jswaykos

« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »

Morning, all.  Good times at the tasting last night.  Really didn't care for any of the Auchentoshans.  Liked most of the Laphroaigs.  Only real dud of the evening was the Laphroaig Select, which the rep said was "selected" from other casks of the 10 Year, Triple Wood, Quarter Cask, etc, and blended together.  To me, that sounds like scrap whiskey that didn't fit a profile so they just mix it all together and sell it cheap.
sort of like the description of how they salvage tobacco to make them Papas Fritas...
''Very smooth for Laphroaig-the extra aging has mellowed this whisky. Soothing honeyed malt, creamy vanilla and toffee provide a bed for peat smoke, charcoal, tar, along with more subtle brine, smoked seaweed, anise, ginger and citrus. A, gentler, creamier, more tactile, less medicinal Laphroaig when compared to some of its siblings (Cask Strength, 15 year old, 25 year old, and even Quarter Cask). Will you prefer the new 18 year old to the 15 year old it is replacing? That depends. I enjoy the balance and subtle complexity of flavors with the 15 year old, but I also like the enhanced richness, mouth-coating creaminess of the 18 year old. The higher strength (and no chill-filtering) of the 18 is certainly a bonus.''

Malt Advocate Rating: 90pts
that marketing had me going for the 18 yr old Laphroaig select.  it's all how you are introduced to a product.  But I acknowledge Joes sense of what he likes.

We had the 18 Year last night, but I honestly didn't like it as much as some of the others.  I find that I tend to prefer scotches a bit on the younger side.  I suspect that's because they're still new to me, and "mellow" and "subtle" flavors from a scotch are still a bit lost on my palate.  I need the flavors to jump out at me a little more.

Dollar for dollar, my favorite last night was probably just the base Laphroaig 10 Year, followed by the 10 Year Cask Strength.  After that, the Triple Wood, and then the Quarter Cask.  We also tried the 2014 Cairdeas from Laphroaig.  Also good.  Not sure where I'd fit that in the rankings, probably close to the top.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »

A lot of people were recommending that I pick up some Lagavulin 16 Year if I was enjoying the Laphroaigs last night.  Apparently Costco sells it for just over $50.  Reviews sure sound good.

« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »

Computing again, only a near 3 hour delay.  At least I can look for jobs at lunch now if it stays alive.

« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »

A lot of people were recommending that I pick up some Lagavulin 16 Year if I was enjoying the Laphroaigs last night.  Apparently Costco sells it for just over $50.  Reviews sure sound good.
Best Single Malt anywhere IMHO (at anykind of normal price and availability at least) IF you like smoke which I do.   And $50 is $30-40 under any going liquor store price.  I bought it at Costco here a few years ago but have not seen it in there lateley but all Costco's (even in the same city) have different stuff.

There are 3 Costco's here and they are like shopping in 3 different brand stores when it comes to merchandise selection.

Just checked and $87.99 at my local cheapest liquor store.

« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:40 PM »

A lot of people were recommending that I pick up some Lagavulin 16 Year if I was enjoying the Laphroaigs last night.  Apparently Costco sells it for just over $50.  Reviews sure sound good.
Well, I like the hell out of it.

« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.

« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!

« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »

A lot of people were recommending that I pick up some Lagavulin 16 Year if I was enjoying the Laphroaigs last night.  Apparently Costco sells it for just over $50.  Reviews sure sound good.
Morning Joe, The Lagavulin is excellent but usually about $90 so if you can get it near $50 certainly jump on it

« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Stopping on the way home in 2+ hours
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »

A lot of people were recommending that I pick up some Lagavulin 16 Year if I was enjoying the Laphroaigs last night.  Apparently Costco sells it for just over $50.  Reviews sure sound good.
Best Single Malt anywhere IMHO (at anykind of normal price and availability at least) IF you like smoke which I do.   And $50 is $30-40 under any going liquor store price.  I bought it at Costco here a few years ago but have not seen it in there lateley but all Costco's (even in the same city) have different stuff.

There are 3 Costco's here and they are like shopping in 3 different brand stores when it comes to merchandise selection.

Same here regarding Costco selection, Dave.  Totally different inventories in the stores, especially with booze.

« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »

So, show of hands, who's excited for the new Bueso? Anyone? Bueller?
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.

Damn, that's cheaper than they sell it for at the brewery.  Let me know if you need help finishing it, I'll be right over.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

So, show of hands, who's excited for the new Bueso? Anyone? Bueller?

Who is Ramon Bueso?

« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »

Holy Shitballs! Joe Canal's by me has VaS in growlers, $10.99/64oz.
Buy Buy Buy!!!!!!
Not much growler experience here, will it stay well until the weekend if I don't open it?

« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »

Computing again, only a near 3 hour delay.  At least I can look for jobs at lunch now if it stays alive.
Nice! Damn computers!