CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 4/13/2021  (Read 5052 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 4/13/2021
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »

Morning ClothesLineTony, NewDryerDave and SleeplessInSeattleManscapingRaz.
#2 Son gave me a brick of Cella shaving soap for Christmas.  That's really good stuff, though a bit high-maintenance.  You have to freeze the surplus or it goes rancid.  But it works really well.  So I ordered in some of their after shave balm.  I'm not so enthusiastic about that.  It has a bit of a garden smell to it - that weeds and dirt smell. 

The new Rockwell 6s stainless-steel razor was also excellent.  I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

Since I was up early and had lots of time, I was tempted to use the very old straight razor.  But had to try out the new safety razor.
Mine isn't a true straight razor, but the same style with replaceable blades. Many moons ago, they had a tent at CF where you could get a straight razor shave. After that, I was hooked. For the shaving cream, I use Hirsh Luxury Shaving Cream, which I have in both lavender and lemon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IE3FAOK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y59ZARPWKVXNE135EXEF
Gillette Proglide and Proglide gel (aloe) for me.
I'm a simple man...
Depends how you define "simple."  Gillette is packing those razors with twice the amount of metal in the multiple blades, all encased in a bunch of plastic made from mideast oil that will be clogging landfills for centuries.  This happened because of an intensive advertising campaign that convinced people that multiple blades are better than one.  It was, of course, bullshit, but people bought it.  Now, no one even asks that question anymore, they just buy whatever Gillette hangs in the aisles of stores.  It's bad for the environment, bad for the wallet, and does nothing for your face, but it's good for China and it's good for OPEC.  And it's "simple" because you don't have to think about it, you just throw whatever you find in the store into your shopping cart, and then throw out three times the waste when all those blades get dull.

But you don't buy cigars or booze that way, so you aren't as "simple" as you claim.  ;-)
True, not simple when it comes to cigars, whiskey or dining out.  Ya gotta enjoy something.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:49 PM »

Morning, muchachos. Insomnia check-in.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Oof. Sorry to see you on here so early, Bret. Good morning to ya.
Is what it is. Guess I'll give myself a luxury shave today.
I think some massage parlors offer a similar service. Morning, SleeplessRaz.
I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.
For that matter, try to find a real barbershop anymore.  The one here in town, which was owned by an old family friend, just closed when "Uncle" Chuck finally retired (at 82).  Now all we've got are a bunch of beauty shops.  That is NOT the same thing.

I guess I've finally gotten old.  I don't much care for the modern world.  You can't smoke in it, you can't chase women in it, and you can't disagree in it.  It smells like Axe body spray, sounds like a digital sampler, and looks like a Prius. 

Listen to me. And I'm not even a Boomer.
Not to mention some Sports Illustrated, Playboy and the daily paper in the waiting area.  And I am a boomer....and proud of it.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:05 PM »

#2 Son gave me a brick of Cella shaving soap for Christmas.  That's really good stuff, though a bit high-maintenance.  You have to freeze the surplus or it goes rancid.  But it works really well.  So I ordered in some of their after shave balm.  I'm not so enthusiastic about that.  It has a bit of a garden smell to it - that weeds and dirt smell. 

The new Rockwell 6s stainless-steel razor was also excellent.  I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

Since I was up early and had lots of time, I was tempted to use the very old straight razor.  But had to try out the new safety razor.
Mine isn't a true straight razor, but the same style with replaceable blades. Many moons ago, they had a tent at CF where you could get a straight razor shave. After that, I was hooked. For the shaving cream, I use Hirsh Luxury Shaving Cream, which I have in both lavender and lemon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IE3FAOK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y59ZARPWKVXNE135EXEF
I'm a simple man...
Depends how you define "simple."  Gillette is packing those razors with twice the amount of metal in the multiple blades, all encased in a bunch of plastic made from mideast oil that will be clogging landfills for centuries.  This happened because of an intensive advertising campaign that convinced people that multiple blades are better than one.  It was, of course, bullshit, but people bought it.  Now, no one even asks that question anymore, they just buy whatever Gillette hangs in the aisles of stores.  It's bad for the environment, bad for the wallet, and does nothing for your face, but it's good for China and it's good for OPEC.  And it's "simple" because you don't have to think about it, you just throw whatever you find in the store into your shopping cart, and then throw out three times the waste when all those blades get dull.

But you don't buy cigars or booze that way, so you aren't as "simple" as you claim.  ;-)
If he truly is simple, then all you've done now is confuse him.
But I'm comfortable in my confusion... :P   :o

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »

Yeah! If ClemsonDave were truly simple, he'd grow a beard.
I do have a beard.  Now if you mean Chris Stapleton/Dusty Hill kind of beard...

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 02:08:33 PM »

Beverage poured, cigar lit, enjoying the simple afternoon.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 02:09:00 PM »

I'm a simple man...

True, not simple when it comes to cigars, whiskey or dining out.  Ya gotta enjoy something.
I try to enjoy everything.  But...I'm complicated.   Or so I'm told.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »

I'm a simple man...

If he truly is simple, then all you've done now is confuse him.
But I'm comfortable in my confusion... :P   :o
That's really all that matters.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »

I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.
For that matter, try to find a real barbershop anymore.  The one here in town, which was owned by an old family friend, just closed when "Uncle" Chuck finally retired (at 82).  Now all we've got are a bunch of beauty shops.  That is NOT the same thing.

I guess I've finally gotten old.  I don't much care for the modern world.  You can't smoke in it, you can't chase women in it, and you can't disagree in it.  It smells like Axe body spray, sounds like a digital sampler, and looks like a Prius. 

Not to mention some Sports Illustrated, Playboy and the daily paper in the waiting area.  And I am a boomer....and proud of it.

Your jealousy shows young padawan.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:06 PM »

;D ;D ;D

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »

Jealousy? More like hostility.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:27 PM »

Hazzuh!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »

Jealousy? More like hostility.
Close relatives.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2021, 03:13:20 PM »

I want to hazzuh too.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2021, 05:33:17 PM »

Still no hazzuh in sight. Turned out to be a beautiful day here. Mid 60s.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »

I'm thinking one more email and then I'll call it a day. Apparently the banter has already called it a day. Until tomorrow, mates.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6