CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 4/13/2021  (Read 5050 times)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
Re: 4/13/2021
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »

Morning, muchachos. Insomnia check-in.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Oof. Sorry to see you on here so early, Bret. Good morning to ya.
Is what it is. Guess I'll give myself a luxury shave today.
I think some massage parlors offer a similar service. Morning, SleeplessRaz.
I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.
For that matter, try to find a real barbershop anymore.  The one here in town, which was owned by an old family friend, just closed when "Uncle" Chuck finally retired (at 82).  Now all we've got are a bunch of beauty shops.  That is NOT the same thing.

I guess I've finally gotten old.  I don't much care for the modern world.  You can't smoke in it, you can't chase women in it, and you can't disagree in it.  It smells like Axe body spray, sounds like a digital sampler, and looks like a Prius. 

Listen to me. And I'm not even a Boomer.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2021, 11:46:37 AM »

Morning ClothesLineTony, NewDryerDave and SleeplessInSeattleManscapingRaz.
#2 Son gave me a brick of Cella shaving soap for Christmas.  That's really good stuff, though a bit high-maintenance.  You have to freeze the surplus or it goes rancid.  But it works really well.  So I ordered in some of their after shave balm.  I'm not so enthusiastic about that.  It has a bit of a garden smell to it - that weeds and dirt smell. 

The new Rockwell 6s stainless-steel razor was also excellent.  I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

Since I was up early and had lots of time, I was tempted to use the very old straight razor.  But had to try out the new safety razor.
Mine isn't a true straight razor, but the same style with replaceable blades. Many moons ago, they had a tent at CF where you could get a straight razor shave. After that, I was hooked. For the shaving cream, I use Hirsh Luxury Shaving Cream, which I have in both lavender and lemon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IE3FAOK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y59ZARPWKVXNE135EXEF
Looks like they also have a Sandalwood, that'll be the next one I have to get. But these containers last forever.
Tell me.  I have soaps and creams likely to last until I retire. 

Sandalwood is classic, but it's tricky, since nobody is actually using Santalum Album oil anymore in shaving soap.  It's too damned expensive.  My first venture into it was Taylor of Old Bond Street, which works great and is lovely at first, but the heavy floral scent eventually becomes cloying. 

I'll have to see what you say about the Hirsch.
Hirsh stuff is fantastic. It's already a cream in the jar so there's no mixing with water to generate a lather, which I think makes for a better lather. The smell is fantastic, and since I'm a yooge fan of lavender, I have yet to tire of it. Plus, I'm cloy by nature.
Sure, it's just more expensive because it doesn't last as long. 

The TOBS Sandalwood I have is a cream, and I also have tubes of Proraso, Palmolive, and Vi-John for travel purposes and because they are classics.  But having learned how to work the harder soaps from an Italian barber, I've come to prefer those.  The trick is to use a Boar-bristle brush rather than Badger, and to put some water into the tub of soap to let it "bloom" for a few minutes...especially if like me you have really hard water. 

Shaving is one of those rare cases where I prefer Italian style over Brit.  ;-)
Interesting. I find I rarely have a proper shave anymore, I usually just use the beard trimmer and trim my neck while I'm tidying up the beard and be done with it, since, you know, quarantine and all. But now I think I've been inspired to give myself one later. A shave, not whatever Tony is thinking. ;)
Let me guess...a Phillips/Norelco OneBlade?

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »

Oh, hey...my portfolio is up $1.20 today.  Gee whiz!

Yeah, that's Joe saying "Excellent.  Send it to the IRS."
Hey, if you've already filed your taxes, at least you'll get to hang on to it for another year before you have to give it up. ;)
Not a chance.  Democrats have been at this tax-and-spend thing a long time.  They know all the tricks.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2021, 11:53:23 AM »

#2 Son gave me a brick of Cella shaving soap for Christmas.  That's really good stuff, though a bit high-maintenance.  You have to freeze the surplus or it goes rancid.  But it works really well.  So I ordered in some of their after shave balm.  I'm not so enthusiastic about that.  It has a bit of a garden smell to it - that weeds and dirt smell. 

The new Rockwell 6s stainless-steel razor was also excellent.  I'm not sure it was worth $60 more than my old Parker 96R, but it fits the hand nicely.

Since I was up early and had lots of time, I was tempted to use the very old straight razor.  But had to try out the new safety razor.
Mine isn't a true straight razor, but the same style with replaceable blades. Many moons ago, they had a tent at CF where you could get a straight razor shave. After that, I was hooked. For the shaving cream, I use Hirsh Luxury Shaving Cream, which I have in both lavender and lemon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IE3FAOK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y59ZARPWKVXNE135EXEF
Looks like they also have a Sandalwood, that'll be the next one I have to get. But these containers last forever.

