malt, creamy vanilla and toffee provide a bed for peat smoke, charcoal, tar, along with more subtle brine, smoked seaweed, anise, ginger and citrus. A, gentler, creamier, more tactile, less medicinal Laphroaig when compared to some of its siblings (Cask Strength, 15 year old, 25 year old, and even Quarter Cask). Will you prefer the new 18 year old to the 15 year old it is replacing? That depends. I enjoy the balance and subtle complexity of flavors with the 15 year old, but I also like the enhanced richness, mouth-coating creaminess of the 18 year old. The higher strength (and no chill-filtering) of the 18 is certainly a bonus.''

Malt Advocate Rating: 90pts
that marketing had me going for the 18 yr old Laphroaig select.  it's all how you are introduced to a product.  But I acknowledge Joes sense of what he likes.

We had the 18 Year last night, but I honestly didn't like it as much as some of the others.  I find that I tend to prefer scotches a bit on the younger side.  I suspect that's because they're still new to me, and "mellow" and "subtle" flavors from a scotch are still a bit lost on my palate.  I need the flavors to jump out at me a little more.

Dollar for dollar, my favorite last night was probably just the base Laphroaig 10 Year, followed by the 10 Year Cask Strength.  After that, the Triple Wood, and then the Quarter Cask.  We also tried the 2014 Cairdeas from Laphroaig.  Also good.  Not sure where I'd fit that in the rankings, probably close to the top.
I would equate Laphroaig (and a number of other scotches...not all) to discussions of cigar aging.  For some cigars, you like  the pop of fresh pepper and some other flavors that seem to really stand out.  With age, the pepper mellows considerably and the flavors smooth into something more homogeneous and subtle.  Laphroaig 10 has a bright fresh in your face presentation that is considerably mellowed in the 18.  I prefer the 10 as well.