CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 2/8/2021  (Read 2787 times)

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 2/8/2021
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »

Da'GOAT

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »

Saw this and couldn't resist.   Unlike Mr. Raz, this will probably never see use or ash.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »

Starting the afternoon with something different...Alec & Bradley.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »

Hoyo Epicure Seleccion No.2 (Robusto) (4.9"x50)
Pack of 10 / $39.99

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »

This was gifted to me by a friend yesterday.  A late 30's Orpheum Style C.  I've coveted it for years, and he's been willing to sell it to me, but it was always the wrong timing.  Finally was at a point where I had the money and no other priorities.  So we played together at church this weekend and he brought it for me to use.  Sounded amazing.  Knocked my son out.  Even knocked my wife out, and she has NEVER been impressed by the sound of a guitar.  We agreed on Saturday night he'd sell it to me for what he had in it ($1045), and I borrowed it for the night to really work it out and make  up my mind. After the service yesterday, I agreed to buy, just needed his PayPal account to transfer the money.  He told me my money was no good, and that if I wanted the guitar it was a gift.  He said he'd just been waiting for me to finally decide I really wanted it.  I protested, but he was unmoving.  Whattya gonna do with people like that?
I can fully understand acoustic guitars having their voice shaped by the wood, the craftsmanship, like any string instrument.  I don't quite understand the differences in electric guitars however.  If it's electric, can't the voice of any guitar be modified to anything you want electronically regardless of the guitar?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »

Saw this and couldn't resist.   Unlike Mr. Raz, this will probably never see use or ash.
A fine decorative piece, at least. Like the girlfriend of an elderly billionaire.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2021, 01:59:07 PM »

Gurkha's up, no need to post.
That's not way to jack up the post count.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »

A fine decorative piece, at least. Like the girlfriend of an elderly billionaire.
Except I don't have to keep paying.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »

Nice cigar.  Good pepper and spice throughout.  Reminded me of some early CLEs.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »

Hazzuh!
Except I don't have to keep paying.
But you also get to enjoy your piece less than the billionaire would his.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »

Hazzuh!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »

This was gifted to me by a friend yesterday.  A late 30's Orpheum Style C.  I've coveted it for years, and he's been willing to sell it to me, but it was always the wrong timing.  Finally was at a point where I had the money and no other priorities.  So we played together at church this weekend and he brought it for me to use.  Sounded amazing.  Knocked my son out.  Even knocked my wife out, and she has NEVER been impressed by the sound of a guitar.  We agreed on Saturday night he'd sell it to me for what he had in it ($1045), and I borrowed it for the night to really work it out and make  up my mind. After the service yesterday, I agreed to buy, just needed his PayPal account to transfer the money.  He told me my money was no good, and that if I wanted the guitar it was a gift.  He said he'd just been waiting for me to finally decide I really wanted it.  I protested, but he was unmoving.  Whattya gonna do with people like that?
I can fully understand acoustic guitars having their voice shaped by the wood, the craftsmanship, like any string instrument.  I don't quite understand the differences in electric guitars however.  If it's electric, can't the voice of any guitar be modified to anything you want electronically regardless of the guitar?
Well, this is an acoustic guitar, though it has a piezoelectric transducer installed.

But to more broadly answer your question - it's true that the sound of an electric guitar comes from strings vibrating in front of magnetic pickups.  But the materials of which an electric guitar is made influence how the strings move.  If you watch extreme slo-mo video of a guitar string that has been plucked, you'll see that it doesn't move with any apparent order.  It flops like spaghetti, and generates various frequencies and cancellations depending on how it flops.  But it will flop differently with different combinations of materials, which alters what the pickups pick up, and changes the sound. So while you can control a huge amount of what a guitar sounds like by changing the pickups, the same pickups installed in a guitar body made of mahogany will sound different if you pull them out and put them in a guitar body made of Swamp Ash.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2021, 05:41:12 PM »

very cool reminds me of the tiger painting print that was popular in the 70’s
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6