Sandalwood is classic, but it's tricky, since nobody is actually using Santalum Album oil anymore in shaving soap.  It's too damned expensive.  My first venture into it was Taylor of Old Bond Street, which works great and is lovely at first, but the heavy floral scent eventually becomes cloying. 

Hirsh stuff is fantastic. It's already a cream in the jar so there's no mixing with water to generate a lather, which I think makes for a better lather. The smell is fantastic, and since I'm a yooge fan of lavender, I have yet to tire of it. Plus, I'm cloy by nature.

The TOBS Sandalwood I have is a cream, and I also have tubes of Proraso, Palmolive, and Vi-John for travel purposes and because they are classics.  But having learned how to work the harder soaps from an Italian barber, I've come to prefer those.  The trick is to use a Boar-bristle brush rather than Badger, and to put some water into the tub of soap to let it "bloom" for a few minutes...especially if like me you have really hard water. 

Interesting. I find I rarely have a proper shave anymore, I usually just use the beard trimmer and trim my neck while I'm tidying up the beard and be done with it, since, you know, quarantine and all. But now I think I've been inspired to give myself one later. A shave, not whatever Tony is thinking. ;)
The brand is Classic Samurai:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHNDYSS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9V6X6P43KDH2CBGEJNPZ

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHNDYSS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9V6X6P43KDH2CBGEJNPZ
I meant the beard trimmer.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2021, 11:57:09 AM »

I actually hate massages but love to be shaved. Used to be able to get one for peanuts. Now those luxury barbershops try to rape your wallet while giving you a shave. Like sex, I'll just do it myself and be done with it.
For that matter, try to find a real barbershop anymore.  The one here in town, which was owned by an old family friend, just closed when "Uncle" Chuck finally retired (at 82).  Now all we've got are a bunch of beauty shops.  That is NOT the same thing.

I guess I've finally gotten old.  I don't much care for the modern world.  You can't smoke in it, you can't chase women in it, and you can't disagree in it.  It smells like Axe body spray, sounds like a digital sampler, and looks like a Prius. 

You may not be a boomer, but you've certainly got the bullet points down.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »

I meant the beard trimmer.
Ah, gotcha. Both the beard trimmer (big one with the different guards for length) and the mustache trimmer (small one for around the mustache, ears and neck) I use are Wahl.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »

Gillette Proglide and Proglide gel (aloe) for me.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »

I'm a simple man...

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

You may not be a boomer, but you've certainly got the bullet points down.
And I've reached the age where I'm paying for it, but it's a bunch of punk kids that seem to control it. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »

Hahaha. Well said.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »

I'm a simple man...
Depends how you define "simple."  Gillette is packing those razors with twice the amount of metal in the multiple blades, all encased in a bunch of plastic made from mideast oil that will be clogging landfills for centuries.  This happened because of an intensive advertising campaign that convinced people that multiple blades are better than one.  It was, of course, bullshit, but people bought it.  Now, no one even asks that question anymore, they just buy whatever Gillette hangs in the aisles of stores.  It's bad for the environment, bad for the wallet, and does nothing for your face, but it's good for China and it's good for OPEC.  And it's "simple" because you don't have to think about it, you just throw whatever you find in the store into your shopping cart, and then throw out three times the waste when all those blades get dull.

But you don't buy cigars or booze that way, so you aren't as "simple" as you claim.  ;-)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »

I'm a simple man...
Depends how you define "simple."  Gillette is packing those razors with twice the amount of metal in the multiple blades, all encased in a bunch of plastic made from mideast oil that will be clogging landfills for centuries.  This happened because of an intensive advertising campaign that convinced people that multiple blades are better than one.  It was, of course, bullshit, but people bought it.  Now, no one even asks that question anymore, they just buy whatever Gillette hangs in the aisles of stores.  It's bad for the environment, bad for the wallet, and does nothing for your face, but it's good for China and it's good for OPEC.  And it's "simple" because you don't have to think about it, you just throw whatever you find in the store into your shopping cart, and then throw out three times the waste when all those blades get dull.

But you don't buy cigars or booze that way, so you aren't as "simple" as you claim.  ;-)
If he truly is simple, then all you've done now is confuse him.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »

Yeah! If ClemsonDave were truly simple, he'd grow a beard.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »

Not to mention some Sports Illustrated, Playboy and the daily paper in the waiting area.  And I am a boomer....and proud of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6