« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2014, 03:22:36 AM »

/quote]Accountability? The two parties are not famous for that either. Who in Washinton is famous for accountability? It will be a revolution, or the end of this Country as we know it. It's already heading in that direction. This is not a case study in class--this is reality. Only so much can a man take. You are brainwashed that there has to be a two party system, but it has been in place for that reason--so we take sides, and it does not matter who wins. Because we all will loose. Maybe not in my lifetime, but maybe our kids lifetime. Wake up! You are spewing the pablum you were fed! Think without the political machine, and all of the brainwashing.
When you say "you" you don't mean me personally, right?  ;-)

I don't believe there should only be two parties.  But there should be parties.  They force their members into principle, discipline, and - when necessary and appropriate - compromise.  That's the only way a Republic will work.  The ideal of the "lone wolf" - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - is a false ideal.  In nature, the lone wolf has been rejected by the pack because he is deficient.  The lone wolf is a leper, if not bodily, then socially.

Think about it in terms of the banter.  Let's say I lose my job on Monday.  I can't buy cigars, or booze to go with them.  Now...if I've lived up to the unstated principles of the banter - don't be a dick, have something to contribute, be generous with what you have - then it would not be out of the question that the amigos here might send me some cigars, maybe some decent beers or booze. We enforce a certain principle here, and it benefits all.  You once sent me a bunch of cigars, just because.  You probably have no idea how often I've told the story of opening that box of cigars, or how many times you've been toasted for it by my friends.  And because of that, I feel a burden to be generous with what I've got.  So Steve inquired about Partagas D#4s, and I sent him one, along with one of each of the best I've got in my humidor.  I did it because I wanted to emulate Ken.  Steve tells me today he's sent me some cigars.  I'm gonna send JR some cigars.  We're all better for it, because there is the gentle - but unyielding - pressure to yield to the principles of the group.

The problem with Libertarianism - even though I agree with its principles - is that it doesn't want to shove itself down anyone's throat.  But with humans, you gotta shove it down their throat most of the time.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »

 5 Montecristo Churchill Extra
          5/32.50
 4 5 Vegas Miami Robusto
         10/34.99
 3 Romeo y Julieta Reserve No.1 Robusto
          5/32.50
 2 Romeo y Julieta Reserve Churchill
         10/34.99
 1 Latitude Zero
          5/22.50
Logged

glassken

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »

[...]

Think about it in terms of the banter.  Let's say I lose my job on Monday.  I can't buy cigars, or booze to go with them.  Now...if I've lived up to the unstated principles of the banter - don't be a dick, have something to contribute, be generous with what you have - then it would not be out of the question that the amigos here might send me some cigars, maybe some decent beers or booze. We enforce a certain principle here, and it benefits all.  You once sent me a bunch of cigars, just because.  You probably have no idea how often I've told the story of opening that box of cigars, or how man times you've been toasted.  And because of that, I feel a burden to be generous with what I've got.  So Steve inquired about Partagas D#4s, and I sent him one, along with one of each of the best I've got in my humidor.  I did it because I wanted to emulate Ken.  Steve tells me today he's sent me some cigars.  I'm gonna send JR some cigars.  We're all better for it, because there is the gentle - but unyielding - pressure to yield to the principles of the group.

The problem with Libertarianism - even though I agree with its principles - is that it doesn't want to shove itself down anyone's throat.  But with humans, you gotta shove it down their throat most of the time.
Bret, has anyone ever told you that you think too much? Well, they were right. I do it too, so welcome to the club. Good night and Vote Libertarian, or start a revolution--even if the first 5000, or 50000 die! That's shoving it down there throats, huh?

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2014, 03:37:15 AM »

[...]

Tell you what, when the revolution starts, I'll be with you on the front lines.  You bring cigars, I'll bring scotch.  And we'll both bring guns. ;-)

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2014, 03:51:48 AM »

Down to the last third of this LP9. It's a fine, sophisticated cigar, but a bit too subtle.  I won't buy a box of them, because they're overpriced for what they are.  But very nice.

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2014, 03:57:02 AM »

And now, I'm a bit drunk.  Been a fun evening, and a fun debate.  Ken, JR, Chip...here's too ya.  It's nice to have friends who'll drink with you, smoke with you, and argue with you.

May you all have a blessed Independence Day.  Up the rebels, down the British.  Thanks for enriching my life.  I bid you peace.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2014, 04:44:43 AM »

Today is Friday, July 4, the 185th day of 2014. There are 180 days left in the year. This is Independence Day.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:23 AM »

Today's Highlight in History:

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:41 AM »

On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted by delegates to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:21 AM »

In 1802, the United States Military Academy officially opened at West Point, New York.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:41 AM »

In 1831, the fifth president of the United States, James Monroe, died in New York City at age 73.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2014, 04:47:01 AM »

In 1863, the Civil War Siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi, ended as a Confederate garrison surrendered to Union forces.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »

In 1872, the 30th president of the United States, Calvin Coolidge, was born in Plymouth, Vermont.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2014, 04:47:39 AM »

In 1912, the 48-star American flag, recognizing New Mexico statehood, was adopted. A train wreck near Corning, New York, claimed 39 lives.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/4/2014
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »

In 1939, Lou Gehrig of the New York Yankees delivered his famous farewell speech in which he called himself "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."