Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.

Agreed.

I haven't had a bad Opus.  Not all of them have had absolute perfect burns or anything like that, but they've all been very high quality cigars.

A few singles, at MSRP?  Sure, why not.  All the craziness that surrounds them and inflated prices and all that?  Yeah, it can fuck off.  And at that price point, you're basically dealing with any cigar you want. So Limited Editions Cubans or maybe Double Coronas for less per stick is the way I'd go if I really wanted to drop $10+ on each cigar.
Amen.

I got 2 boxes of the Upmann Magnum 48 EL09s for $7/stick.  At 5 years old--and there is no reason to think that they have already peaked--they're already better than any Opus I've had.  Exactly what Opus X can you get for $7, even if you were to bulk buy them?  So yeah, that pretty much settles that topic for me.

I'd grab a few singles to enjoy for the flavor profile or whatnot but never as a major source of spending.  I'd sooner buy up some Don Carlos  #3s or #4s., all things considered.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »

As I recall, these had problems with the burn and draw for the bulb, but once they got passed that and were going, they had a strong ash and were fairly well rolled.  For the rosado, at least.  The Maduro never burned right.

And this one has the same lack of draw/smoke, though it is slowly burning.

And it opened up and is smoking very nicely now.  Medium bodied, fairly strong core flavor.  Syrupy/molasses type sweetness, a strong/focused cinnamon type spiciness, woody/nutty/light coffee? tobacco.  No peppery notes, really.   Despite the sweetness on the inhale, the end result is a more savory smoke due to the general spiciness.

Reminds me of the Partagas Spanish Rosado a bit.

Raisin.  That's what I couldn't place.  This has a Raisin flavor to it.  Spicy raisin.  CB's fault.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb

In the middle third, the LSD kicks in.  Then it gets interesting.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.
Fortunately, I wasn't talking about having sex with your wife.  :D
he was talking about his german missus Wilhelm
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb

In the middle third, the LSD kicks in.  Then it gets interesting.
i thought that was on the band

« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.
Fortunately, I wasn't talking about having sex with your wife.  :D
he was talking about his german missus Wilhelm
Achtung, Baby.

« Reply #397 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb

In the middle third, the LSD kicks in.  Then it gets interesting.
i thought that was on the band
Uh...where did you buy these, again?
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #398 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.
Fortunately, I wasn't talking about having sex with your wife.  :D
Bret pm sent .
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #399 on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »

Exile Perfection No. 2 is burning ugly but keeping it together so far.

Just looking up some info on this stick and I came across something I didn't know.  So the Argenti Brothers were behind this cigar and all that, their old brand Cuban Imports and such.  Who helped with the blending?  Omar Ortez.   Who'da known?

« Reply #400 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #401 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb

In the middle third, the LSD kicks in.  Then it gets interesting.
i thought that was on the band
Uh...where did you buy these, again?

I get most of mine from Grateful Dead tribute concerts.   Why, where else do they sell them?
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #402 on: July 02, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Afternoon all just returned from some boating in the marshes.  My son and I Got some LGC Miami Churchill's lit and drinking a wonderful local craft brew Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale.  He starts his last semester of law school in a few weeks so starting celebrations ahead of time.  Quite Nice!!!
law school, that's great. What does he plan to do for work after graduating?
Ha.  Typical Oy humor.  Not far from the truth here in DC area (with lots of lawyers).  Friend's brother is a partner in a big time firm, said the other day that the job market is tight. He'll give a recently graduated lawyer a half hour to advise them on a course to take.  I wanted to refer to him a smart hardworking woman who's been out two years and is temping doing document work.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #403 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.
nice wood, pepper, anise and Novocain.....my mouth feels numb

In the middle third, the LSD kicks in.  Then it gets interesting.
i thought that was on the band
Uh...where did you buy these, again?

I get most of mine from Grateful Dead tribute concerts.   Why, where else do they sell them?
Greatful Dead LSD story. Dropped some liquid before a Dead concert and was tripping balls. I almost got to the edge, but told myself "if you make it past the drum solo, you will be ok". I made it, but not sure I'm ok.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #404 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »

As I recall, these had problems with the burn and draw for the bulb, but once they got passed that and were going, they had a strong ash and were fairly well rolled.  For the rosado, at least.  The Maduro never burned right.

And this one has the same lack of draw/smoke, though it is slowly burning.

And it opened up and is smoking very nicely now.  Medium bodied, fairly strong core flavor.  Syrupy/molasses type sweetness, a strong/focused cinnamon type spiciness, woody/nutty/light coffee? tobacco.  No peppery notes, really.   Despite the sweetness on the inhale, the end result is a more savory smoke due to the general spiciness.

Reminds me of the Partagas Spanish Rosado a bit.

Raisin.  That's what I couldn't place.  This has a Raisin flavor to it.  Spicy raisin.  CB's fault.
So do the Verdadero Organic, but it's non-spicy raisin. 8)